RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

08-09 RX350 Puddle Mirror Lamps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-08, 07:58 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 08-09 RX350 Puddle Mirror Lamps?

Hey guys with a 08 or 09 RX or anyone with puddle lamps in the mirror? I didn't know they exited I was reading a review from cars.com of a 2008 Rx and the reviewer mention puddle lamps in the miror. This must be a new feature because my 2004 does not have this. Do the new one have it?

"Opening the Lexus door at night is a revelation. Beside the dome lights, there is classy lighting everywhere, including puddle lamps under the outside mirrors that turn on when the doors are unlocked."

http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research....=&aff=national
Old 07-14-08, 08:00 PM
iKon_RX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

newer ones have puddle light. im sure you can get them from lexus get them painted and install yourself.
Old 07-14-08, 08:08 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iKon_RX
newer ones have puddle light. im sure you can get them from lexus get them painted and install yourself.
thats so cool. Does anyone have a picture at one at work?
Old 07-14-08, 09:05 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure where they got there RX from but my 08 RX350 doesn't have mirror mounted puddle lamps. It does have a low mounted lamp in the door that lights the ground when the door is opened. That guys test model has all the same equipment that mine has except the mirror mounted puddle lamp, in fact this is the first time I have ever even heard of them.
Jeff
Old 07-15-08, 12:20 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

We have those on our Lexus IS, but as far as I know, the RX has never had puddle lights on the mirrors. Now, its highly likely that this will be a new feature that is going to be added to the upcoming ‘new and improved’ RX. Also, I believe that the Harrier (the Japanese RX version) has puddle lights, so no doubt there is a kit where one could add them, but I’m betting it would be at a rather exorbitant price point.
Old 07-15-08, 06:24 PM
iKon_RX
Pole Position

check on l-tuned for the jdm part
Old 07-15-08, 06:40 PM
sama
Pole Position

The spyshots of the next gen rx shows LED mirror lamps similar to Audi Q7 but no puddle lamps, but who knows they have them on the IS. So may be they will add them.

Lexus does not offer puddle lights on the current gen of RX or Harrier. They offer Mirror lamps with park assist camera/Auto folding mirrors on the Right Hand drive version on the JDM harriers

I believe couple of CL members installed the Japanese Harrier version of Mirror Lamps.

Any one saying they have puddle lamps on the current version RX must have installed after market products and hence the need to paint. The JDM OEM parts come pre painted and you provide the seller like Carson the factory color code while placing the order. They are expensive now because of the weak dollar $430 approx., they were as low as $360 last year and installation is probably another $200 to $300.

After market products may be cheap but they are not as elegant as the one JDM ones below.
Attached Thumbnails 08-09 RX350 Puddle Mirror Lamps?-rx1.jpg  

Last edited by sama; 07-15-08 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-15-08, 06:44 PM
sama
Pole Position

Another one
Attached Thumbnails 08-09 RX350 Puddle Mirror Lamps?-rx2.jpg  
Old 07-16-08, 05:56 AM
triplecore
Lead Lap

That is so awesome, what color do they blink? Are the LED?

ps So I guess I need around $700; I think I'm going start investing my Keg money into Mirror Blinkers.

If my current mirrors pain is peeling, do you think it can get covered underwarranty so I will pay the Dealer the difference of the standard mirrors compared to those?
Old 07-16-08, 07:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I have those puddle lamps on my GS, they are kind of useless. The signal light on the side mirrors are much more usefull. Personally, I like the lighted running board on the GX much better than the puddle lamp on the GS.

Some owners have looked into replacing the 07 GS side mirrors with the 08 GS side mirrors with puddle and signal lights. The cost was $1600, thats not including labor.
Old 07-16-08, 09:30 AM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I have those puddle lamps on my GS, they are kind of useless. The signal light on the side mirrors are much more usefull. Personally, I like the lighted running board on the GX much better than the puddle lamp on the GS.

Some owners have looked into replacing the 07 GS side mirrors with the 08 GS side mirrors with puddle and signal lights. The cost was $1600, thats not including labor.
$1600 is quite an expense for adding 2 bulbs!
Old 07-16-08, 12:32 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Its for the whole mirror, not just the cover.
Old 07-16-08, 12:35 PM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Its for the whole mirror, not just the cover.
Correct, I understand.. But look at it this way. You currently already have a mirror and as the end result, you will have a mirror with light. So, the end result is $1600 for a light
Old 07-16-08, 01:31 PM
tjain
Driver

Originally Posted by triplecore
That is so awesome, what color do they blink? Are the LED?

ps So I guess I need around $700; I think I'm going start investing my Keg money into Mirror Blinkers.

If my current mirrors pain is peeling, do you think it can get covered underwarranty so I will pay the Dealer the difference of the standard mirrors compared to those?
I have the JDM version installed on my RX350 .It was 400 ($220 for the mirror covers and $180 for labor at a Toyota dealer). Came with factory color code paint, wiring/harnesses/clips/cable ties/complicated instructions in Japanese etc. You have to use your existing mirrors and you reatin the tint/heater features.

The mirror covers also came with an option for auto folding the mirrors when the engine is turned off but the motor/ecu were $900, park assist camera was another $600.

It has 6 amber color LED at the corners on each housing, but are sufficient enough to light the LED housing during night time.

For installing the mirror covers the toyota installer had to remove the door panels to connect the wiring harnesses and run the wires under the dash by removing the under dash panels. I wouldn't do this on my own because if you have any rattle issues later you are on you own.

It also gives an aggressive look to the vehicle because the mirror covers are wider than the stock mirror covers.

It's been almost a year since the install was done and it works great. No rattle issues so far. It looks nice during night time, very bright.

Here is a night time pic
Attached Thumbnails 08-09 RX350 Puddle Mirror Lamps?-mirrorlights.jpg  
Old 07-16-08, 10:08 PM
mihink
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tjain
I have the JDM version installed on my RX350 .It was 400 ($220 for the mirror covers and $180 for labor at a Toyota dealer). Came with factory color code paint, wiring/harnesses/clips/cable ties/complicated instructions in Japanese etc. You have to use your existing mirrors and you reatin the tint/heater features.

The mirror covers also came with an option for auto folding the mirrors when the engine is turned off but the motor/ecu were $900, park assist camera was another $600.

It has 6 amber color LED at the corners on each housing, but are sufficient enough to light the LED housing during night time.

For installing the mirror covers the toyota installer had to remove the door panels to connect the wiring harnesses and run the wires under the dash by removing the under dash panels. I wouldn't do this on my own because if you have any rattle issues later you are on you own.

It also gives an aggressive look to the vehicle because the mirror covers are wider than the stock mirror covers.

It's been almost a year since the install was done and it works great. No rattle issues so far. It looks nice during night time, very bright.

Here is a night time pic
Which dealer did this for you? I am in Central PA and have both Lexus and Toyota dealers here, but don't know if they would be willing to do all of that.
The LED mirrors look great by the way..do they stay on at night as well and how bright are they at night?

Quick Reply: 08-09 RX350 Puddle Mirror Lamps?