RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Flat Tire...Jack Collapse...TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-07, 02:48 PM
imac22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat Tire...Jack Collapse...TPMS

My Wifes 2008 RX got a flat tire as she was near home, she drove it home, (only 1/4 a mile and there was still air in the tire) When she came home I saw that there was a screw in the left rear tire and pulled it out as it was already almost completely flat anyway. I moved the car to a stable area on my drive way so I can change the flat myself. I followed the instructions in the manuel and put the parking brake on, remove spair, losen each nut slightlyn then started to jack the car at teh jack point with the jack flat on the driveway. I jacked it up enough to remove the spair tire then removed it, about 20 seconds after I removed the tire the jack collapsed, right away i checked to see if the car was ok, there is some metal lip below the brake rotors that is slightly bent, I take the jack out from under the car and see that the metal on the jack has collapsed and bent inward. (How can lexus supply us with such a ******y jack.) Anyway I got a professional jack that I had stored away and jacked the car back up and placed the spair tire on and tightened it and put the lexus logo in the center. But my main question is the metal lip below the brake rotots anything important, the car seems to drive and brake the way it did before the flat, I didnt tell my wife about this and I dont want to, I cant imagine what she would do if she found out I damaged her baby haha . Also I tried following the instructions to resetting the TPM (holding down the reset button intill it flashes 3 times, then wait a few minutes). But I scheduled an appointment at the lexus dealer to have the tire replaced and TPMS reset as I cant do it myself.
Old 10-24-07, 03:31 PM
steiner
Driver

Originally Posted by imac22
My Wifes 2008 RX got a flat tire as she was near home, she drove it home, (only 1/4 a mile and there was still air in the tire) When she came home I saw that there was a screw in the left rear tire and pulled it out as it was already almost completely flat anyway. I moved the car to a stable area on my drive way so I can change the flat myself. I followed the instructions in the manuel and put the parking brake on, remove spair, losen each nut slightlyn then started to jack the car at teh jack point with the jack flat on the driveway. I jacked it up enough to remove the spair tire then removed it, about 20 seconds after I removed the tire the jack collapsed, right away i checked to see if the car was ok, there is some metal lip below the brake rotors that is slightly bent, I take the jack out from under the car and see that the metal on the jack has collapsed and bent inward. (How can lexus supply us with such a ******y jack.) Anyway I got a professional jack that I had stored away and jacked the car back up and placed the spair tire on and tightened it and put the lexus logo in the center. But my main question is the metal lip below the brake rotots anything important, the car seems to drive and brake the way it did before the flat, I didnt tell my wife about this and I dont want to, I cant imagine what she would do if she found out I damaged her baby haha . Also I tried following the instructions to resetting the TPM (holding down the reset button intill it flashes 3 times, then wait a few minutes). But I scheduled an appointment at the lexus dealer to have the tire replaced and TPMS reset as I cant do it myself.

I would bring it in the dealership and tell them exactly what happened. This is so serious. You could be hurt & killed, not to mention what structural damages might be done on your car. The dealership should do a complete check on the car and give you a big apology together with a new jack.

As far as keeping it from your wife, bad idea. She would find out anyway. I don't know how, but they always find out.
Old 10-24-07, 04:26 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steiner
I would bring it in the dealership and tell them exactly what happened. This is so serious. You could be hurt & killed, not to mention what structural damages might be done on your car. The dealership should do a complete check on the car and give you a big apology together with a new jack.

As far as keeping it from your wife, bad idea. She would find out anyway. I don't know how, but they always find out.
This is of great concern. I recently had to change the tyre on my RX and had no issues whatsoever but I am now concerned what could have happened. It is always possible for a "bad" batch of jacks to be produced. When at the Dealership, make sure they demonstrate that the new Jack is up to the task!
Old 10-24-07, 05:24 PM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by imac22
This is very scary to hear,Please express your concerns to Lexus corporate also by calling their number: 1-800-255-3987
Monday - Friday, 6:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., PT
Saturday, 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., PT
That way corporate knows if the dealer finds the problem was in fact the quality of the Jack then Lexus can find what batch of the jacks made it to consumers.
Old 10-24-07, 05:48 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Car jacks should never be trusted.

I as a habit always use the spare as a prop. I had the GS roll on me and the spare caught it. When it rolled, it was unexpected but was my fault.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if (and when) the vehicle rolls, the jack will not be able to hold it back [in engineering terms static load vs dynamic load].

The other thing to keep in mind is that the vehicle when jacked up moves in an arc and higher it goes up the more off center it becomes.

If you study the damaged jack it will give you clues as to what happened. If the base bent in the shorter dimension (perpendicular to the screws) then the vehicle rolled. If the bend is in the longer dimension of base (along the screw) then the jack base sank.

Like every one suggests, take it to the dealer and let them fix the under body damage). AND most important of all get a replacement jack [the failed one is only good for paper weight] and having a working jack is essential.

Salim
ps: It will be prudent to hoist the RX and do a visual check to see what else got bent/damaged.

Last edited by salimshah; 10-25-07 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-25-07, 07:43 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
...I as a habit always use the spare as a prop...
X2
I slide the spare under some part of the vehicle that will result in the least damage should disaster strike.
Of course there is still that 10 seconds when I swap the flat for the spare.
I haven't even looked at my wife's Lexus jack, guess I should check it out.
The Ford bottlejack is decent.

The contraption that BMW provides is a joke. If I get a flat with that, I'll just start walking.
Old 10-25-07, 08:50 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Lexus provides a roadside assistance program that is administered through AAA. It provides four years of coverage on all new vehicles with no mileage limitation.

I had a flat recently and called them. I was on my way within 30 minutes.
Old 10-25-07, 10:17 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

imac22, I assume you had it on level ground,
Old 10-25-07, 11:10 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope that you do two things:
1. go to the dealer and show him the jack and see what he or Lexus is going to do about the collapse.
2. report back to us with a status report so that we can know

If I understand your description, the only thing that was damaged was the thin stamped metal backing plate behind the rotor? If that is the case, this is a functional unit that I would think the dealer fixes. It may be a dust shield or may be deflector. Can't recall its exact function.

Gary
Old 10-25-07, 11:29 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If the dust shield is bent but does not get into the way of rotor, it does not matter much.
The dust shield has a limited function as it only block water or rock from contacting the rotor from one side (inside). The dust shield also block air from cooling off the rotor, so having it decrease braking performance during repeated braking.
At the end of the day the look decides whether to where to put dust shield, it will make wheels/brakes look ugly with a metal covering on the outside, so automakers do a "half-a$$" job of mounting only on the inside: half protection with a half drawback.
Old 10-25-07, 11:37 AM
imac22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
imac22, I assume you had it on level ground,
Yes it was completely level, the car might have lightly rolled but the parking brake was on and it wasnt windy. If I get time i'll take pics of the jack and maybe you guys can help determined if it was my fault or the jack. And to everyone else thank you for helping me out, tomorrow i will show them the jack and tell them what happened and hopefully they will check out the underside and see if anything else is damaged, at least lexus provides roadside assiatance. Next time I don't think im going to take the shortcut and let someone experienced do it. Also I am glad that Lexus supplies us with a full size spair, about four years ago my wife had a flat changed with a donut tire and was about a half-hour from home and the tire overheated and blew out because she was going over max speed for the tire. But anyway ill keep you guys updated
Old 10-25-07, 01:21 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Things to contemplate are: [some you already have]

Which point did you jack up.
Gear Shifter position
How hard was the brake engaged.
How high you lifted. (barely enough to remove or inch above)
How flat (horizontal) was the vehicle before you lifted.
What was the underneath the jack [concrete, soil ].
Was the base of the jack totally flat when you placed it and when the RX was lifted.

Incidentally things happen. Who caused it is not the issue, we just share to educate and learn and vent.

Salim
Old 10-25-07, 01:45 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

OEM jacks provided with practically all cars are a joke. They are an afterthought that no manufacturer spends any money on. I had a scissors jack with one of my Suburbans that wouldn't get a Geo off the ground, let alone three tons of truck. It was incapable of getting one wheel of the truck in the air, and when I tried it on my slightly lighter boat trailer, I broke it.

I've carried a three-ton bottle jack for years in several cars - after reading your story, I think I'll pick one up for my RX and wife's van. They're cheap insurance, and if used with proper jackstands or blocks on solid, level ground, they are safe and effective.
Old 10-26-07, 05:27 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The best bottlejack I ever had was OEM on a '85 Toyota pickup.
I think the MSRP on that truck was $6,100.

I used it to replace/install floor joists under my house.
Old 10-26-07, 05:53 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would agree. It is not your fault unless you really did something wrong which it doesn't seem like that is the case. Manufacturers can't expect the conditions in which these jacks are to be used to be perfect. They supposed to be emergency use tools like when you have an unexpected flat out on the real road. It should be able to withstand a little bit of stress due to imperfect conditions. If it doesn't, it is an engineering flaw.

That said, I've actually used the jack a few times myself (Even though I do have a floor jack which I mostly use) and never had a problem with it. Kind of a scary thought that it could have collapsed though. I do have 4 jack stands that I always use when I get under the car, but I would still hate to have my car come down either way.

Quick Reply: Flat Tire...Jack Collapse...TPMS