RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX vs Murano

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 09:39 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Arnie,

I figured I might add a few random thoughts in here...

First of all, there are two new entrants that I would highly consider in this segment, those being the new Toyota Highlander and Mazda CX-9 which someone already mentioned. Both are top notch utility vehicles with more space than either the RX or Murano, they look great, have beautiful interiors and exteriors, and might fit your bill nicely.

As for Murano vs. RX 350...

While the RX is getting a bit long in the tooth, it still looks great in my opinion. Funny how this generation of RX has received fewer cosmetic enhancements than any other Lexus and it STILL looks so good. Someone mentioned a hesitating transmission but that is not an issue with the new 3.5L V6 and I am sure that you are already aware. You know what you're getting yourself into with the RX because you've already got one, so I won't elaborate too much. You could try something different like an RX 400h or the new RX 350 Pebble Beach Edition which is quite stunning in person. The brown paint they offer and split five spoke wheels are absolutely beautiful in person. It gives the RX a whole new look when you see it in the metal. One of the biggest selling points for the RX over any of it's competitors is going to be the service experience. Lexus service is renowned as the best in all regards, and Nissan typically ranks somewhere near the bottom.

The new Murano looks great to me, and is certainly a lot different looking. My concerns with the Nissan are that it's...a Nissan. The company is well known for a few spotty quality issues but I think they are fine overall. That said, I prefer not to buy a first year model of any car because there are always bugs to be worked out and I would imagine that the Murano might be more prone to them as a Nissan. Service experience won't be like Lexus but you will also have something that's newer and has cooler technology, and it's different from your wife's car.

I understand where you're coming from with wanting to avoid two of the same cars. With the RX you're getting vault like quality and dependability wrapped in a package that is still attractive but has been around for a while. The Murano is unproven but it's new, different, and has some cool features. It's a draw, but I would likely give a slight nod to the RX. Nothing beats Lexus service...especially not Nissan's.

Check out the RX Pebble Beach edition...it's great in person

All of that considered, I'd probably choose the new Highlander over the RX or Murano. I love the shape, the size, the features, and the styling. Plus it's been on the market a bit longer than the new Murano and I have a bit more faith in Toyota quality than Nissan's.

Don't forget to take the Mazda CX-9 for a spin either.

My vote...Highlander. I love it.
Old 04-08-08, 11:10 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by arnieosp
That's exactly what I was afraid of when I started this thread (read my original post). Some people just take it way to close to their hearts, and they remind me few stupid punks from my other (MBZ W124) forum. Lexus is not an sacred cow. That's what Mercedes and BMW used to think of themselves. Other manufacturers can build a better car, and I think Nissan came very close with Murano. Styling is a metter of taste, but driving, handling, features, reliability are there for us to compare, which I did. I will agree, though, that Lexus Service is by far better, but let me remind you that it comes with a price, about $7000 in this particular case.
dont let it bother you. just make good arguments and let the other people start the name calling and mud slinging. they will be the ones in trouble. Find some of my old posts and see what i've said about the car and lexus in general and see the attacks roll in.
Old 04-09-08, 08:07 AM
sama
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
Bottom line, Murano is not a Lexus.
I guess it goes the otherway also Lexus RX350 = Toyota Harrier

This may change next year with the 2010 RX, but for now the reality is:A Lexus can be a Toyota or a Toyota can be a Lexus depending on the market and the underpinnings are still a Toyota.

Also can never compare Lexus to an independent Luxury Brand like Benz or BMW, but the good thing about Lexus it is a Luxury Brand which is Affordable & Reliable compared to Benz or BMW
Attached Thumbnails RX vs Murano-toyoharr.jpg  

Last edited by sama; 04-09-08 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-11-08, 01:22 PM
Kerchak
Driver School Candidate

Default newbie here

First post. I just joined after reading some of the posts here. Looks like a good online community. And despite what I claimed in my registration I do not (yet) own a Lexus.

I have a 2006 BMW 325i, a true dream car for me, but I may have gotten it out of my system. I got the sports package and the suspension wears me out some days, and I long for a taller car... easier to climb in and out of. I need more interior room for comfort (I'm 6'2") and some cargo space.

My wife's car is a Honda Odyssey and we have been very happy with it. But with the wants I outlined above I began thinking of an SUV for me. Started with the Honda Pilot but the new one is scary looking. I've also looked at the Murano, Highlander, and Enclave.

I recently drove the RX350 and I loved it. Wonderful car. It would be pushing the budget just a tad, as the BMW was on the outside of the budget to begin with. I love the Lexus reputation for quality and I think it could be a car I own and enjoy for many years.

But for cost reasons I also have looked at the Murano again, or at least some research. Need to drive it again. Looks impressive.

Later I will drive the RDX and MDX, and the FX. We don't have Infiniti or Acura dealerships in my city, and that troubles me for service reasons. (I imagine the EX would be just too small inside... might as well keep the 325i.)

My question: it seems most of the members here are male. I have a (perhaps silly) stereotype of RX350 drivers as being overwhelmingly female. That is true where I live.

I asked the Lexus salesman and he admitted that the RX350 sold mostly to "women and very intelligent men." I laughed with him on that one.

So, are there plenty of male drivers here? Or is my stereotype accurate?

And, yet, still silly?
Old 04-11-08, 04:28 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Kerchak, I think your observations are correct. I don't know for sure but I suspect that many members of this forum have their RXs as "wife's" cars. I am positive that the vast majority of this forum are men, but let's face it: how many women do you think will join the auto forum. As far as the RX drivers, I see the same thing around me, women outnumber men 3 to 1.
Old 04-11-08, 08:50 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Hi Kerchak, welcome to the forums. My experience is similar to yours in that I had a 02 325i. It was a typical BMW, fun to drive, great handling, but had problems all over the place, especially after the 4 years free maintenance. I should've leased the car, which I hope you did too.

In looking for the next car, I wanted something that was reliable with more cargo room, just something to keep for a while for when I have kids. I went down the usual list of FX, Murano, MDX, etc and the RX350 just kept coming back because the pros outweighed the cons. Yeah, the vast majority of RX drivers around here were slow, middle aged women but I really didn't care. The 270 HP was quick, and I'm a bit aggressive when driving the RX (with no passengers). I also added some subtle exterior changes so I wouldn't look like all the other RX's in my neighborhood.
Old 04-11-08, 09:52 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kerchak
First post. I just joined after reading some of the posts here. Looks like a good online community. And despite what I claimed in my registration I do not (yet) own a Lexus.

I have a 2006 BMW 325i, a true dream car for me, but I may have gotten it out of my system. I got the sports package and the suspension wears me out some days, and I long for a taller car... easier to climb in and out of. I need more interior room for comfort (I'm 6'2") and some cargo space.

My wife's car is a Honda Odyssey and we have been very happy with it. But with the wants I outlined above I began thinking of an SUV for me. Started with the Honda Pilot but the new one is scary looking. I've also looked at the Murano, Highlander, and Enclave.

I recently drove the RX350 and I loved it. Wonderful car. It would be pushing the budget just a tad, as the BMW was on the outside of the budget to begin with. I love the Lexus reputation for quality and I think it could be a car I own and enjoy for many years.

But for cost reasons I also have looked at the Murano again, or at least some research. Need to drive it again. Looks impressive.

Later I will drive the RDX and MDX, and the FX. We don't have Infiniti or Acura dealerships in my city, and that troubles me for service reasons. (I imagine the EX would be just too small inside... might as well keep the 325i.)

My question: it seems most of the members here are male. I have a (perhaps silly) stereotype of RX350 drivers as being overwhelmingly female. That is true where I live.

I asked the Lexus salesman and he admitted that the RX350 sold mostly to "women and very intelligent men." I laughed with him on that one.

And, yet, still silly?
dont automatically think that the RX since it is a lexus is perfect. The Rx has had many major problems and issues, more then what is the norm for lexus. This of course doesnt surprise me since toyota quality is getting worse also. Please, everyone dont flame me for saying that toyota quality is going down because the stats show it is true. i dunno about anywhere else, but almost every RX i see around where i live and work usually are either driven by women or older men. The murano is also a new design and the Rx is up for one very soon, another thing to consider
Old 04-11-08, 10:32 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

And, yet, still silly?

I am a guy. My fascination with the RX is that I am an engineer, and I can understand the engineering tradeoffs made in its design. It is just a very well balanced SUV. It is the right compromise on size, handles well dry or wet, pretty good gas mileage, fast and agile, etc. I have had trucks, vans, full sized SUVs, etc, and the RX fits my needs pretty well. I have an old beater Chevy truck for when I have an urge to bash thru the woods or haul some plywood from home depot. Otherwise, the RX is great for: driving around town, 2000 mile road trips in the snow, hauling my kids stuff to college, etc. Pretty much any thing I ask it to do, it does well. Whats not to like?
Old 04-11-08, 10:33 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Of course Lexus isn't perfect, neither is Toyota. No car is perfect. What's great about forums is reading everyone's different opinions on cars. What's funny and puzzling to me at the same are people who take opinions so personally or offensively (check out the recent thread on the MDX).

If you care about your image in that RX and Lexus drivers are mostly women and old men, then there's plenty of other choices out there. A Hummer or full sized pickup!

Last edited by sportsfan8; 04-11-08 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-11-08, 10:36 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

And, yeah, toyota/lexus quality is not quite what it used to be. But name someone better!
Old 04-12-08, 08:06 AM
Kerchak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sportsfan8
If you care about your image in that RX and Lexus drivers are mostly women and old men, then there's plenty of other choices out there. A Hummer or full sized pickup!
True enough! It is a dumb question. The RX350 has MANY things to admire about it, regardless of gender. Plus, after two white cars in a row I think I'd like something in a dark color, even black, which seems more masculine.

I think I'm little worried about my masculinity! Ha! Better check with my wife.

Which is a funny point. Where so many seem to have problems with the "image" of a minivan my wife is perfectly happy to drive something (our Odyssey) that meets her needs so well. Practical woman. Lucky me!

Yeah... this week my choices have definitely narrowed down to the RX350 and the Murano. I like forums like this for opinions, and thanks for all of yours! I did not know the Rx350 was due for a remake next year, and that is something to consider (just as I have been doing with the Honda Pilot the past few months... but that has turned out poorly.)

It's all a matter of clarifying your wants and needs, needs especially. But after the quality of the BMW (my first really NICE car) it is hard to settle for less. Lexus is looking good...
Old 04-12-08, 12:54 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts

Just had my first (5K miles) oil change done this morning. Asked dealer about major, or any changes in 2010 RX and the answer was “Do not expect any”. Go figure...

Incidentally, there is really cute little girl parks her brand new black on black Murano every morning next to my car and she looks really good in it. So, is Murano more manly vehicle? I’m not sure.
Old 04-12-08, 10:21 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
Incidentally, there is really cute little girl parks her brand new black on black Murano every morning next to my car and she looks really good in it. So, is Murano more manly vehicle? I’m not sure.
May be she is one of them gender-confused alternative folks?
Old 04-12-08, 10:32 PM
LexFather

And, yet, still silly?
Welcome to Clublexus, amazingly I have said the exact same thing the salesman said. Women LOVED the 1RX and Lexus TRIED to make the 2RX appeal to men more but women loved it even more.

I find it to be fabulous, I really think too sporting SUVs miss the point, especially with limited cargo or passenger room. They you read on the internet things like "My ___ is for men, the RX is for girls" and other 3 year old chest humping. It goes both ways, buying a sporty SUV that is basically useless can scream "confused or deficient in other areas" Perceptions are perceptions with any SUV.
Old 04-12-08, 11:39 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

True enough! It is a dumb question. The RX350 has MANY things to admire about it, regardless of gender. Plus, after two white cars in a row I think I'd like something in a dark color, even black, which seems more masculine.

I think I'm little worried about my masculinity! Ha! Better check with my wife.

Which is a funny point. Where so many seem to have problems with the "image" of a minivan my wife is perfectly happy to drive something (our Odyssey) that meets her needs so well. Practical woman. Lucky me!

Yeah... this week my choices have definitely narrowed down to the RX350 and the Murano. I like forums like this for opinions, and thanks for all of yours! I did not know the Rx350 was due for a remake next year, and that is something to consider (just as I have been doing with the Honda Pilot the past few months... but that has turned out poorly.)

It's all a matter of clarifying your wants and needs, needs especially. But after the quality of the BMW (my first really NICE car) it is hard to settle for less. Lexus is looking good...
if you end up getting the RX, before the next year model change, might want to get a real good deal from the dealer.

Quick Reply: RX vs Murano