ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-2nd-gen-2004-2009-164/)
-   -   Is it worth it to do the NAV update on my 2007 RX350? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-2nd-gen-2004-2009/550206-is-it-worth-it-to-do-the-nav-update-on-my-2007-rx350.html)

RX330inFL 02-13-11 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by RMB350 (Post 6143543)
I heard that Homeland Security is shutting down these illegal sports jersey makers, why not go after these pirates as well.

No, just Steelers and Penguins jerseys in their latest raid. :D

YWW 02-15-11 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by farcry80 (Post 6108019)
I recently bought a 2007 Lexus RX 350 with the original maps. I wanted to know in addition to the updated maps is there anything else you get when you update the navi to 10.1 (the most recent I think).Thanks.

Yes, it's well worth it to get the 2010 version especially when your version is so old. The standard retail is about $199 but some Lexus dealers do offer them at a discount. Installation is a 2-minute job--super easy. Some dealers charge $75 to install which to me is a big rip-off.

There is one problem with all the Lexus/Toyota NAV system regardless of vintage. When you enter in a destination, it'll tell you the miles and driving time to get there. On very long all day trips involving hundreds of miles, the driving time is totally screwed up. It can be off by 3 or more hours. Easiest way to check that is if you do the same routing on Mapquest. Mapquest's estimated driving time will be about 3 hours LESS than your car's estimated driving time. At first I thought the driving time would be updated once you started rolling and cruising at highway speed but the driving time remains off until you are almost at your destination. I contacted Lexus as well as with the local dealer with this issue and they couldn't provide an answer. I also thought it was just unique to my car or disk until my 2 neighbors were telling me the same issue on their Lexus after they came back from a very long cross country drive. I should mention that there is no problem with the distance given and the map data.

MC5Wes 02-19-11 06:36 AM

Nav Distance

What you are seeing is the averaging the Lexus Nav computer does.

I drive from LA to Vegas twice a month. The computer averages the speed. So if I am driving 85. It still shows it taking 1 hour to do 60 miles.That's just the way it works.

It also works in the other direction. Say you on your trip and going 5 mph through a parking lot. It doesn't show that it will now take 10 hours to get 60 miles. Still shows 1 hour.

JForce 02-19-11 07:26 AM

There is a place in the settings to where you can change your driving speed that it calculates the time based off of distance.

YWW 02-19-11 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by MC5Wes (Post 6158862)
What you are seeing is the averaging the Lexus Nav computer does.

I drive from LA to Vegas twice a month. The computer averages the speed. So if I am driving 85. It still shows it taking 1 hour to do 60 miles.That's just the way it works.

It also works in the other direction. Say you on your trip and going 5 mph through a parking lot. It doesn't show that it will now take 10 hours to get 60 miles. Still shows 1 hour.

Yes, I know the computer averages the speed but shouldn't it be updated on the driving time after driving for couple of hours on highway speed? On a 10+ hour trip, the NAV driving time initially is off by 3 hours or more and this "error" gap seems to taper down as I get very close to my destination. Why is Mapquest estimated driving time so accurate? I'm not sure what Mapquest uses for an average highway speed for their driving time calculation. So are you saying your LA to Vegas driving time from your NAV is very close to your actual driving time? I should say my experience with this problem has been persistent in all previous NAV versions since I average about 4 cross country drives a year and I buy a new NAV disc each year. Maybe the setting in my vehicle's NAV is incorrect but how do I get that adjusted? I looked thru the menu and can't find such an adjustment.

MC5Wes 02-19-11 12:31 PM

Nav Adjustment

I looked through my Owners Manual. And didn't see any adjustment for cruise speed.

JForce do you know where it is?

The tapering you see is the result of the averaging. As you near the destination. The distance and time with be closer. As the longer the distance the error would be bigger.

Your Internet Map also averages. When you type in the destination. It averages the distance.

For example I just typed in Los Angeles to Key West in Google maps.

1 day 23 hours
2,905 mi

What is 2905 miles divided by 47 hours?

61.8 MPH

If you take I-10 east and I -75 south all the way. And drive 75 miles an hour. It would be 39 hours. So your off by 8 hours on Google maps.

MC5Wes 02-19-11 12:36 PM

Distance

Just to check. Mapquest shows the time from LA to Key West as 44 hours and 28 minutes. Which is ?

65 MPH

YWW 02-19-11 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by JForce (Post 6158938)
There is a place in the settings to where you can change your driving speed that it calculates the time based off of distance.

I just found it. It's in the MENU screen and under SETTINGS. I believe the second line in the SETTINGS screen says "SPEED SETTINGS" where it allows you to adjust RESIDENTIAL, CITY AND HIGHWAY speeds. On mine, the HWY speed was set at 55mph which may very well explain the time difference on an all day long distance drive. I reset mine to 75 which should shorten the estimated driving time and besides I usually cruise around 80 anyway. I'll find out in a few months when I do my next cross country drive to see how it goes. In fact, I'll mention that to my 2 neighbors since they were complaining the same issue.

Rainbird 02-19-11 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by YWW (Post 6159716)
I just found it. It's in the MENU screen and under SETTINGS. I believe the second line in the SETTINGS screen says "SPEED SETTINGS" where it allows you to adjust RESIDENTIAL, CITY AND HIGHWAY speeds. On mine, the HWY speed was set at 55mph which may very well explain the time difference on an all day long distance drive.

Thanks for the travel time settings tip. I have the new Gen5 10.1 DVD in my 2007 RX350 and the settings are as follows: Menu Button ---> Setup ---> Estimated Travel Time ---> Set Speed ---> Residential, Main Street and Freeway. The Residential cannot be changed from 25 mph.

RX330inFL 02-19-11 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX (Post 6121269)
I usually give the advice of getting it every other year, unless you live somewhere or travel a lot.

Recalculating...

Turn right, NOW!!! :D

Love those Allstate Mayhem commercials. Especially the one where "Mayhem" is laying up front acting as the GPS.

MC5Wes 02-19-11 11:40 PM

Update

I just got my new update. So after I put it in. I will update the settings.

Thanks

rme 05-28-11 05:53 AM

I update every 5 years...just did one recently and bought the disc from sewell lexus...it was kind a change in the crt but I don't really think the road system changes that much in 2 or three years...Just my 2c though.

koric 05-28-11 10:49 AM

My SA told me to wait til October because that's when the new NAV update comes out.

rme 05-30-11 06:52 AM

I was told by my dealer the updates are completed by Nov then issued as late as Feb which is why they are already out of date by the time they put them in the new cars and the warranty is still valid. But who knows your info sounds better than mine....LOL