RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Poor Quality

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-08, 06:10 PM
mandyfig

Received 413 Likes on 364 Posts

Keep on venting...somehow it will end up on Lexus' table....guaranteed. Times have changed. The consumer is well informed and well connected. Be persistent but fair.
Old 09-03-08, 03:17 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rainbird
You need to be in contact with Lexus Corporate. Look at the thread reference below. He got his problem Lexus RX350 REPLACED with a new vehicle.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=354505
Yeah but what that thread didn't reveal was how this guy slagged off the Lexus Marque as "not a true luxury vehicle" until they gave him another one.

Funny how all of a sudden it became a "true luxury vehicle"
Old 09-03-08, 02:29 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by harleydjce
On my 2nd RX and 3rd Lexus overall.

I relatively minor issue over 3 vehicles but then all Aussie Lexus are made in Japan.

From what I've seen, you guys in NA have a fair share of problems with NA made vehicles across the board. Both the Alabama BMW's and Tuscaloosa Merc have their share of problems as well.
rather then rewrite all the issues ive had with my rx330 im just gonna say that tbhe whole made in america and japan thing doesnt make any diffrence. my rx330 came from japan, so did my mechanics 2005 rx330 and both of our cars have had a lot of issues.
Old 09-03-08, 04:15 PM
Who_Me
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2007 RX 350 has been free of any mechanical defects and I am approaching 20K miles. My only problem is that it is way over-priced for the car that it is. You can't make a car a luxury car by adding $20K to the price tag and charging absurd amounts for service. The RX 350 is far, far behind luxury cars in technology and features. Simple things, like turn signal displays in the mirror, are standard on even non-luxury cars. The Lexus Nav system may be the poorest one I have ever seen. When we go on trips, I take the Garmin from my wife's car because it is more accurate and easier to use. I can update the Garmin for $60 on-line, whereas it costs about $300 to get my RX Nav system updated at the dealership. I just had the $20K service last week. That consists of oil/filter change and inspection of fluids and belts. It cost $138 for what I could have had done at Jiffy Lube for $19.95.

Consumer Reports still rates the Lexus as one of the best cars on the road. However, I won't be owning another one. Before mine reaches that 60K mile service that costs mega-bucks, I will just trade it for a Honda and get my change in Smart cars.
Old 09-03-08, 08:08 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Who_Me
My 2007 RX 350 has been free of any mechanical defects and I am approaching 20K miles. My only problem is that it is way over-priced for the car that it is. You can't make a car a luxury car by adding $20K to the price tag and charging absurd amounts for service. The RX 350 is far, far behind luxury cars in technology and features. Simple things, like turn signal displays in the mirror, are standard on even non-luxury cars. The Lexus Nav system may be the poorest one I have ever seen. When we go on trips, I take the Garmin from my wife's car because it is more accurate and easier to use. I can update the Garmin for $60 on-line, whereas it costs about $300 to get my RX Nav system updated at the dealership. I just had the $20K service last week. That consists of oil/filter change and inspection of fluids and belts. It cost $138 for what I could have had done at Jiffy Lube for $19.95.

Consumer Reports still rates the Lexus as one of the best cars on the road. However, I won't be owning another one. Before mine reaches that 60K mile service that costs mega-bucks, I will just trade it for a Honda and get my change in Smart cars.
I agree with you on a lot of what you mentioned, but the main thing is that I did my research prior to buying the RX. I knew I wanted a reliable family SUV for the next 10+ years and was willing to pay more for the "luxury." I negotiated hard to pay under invoice, opted not to get the Nav, and have been more than happy with my Garmin. As for maintenance, I found a great independent Lexus mechanic and never pay anywhere near dealership prices. 2 years later, the RX has been doing great (knock on wood).
Old 09-03-08, 11:03 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

from what i hear most luxury nameplates charge a lot for service. i dont have an issues per se with lexus fees, but more for their absurd maintenance schedule. you can always save money by going to a toyota dealership that is willing to do lexus service or not follow the schedule like what i do (dont')do.?
Old 09-04-08, 12:45 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sportsfan8
Getting a lot of whiners on here.
I don't have an '08 that I have paid a ton of pocket change for but if I had that kind of luck with a new Lexus, any Lexus, I'd be ticked too. My wife drives an '02 Camry that has been absolutely trouble free! Not one single problem in 6 years. I sure as heck didn't pay for that Camry what he paid for the RX. Why shield those that are thinking about an RX from the real world- and that is the real world! I don't think any forum should be a ***** board but neither do I think it should shield anyone from the good, bad or the ugly. Let people know ALL of the way it is in the real world and make up their own mind from there. I belong to forum sites to contribute, but also to learn. If I'm only getting a one sided, distorted picture (either side) I'm not learning. Only one man's opinion but I believe it's a valid one.
Old 09-04-08, 07:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

As much as I love Lexus and the RX300 that I have, it wasn't trouble free even when I had it stock. Nothing is, but I still love my little RX. And as we have seen on this forum, despite the mystique I know Lexus would like about their vehicles being of the highest quality, you still will have cracks so to speak, and issues can and will arise.

Best thing you can do is as descriptively as possible mention what the problem is. Keep in mind that the RX-series is Lexus' cash cow, so you can very well bet they read my posts along with everyone else's here.
Old 09-04-08, 07:10 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AM1
from what i hear most luxury nameplates charge a lot for service. i dont have an issues per se with lexus fees, but more for their absurd maintenance schedule. you can always save money by going to a toyota dealership that is willing to do lexus service or not follow the schedule like what i do (dont')do.?
And a lot of the stuff you can DIY, that's the major thing I have been trying to preach.
Old 09-04-08, 11:56 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
And a lot of the stuff you can DIY, that's the major thing I have been trying to preach.
YOU GO BOY!!!!!!!..........
Old 09-04-08, 02:24 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lexus114
YOU GO BOY!!!!!!!..........
Gracias.

One other point I want to add to be fair to Lexus. Most of the work I have had to do on my RX is really nothing more than normal maintenance. Granted, over the years we have had small issues here and there...and perhaps this came as a result of being where I was, Mexico City, and all the crazy things and wild roads and issues that can result, but my little RX300 held up pretty well and now it will get a much quieter life at sea level on U.S. roads. I saw A LOT of other vehicles in Mexico City, many of which also run on U.S. roads, and many of which went through my uncle's shop and you better believe I am still happy I chose to bring an RX300 to Mexico rather than some other AWD vehicle, which really was what I was looking for. You name it, my uncle, my cousins and I fixed it, but it brought a real joy every time we finally realized that all of that work we did on my RX was basically nothing more than maintenance or a small problem that needed simple fixing. And of course, there were all those modifications and drag racing. To this day, the last thing really amazes me. I think that some of the problems that went beyond normal maintenance were either/or partially my fault with the way I modified my RX or just the craziness that is Mexico, but if I had to choose again to take something to Mexico, it would still be my RX300.

Knowing that Lexus will shortly make its way to Mexico later this year, I wish them every success and hope it goes better than planned.
Old 09-04-08, 02:39 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
i agree there, but the thing is that most people probably just take their cars in for service even if it needs it or not. or they can save $$$ by taking it to their local toyota dealer and many times cut the cost by half or so. most people i know that own lexus or other luxury cars either dont have the time or the patientce or know how to work on their own cars. and in some cases they purposely make the cars hard to work on (not lexus), so you are forced to bring it to the dealer.
Old 09-04-08, 03:29 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AM1
i agree there, but the thing is that most people probably just take their cars in for service even if it needs it or not. or they can save $$$ by taking it to their local toyota dealer and many times cut the cost by half or so. most people i know that own lexus or other luxury cars either dont have the time or the patientce or know how to work on their own cars. and in some cases they purposely make the cars hard to work on (not lexus), so you are forced to bring it to the dealer.
Quite true. I think one of the best things I see in these forums is when people bring up that they have their 90K or whatever mileage service coming up and what they really need or do not need, and the various costs involved. I have known quite a few people who go armed with posts from the RX forums and say, "hey, this person paid X, so why am I paying X much more."

I was showing my college roommate, he has a Z06 Corvette, how to do some things DIY or even how simple some things are for just any mechanic, rather than taking it to the local Chevy dealership and he was saying something to the fact, "thank God, because the last thing I want to do is put the service advisor's kid through college, it's hard enough these says worrying about saving up for my own."
Old 09-04-08, 06:13 PM
banjo
Driver

Hey guys...Not being a do it your self type person I just want to know if all the things Lexus says you need to do on the different service schdules are really important...I love my rx but can't afford the service...Please tell us what we need other than oil changes...I have a 08 RX 350 with 16000 miles and have had everything done at Lexus so far....Thanks
Old 09-04-08, 06:34 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by banjo
Hey guys...Not being a do it your self type person I just want to know if all the things Lexus says you need to do on the different service schdules are really important...I love my rx but can't afford the service...Please tell us what we need other than oil changes...I have a 08 RX 350 with 16000 miles and have had everything done at Lexus so far....Thanks
A already mentioned there are a couple of ways to save money. Toyota dealerships will perform all service at typically 15-25% below the fees charged by Lexus. Often the Lexus dealer will match their price if pressed. Toyota will not do any warranty work however. Another method is to find a good independent Lexus service man in your area. Lastly, I find that I signed up at Woodfield Lexus (www.woodfieldlexus.com) for their monthly emails and service coupons every month. My Lexus dealer accepts these coupons.

Here is a current link to service coupons: http://www.woodfieldlexusads.com/Ser...ecials_Ad.html

Try asking your dealer if they will honor service coupons from other Lexus dealerships.

Quick Reply: Poor Quality