RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

transmission fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-08, 03:01 PM
robbiemcve
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission fluid leak

Hello all - sorry that i haven't introduced myself before..

I am a new owner of a RX300 2004 in the UK. Since i have had the car it has been leaking transmission oil.
The oil is coming from a hole next to the drive shaft, that seems to be an overfill hole but i am a little concerned with it...

The hole is on the right side of diff - if you looking from the back of the car - to me in the UK this is the drivers side...

Just wondered f anyone out there can tell me if this is a overfill or do i have a problem?

I've checked the transmission dip stick and there is alot of oil in there..

Thanks in advance
Rob
Old 08-10-08, 04:58 PM
rxovermdx
Driver

previous owner probably abused it; kicking it manually into D, peeling out, etc. This needs a closer attention for sure
Old 08-10-08, 07:29 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus Rob.

See this recent thread, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=369453 and let me know if that might be the area.

Also since you have the 1MZFE RX300 (despite the new body design) it should look similar (although mine has a modified exhaust) to this photo below. See if you can possibly identify the area in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails transmission fluid leak-newdownpipe1.jpg  
Old 08-10-08, 07:32 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

There is a hole on the rear of the transmission (that should be capped off), but is located here. However, I am betting that what you probably have is a leaking transfer case.
Attached Thumbnails transmission fluid leak-img_3588.jpg  
Old 08-11-08, 01:04 AM
robbiemcve
Driver School Candidate

thanks very much for the replies!!! and thanks for the welcome.
i can see that there is fluid leaking from a different place to the ones you have pointed out...

There appears to be a breather hole - i've poked something in it to check that it is a hole where i have placed the circle on the picture.
There is no fluid leaking from anywhere else though

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails transmission fluid leak-newdownpipe1.jpg  
Old 08-11-08, 01:49 AM
robbiemcve
Driver School Candidate

i've just been onto Lexus and they have said that its a big job as there is a seal that needs to be replaced with engine and transfer out.. parts cost £120 and the labour is 11 hours... sheesh!!

Wonder what i should do now ...?
Old 08-11-08, 05:41 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow, for that sort of money I would: Plug the hole with something, buy a case of transmission fluid, and fill it up every week. WHEN the tranny finally blows up, if ever, I would spend the money instead on replacing the transmission--not just putting in a new seal!
Old 08-11-08, 07:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Are we talking about the transmission or the transfer case? From what it sounds like we are talking about the transfer case, which can leak out of either side if there is bad seal. This is the general area on the left side of the transfer case, but there is another seal on the right side.
Attached Thumbnails transmission fluid leak-img_3604.jpg  
Old 08-11-08, 07:22 AM
robbiemcve
Driver School Candidate

im not sure if this is the same on the transfer for the LX 300 in the UK - it seems that the engine is the same as the LX330.
The leak appears to be from the hole in the differential (transfer case), close to where the drive shafts are connected.

This is on the right side of the car if you are looking from the rear.. ie passenger side in the states.
Old 08-11-08, 07:22 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by biff44
Wow, for that sort of money I would: Plug the hole with something, buy a case of transmission fluid, and fill it up every week. WHEN the tranny finally blows up, if ever, I would spend the money instead on replacing the transmission--not just putting in a new seal!
Black urethane!,fix`s everything.
Old 08-11-08, 07:46 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by robbiemcve
im not sure if this is the same on the transfer for the LX 300 in the UK - it seems that the engine is the same as the LX330.
The leak appears to be from the hole in the differential (transfer case), close to where the drive shafts are connected.

This is on the right side of the car if you are looking from the rear.. ie passenger side in the states.
I think the RX300 sold there, the 2004 version, kept the 1MZFE engine.

Let's take a look on the U.S. passenger side of the transfer case, this is the opposite side of the last picture.
Attached Thumbnails transmission fluid leak-img_3621.jpg  
Old 08-11-08, 07:48 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Closer shot.
Attached Thumbnails transmission fluid leak-img_3623.jpg  
Old 08-11-08, 08:09 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Also, if it is only a seal, you can buy a $5 can of transmission seal rejuvenator and maybe fix the problem for the next couple of years!
Old 08-11-08, 10:16 AM
robbiemcve
Driver School Candidate

thats the right side - but i cant see the hole that im referring to i cant see, its clear in the photo of the underside showing your downpipe, but i cant see it in the other pictures...

I've sent the car for independant assesment as it was only serviced 300 miles ago by lexus by the previous owner.

I should have taken a picture of it before i sent it off?
Old 08-11-08, 12:06 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by robbiemcve
thats the right side - but i cant see the hole that im referring to i cant see, its clear in the photo of the underside showing your downpipe, but i cant see it in the other pictures...

I've sent the car for independant assesment as it was only serviced 300 miles ago by lexus by the previous owner.

I should have taken a picture of it before i sent it off?
It's close to here.

That's the transfer case seal for sure and it can leak, though it's not common. I had that happen to me on my RX300 and my uncle back in Mexico replaced both seals when we did transmission work (that's where most of the pictures that I have shown are from).

To work on that seal shouldn't be too bad compared to having to work on the seal on the side facing the transmission, which requires some major work. Tire and axle will have to be removed to get at it.
Attached Thumbnails transmission fluid leak-img_3144.jpg  

Last edited by Lexmex; 08-11-08 at 12:10 PM.

Quick Reply: transmission fluid leak