RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How To Program 2005 RX330 Key

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 06:46 PM
afaik
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How To Program 2005 RX330 Key

Just thought I would post this here to just incase anyone want's to know how to get a working key without spending $300 at the dealer.

So I got my Toyota Smart Keymaker in the mail today. I was able to program my key and immobilizer for my 2005 RX330. Total cost was $119. $67 for key (Ebay user: midwestkeyless), $32 for Smart Keymaker (ebay user:accmonster ), and $20 to have the key cut at Lexus of Bellevue.

Here's what I did:
1) Buy Key/Transponder
2) Buy Toyota Smart Keymaker
3) Have key cut by dealer or locksmith
4) Program the keyless entry by:
Start with the key out of the ignition. Open the driver door (all other
doors are closed). Driver door is unlocked (other doors don’t matter).
Perform these 2. steps within 5 seconds
a. Insert the key into the ignition (don’t turn it) Pull key out
b. Insert the key into the ignition (don’t turn it) Pull key out
3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds
a. Close, then open the drivers door.
b. Close, then open the drivers door.
c. Insert the key into the ignition (don’t turn it) and pull it out.
4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds
a. Close, then open the drivers door.
b. Close, then open the drivers door.
c. Insert the key into the ignition and leave in the ignition.
Close the drivers door
Turn the ignition to ON (as far as you can go without cranking the
engine), then back to off .
d.
e. Remove the key from the ignition.

Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should lock then unlock
automatically indicating successful entry into programming mode.
Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

USING NEW KEY:

6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds
Press the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter
simultaneously for 1.5 seconds
a.
Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons, press
the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds,
the door locks should lock then unlock once indicating successful
programming. If the door locks cycle twice, repeat steps 6a and 6b
as the remote was not accepted.
b.
7. Open drivers door
5) Now to use the Smart Keymaker, just disregard all the engrish instructions you see online, it's pretty straight forward plug and play.

Put original MASTER key into ignition, plug in the Smart Keymaker to the OBDII port under the steering wheel, Turn ignition to ON, Don't crank. Wait a few seconds you will hear a bunch of Beeps and then a LONG beep that last for a few seconds. After that, turn the ignition to off and remove the MASTER key. Stick in the NEW key and turn to ON, just wait a few seconds. It should have programmed and you should be able to crank the engine on after that. At least that's how it worked for me.

- Good luck all
Old 10-14-10, 08:14 AM
ycl1688
Driver

Originally Posted by afaik
Just thought I would post this here to just incase anyone want's to know how to get a working key without spending $300 at the dealer.

So I got my Toyota Smart Keymaker in the mail today. I was able to program my key and immobilizer for my 2005 RX330. Total cost was $119. $67 for key (Ebay user: midwestkeyless), $32 for Smart Keymaker (ebay user:accmonster ), and $20 to have the key cut at Lexus of Bellevue.

Here's what I did:
1) Buy Key/Transponder
2) Buy Toyota Smart Keymaker
3) Have key cut by dealer or locksmith
4) Program the keyless entry by:

5) Now to use the Smart Keymaker, just disregard all the engrish instructions you see online, it's pretty straight forward plug and play.

Put original MASTER key into ignition, plug in the Smart Keymaker to the OBDII port under the steering wheel, Turn ignition to ON, Don't crank. Wait a few seconds you will hear a bunch of Beeps and then a LONG beep that last for a few seconds. After that, turn the ignition to off and remove the MASTER key. Stick in the NEW key and turn to ON, just wait a few seconds. It should have programmed and you should be able to crank the engine on after that. At least that's how it worked for me.

- Good luck all
thanks for posting on both here and hybrid sections, as for the keymaker, the one at the hybrid is red one with button on it, this is what I have, the button has to be pressed in order to work, that is what I am going to try out this weekend.

as for yours is that close to this one without button ?
http://www.automam.net/toyotasuperman.htm
Old 10-14-10, 10:58 AM
afaik
Driver School Candidate

I got this one:

Smart Keymaker

There is a black button at the end(EDIT: That's just a speaker for the beeping), I am not sure what it does, I might have pressed it when pushing it into the OBD II connector but I am not sure..lol.

I was not aware that the hybrid has a start button, if it's anything like my s2000 then the start button just turns the engine over. I wouldn't think it would apply to using this keymaker as I never had to turn the engine over, just had to power the car ON. I think it's just some bad translation when they mention anything about a START BUTTON, probably just meaning to start the power on. This is just my assumption, I really have no idea with the hybrid.

Last edited by afaik; 10-15-10 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-14-10, 11:28 AM
ycl1688
Driver

afaik,

Thanks. My keymaster just looks like yours. what i meant is the white bulb (under the label) can be pushed down. Anyways what you have done is hands down success, how can I argue with that. The end result is you can use the new key to unlock doors and turn ignition without bothering the Security system ? Once again thanks for your advice and the brilliant experiment, shall let you know when I get a chance to program my new keys. I have 2 new keys to program. What do you think the procedure be ?

Last edited by ycl1688; 10-14-10 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-14-10, 11:59 AM
afaik
Driver School Candidate

I can't say how it goes with the hybrid but I would assume it's the same procedure. As long as you have to stick the key into the ignition and turn it to power the car on. It has nothing to do with the start button. I never noticed that bulb or pressed it down so I am not sure what it does, if anything.

One thing to note, I just noticed that although the key appears to fully work, unlock, lock, lift gate, and turn the car over....I do see the security light above the radio blinking while I drive, it's a faint light and it doesn't bother me but it's not how it works when the original master key is in(EDIT: It was blinking regardless of what key I had in there, problem solved below). Maybe it's being recognized as a valet key? Since this is just for a spare i'm not going to bother with it.

Last edited by afaik; 10-15-10 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-14-10, 06:47 PM
vg1134
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the post. I will be needing another key soon.
Old 10-15-10, 09:52 AM
afaik
Driver School Candidate

I can't say how it goes with the hybrid but I would assume it's the same procedure. As long as you have to stick the key into the ignition and turn it to power the car on. It has nothing to do with the start button. I never noticed that bulb or pressed it down so I am not sure what it does, if anything.

One thing to note, I just noticed that although the key appears to fully work, unlock, lock, lift gate, and turn the car over....I do see the security light above the radio blinking while I drive, it's a faint light and it doesn't bother me but it's not how it works when the original master key is in. Maybe it's being recognized as a valet key? Since this is just for a spare i'm not going to bother with it.
Solved the security light blinking problem, just needed to turn the ignition on and off 5 times really fast. Now all is perfect

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...any-ideas.html
Old 10-15-10, 10:17 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Thanks for this. This is great!
Old 10-15-10, 10:52 AM
ycl1688
Driver

Solved the security light blinking problem, just needed to turn the ignition on and off 5 times really fast. Now all is perfect

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...any-ideas.html
afaik,
Just to be sure do you suggest doing the 5 times key turning work after taking the keymaker out of the OBDII port ?
Old 10-15-10, 11:17 AM
afaik
Driver School Candidate

Yes, the keymaker was NOT connect to the car when I turned the ignition to the "on" and "off" position 5 times.
Old 10-15-10, 07:50 PM
afaik
Driver School Candidate

On a side note, I always hoped there was some way to do the "pedal dance" to program the immobilizer on this car but for some reason it appears lexus didn't allow that for this particular vehicle. http://www.keymam.com/ru/news_view.asp?newsid=58
Old 10-18-10, 08:27 AM
ycl1688
Driver

situation has been turned worst, I have 2 original remotes one work normal, the other just can open the doors and close, could not turn the engine, I called the dealer they advised to change the battery in the remote, one lesson learnt not to diy on this key maker. this afternoon I have to get the remote battery change see what happens.
Old 10-20-10, 10:42 AM
afaik
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to hear that, so the smart keymaker was never able to get the car into programming mode? Did you ever hear a 4-5 seconds long beep noise after plugging it in?
Old 10-21-10, 08:01 AM
ycl1688
Driver

Smile

Sorry to hear that, so the smart keymaker was never able to get the car into programming mode? Did you ever hear a 4-5 seconds long beep noise after plugging it in?
Thanks for you concern. I did hear 4-5 beeps after plugging the key master. The problem might be with the new key, there is no way to know. To make a long story short I had two original keys, the one that I did not touch can only unlock and lock doors and the ignition cannot be turned, another words cannot operate car. The one original that involved first the security light was flashing while driving the car (like yours had) and after few tries with on/off 5 times.
It was an horrifying experience. Later when I look into ebay people were complaining about dead battery and problems with starting after using the key maker.
At then end I have to go to the lexus dealer to let them program the 2 original keys with $68 out of my pocket. This is a no win situation. At this moment I am holding 2 original key that are working and two key shells that have the key cut to the original ones. So I am still alright with 2 workable keys and can use the keys shells to swap the transponders and workable. The lesson I learnt is not to mess around with the security system.
Old 12-29-10, 07:42 AM
MMS4MSU
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody else confirmed the Smart Keymaker can program a master key? Will work for a 06 RX400h? Thanks

Quick Reply: How To Program 2005 RX330 Key