RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Is new 2008 RX at invoice a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-08, 07:05 AM
njcarlover
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Conrats on your new RX, I just picked mine up recently too. I got an 2008 RX with Navigation. What color did you get? I got Silver with the light gray interior. I too have to learn how to use all the features including the navigation, and rain sensing wipers, etc.
Old 03-19-08, 04:10 PM
YWW
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by njcarlover
Conrats on your new RX, I just picked mine up recently too. I got an 2008 RX with Navigation. What color did you get? I got Silver with the light gray interior. I too have to learn how to use all the features including the navigation, and rain sensing wipers, etc.
We had Savannah, Silver, Blue, White, Red and Bamboo to choose from but unfortunately none have the gray interior my wife wanted so she settled for the Bamboo which turned out to be a very interesting color since it changes depending on where you stand and besides it really hides the dirt. We had a few rain and sleet showers and the only area that's dirty is the back window. There are many things to learn on this vehicle. My wife's only complaint with it so far is she can't see the front of the hood (nor can I) making her nervous when pulling into a parking space or into our garage. I'm sure once she gets used to it, she'll figure that one out. I did dangle a tennis ball from the garage ceiling to tell her when to stop which seems to help.
Old 03-20-08, 07:10 AM
njcarlover
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YWW
We had Savannah, Silver, Blue, White, Red and Bamboo to choose from but unfortunately none have the gray interior my wife wanted so she settled for the Bamboo which turned out to be a very interesting color since it changes depending on where you stand and besides it really hides the dirt. We had a few rain and sleet showers and the only area that's dirty is the back window. There are many things to learn on this vehicle. My wife's only complaint with it so far is she can't see the front of the hood (nor can I) making her nervous when pulling into a parking space or into our garage. I'm sure once she gets used to it, she'll figure that one out. I did dangle a tennis ball from the garage ceiling to tell her when to stop which seems to help.
The Bamboo is a really nice color, it sometimes looks like a cross between Silver and Savannah.

The tennis ball in the garage is a great idea, I should devise something on my end as well. Maybe I'll attach a tennis ball with the Lexus logo onto the front bumber. (just kidding-kind of).
Old 03-24-08, 12:07 PM
Jimkerry
Driver School Candidate

I was quoted invoice for a 2009 in Norcal. Holding out for a 2008 in Flint Mica for the right price or am willing to wait for 2010 redesign. I would try to negotiate $2500 below invoice on a 2008 right now.

Jimbo
Old 05-19-08, 12:49 PM
NesTea420
Pole Position

Default RX350 08 price question

All,

Quick question regarding an offer I got via email from a dealer in the Philadelphia area.

So I have been in email contact with this dealer today, he offered 2008 RX 350 AWD with premium plus package for $39980.

I assume I have room to bargain since this is the price he offered via email. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.
Old 05-19-08, 01:16 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

For an 08, you should be looking at $500 to a $1000 below invoice. Ask for a 09 for that price or a 08 at -$500 to -$1000 below invoice.
Old 05-19-08, 03:16 PM
ZIN
Driver

I can't believe that they still have 08 around yet. I know you can get 09 at $500.00 above invoice so I would think you can get an 08 for $2000 BELOW.
Old 05-19-08, 03:42 PM
NesTea420
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ZIN
I can't believe that they still have 08 around yet. I know you can get 09 at $500.00 above invoice so I would think you can get an 08 for $2000 BELOW.
Ok sorry for the ignorance...does 2000 below invoce mean 38,000?? please let me know asap. If he can offer for 38 K, i plan to visit the dealer tomorrow.
Old 05-19-08, 03:47 PM
ZIN
Driver

What ever the vehicle's invoice sticker says go $2000 below that. To say $38000 is $2000 below invoice we would have to know what options are on the RX and see the invoice.
Old 05-19-08, 04:21 PM
iKon_RX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the dealer to clear out their old inventory, they WILL take a loss if they have too. so try your best to get 500-1500 off invoice
Old 05-19-08, 05:03 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Just purchased a 2009 at invoice so a 2008 should be quit a bit less.
Old 05-19-08, 06:39 PM
NesTea420
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ZIN
What ever the vehicle's invoice sticker says go $2000 below that. To say $38000 is $2000 below invoice we would have to know what options are on the RX and see the invoice.
ok. Here is the reply I got from the dealer.

"The Rx350 with a MSRP of $43300 I can sell it for $39980, let me know, I want to earn your buisness.A base car will be a special order."

I asked him about color and options.

"Any color you want, The car has premium plus package, rain sensing wipers,all it is missing is the Navigation system and bluetooth."
Old 05-20-08, 04:25 AM
SCRXOwner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If that is out the door (with TTL) then you are getting close I think? I am sure others will tell you to get another 2 to 3k off (or more). It does vary by location. I would knock of another 2k off (out the door price) and go from there.

I would think based upon how you described the options that the window sticker price is 41k+ some change. There are a number of web sites that will provide invoice price. Or better yet get the used car trade-in value of a 2008 since the minute you drive it off the lot it is a year old used car. Yes, one with low/no miles but still a model year old used car.

So 39k sounds high if it does not include TTL. If it does squeeze some more out of the deal. Ask the salesman what he can throw into the deal, first 3 or 4 services for free, free car mat, free wheel locks, extend the warranty. They want the 2008s gone so buyers must focus on the 2009s.
Old 05-20-08, 06:00 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Nestea 420, If this is a 08 RX we are talking about, how can the dealer offer you any color you want. I would not think any dealer will have much 08 in stock anymore. Are you aure we are not talking about a 09?
Old 05-20-08, 07:08 PM
Who_Me
Rookie

Originally Posted by YWW
2) the location of the spare tire is actually below the vehicle and not in the "trunk" like a sedan. What we are trying to figure out is whether one has to crawl on the ground to remove the spare tire cover from underneath first before you can lower it to the ground with the rachet. Maybe you guys can explain this to me better. Also the dealer nor the book mentioned anything about the need for a break-in period. Can I assume that's no longer required?

The dealer did try very hard to sell us a $2200 7-yr/100K miles extended warranty and an appearance protection pkg for the exterior, interior and rust proofing. The rust proofing took me by surprise since I didn't think new cars would need any additional rust proofing. They did say this "super" sealant they put on the exterior is good for "life" of the vehicle (warranted for 7 years) and never need any additional waxing at all nor does it require any annual reapplication. Their interior protection is also good for "life" and "better" than Scotch Guard. Their price is $499 for both the interior and exterior. My wife seems to think we should get it. I'm hesitant about it.

Did notice the brakes squeal quite a bit in the morning when backing out of the garage but other times are fine. Not sure why but my other 8-year old Lexus GS with only 38K miles also does that too.

If you guys have any advice on the RX, do let me know. Thanks.
You don't have to crawl under the RX to lower the spare. You do that from an access hole in the cargo area. It is explained pretty well in the thick Owner's Manual that I am still trying to get through 18 months after I bought my RX.

Prior to purchasing my RX, I paid about $35 for the invoice costs of both the car and every accessory for the 3 cars on my short list. Part of the package included what would be a reasonable amount to pay for the car and tips on the negotiations. I got the info from Consumer Reports. They discourage paying for the Rustproofing, interior protection, Ziebart and all that. Your basic car warranty is 7 years against rust-through. Those "Dealer Add-ons" are hugely overpriced. The dealers use those to off-set that "good deal" they gave you. In most cases, dealer financing isn't a good deal either. I had the sales staff thinking I was going to finance through them. When they sent me to the Finance Officer, I asked for a 0-2% on a 3-year loan. They wouldn't go below 8.5%. I had my trusty financial calculator with me so I could calculate the true cost of some of the flim-flam arrangements they threw my way. I finally just wrote them a check for the entire amount and drove out with a clear title. Considering that my money market account was only paying about 2% then, it would have been short-sighted to pay Lexus 8.5% and hold onto my money.

My advice is to pay the 12 for a Consumer Reports invoice and stay away from any of those "special" dealer-installed options.

Quick Reply: Is new 2008 RX at invoice a good deal?