RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Opinions on 19" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-07, 04:39 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Opinions on 19" wheels

Dontcha hate these threads? Thanks in advance for feedback...

So, assuming the drop doesn't have too negative of an effect on ride quality, I plan to follow with a set of 19's. After a pretty lengthy search I have it narrowed down to the following:

Privat 'Reserve' 19x8 +30mm

I like the styling (very similar to the RS4 replicas I ran on my old Audi) and they're also available in a glossy silver finish.

TSW 'Catalunya' 19x8 +20mm

The styling of these is a bit strong (too heavy on the rivets) for my tastes, but I do like the more aggressive offset spec.

Thoughts? I plan to run 255/50-19 Toyo Proxes S/T tires. Thanks again...
Old 07-03-07, 05:29 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

If I had to choose between those two, I'd go with the second one. I like the beefier spoke profile on it especially since it's going on an SUV. If it were a car, I'd opt for the first one. Just my 2 cents
Old 07-03-07, 08:17 PM
gonzalu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to TireRack and view wheels ON YOUR car :-)

Although they don;t sell the brand above, you can at least get a general idea of what it will look like.

IF I ever change wheels, it will be at least 20" as anything less looks weak!

http://www.tirerack.com/

TIP: Select car model and year etc. After the wheels come up, to view them on your car, first click on the wheel SIZE for the model interested and then scroll down and click View on Vehicle.

Cheers
Old 07-03-07, 11:01 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey SSR is re-introducing the vienna line....i would check those out.
Old 07-04-07, 09:42 AM
mandyfig

Received 415 Likes on 365 Posts

20 sits right and nice.
Old 07-04-07, 01:28 PM
asianrage
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like the choices. The first one is more suited for a sedan, while th second one is more suited for a Civic, since I've actually seen it on a Civic.

Someone mentioned Tire Rack. There are a couple of selections I'm interested in. They're in 20" sizing because there weren't any good option in 19" size. Also 19" is too small of a step up to make a significant visual change.

OZ Palladio 20 x8 - 32mm offset - I think this might rub a bit.

MODA 210 20 x8.5 - 25mm offset - I think this is perfect.
Old 07-04-07, 02:52 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Most folks just want wheels to look cool but do not know heavier rims decrease hp delivered to the wheel, increase braking distance. It is simple physics, it takes more energy to accelerate and decelerate those mass mounted on 19" moment arm.
Forged rims such as SSR, Iforged, Gram Light are light yet good look. Here is a featured Ferrari with 19" Iforged from one of CL's vendor, very classy look

Old 07-04-07, 03:42 PM
mandyfig

Ok, now with visuals...we can appreciate it. Nice.
Old 07-04-07, 10:35 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

I appreciate the feedback. Tire Rack was the first place I looked. CL Forum vendors came next. This is not the first vehicle I've owned which will see aftermarket wheels.

Weight is a huge consideration. As is sidewall to maintain ride quality. As is price. 19's offer a nice balance of all factors. 20's, in my opinion, are too big for the vehicle. Were that not the case I certainly would've offered up pics of them for feedback...there are a lot of options out there in that size. Forged wheels are outstanding, and are priced accordingly...in this case, out of my ballpark. I'm not looking to stun anyone visually. My hope is to have a classy looking vehicle that looks subtly different than the other 1,000,006 of these things that share the road. While maintaining some semblance of ride quality.

I'm still looking. I'm not in love with either of the rims I originally posted, but there doesn't appear to be a slew of choices out there. Thanks again for your thoughts.
Old 07-05-07, 07:08 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by VroomVroom
I appreciate the feedback. Tire Rack was the first place I looked. CL Forum vendors came next. This is not the first vehicle I've owned which will see aftermarket wheels.

Weight is a huge consideration. As is sidewall to maintain ride quality. As is price. 19's offer a nice balance of all factors. 20's, in my opinion, are too big for the vehicle. Were that not the case I certainly would've offered up pics of them for feedback...there are a lot of options out there in that size. Forged wheels are outstanding, and are priced accordingly...in this case, out of my ballpark. I'm not looking to stun anyone visually. My hope is to have a classy looking vehicle that looks subtly different than the other 1,000,006 of these things that share the road. While maintaining some semblance of ride quality.

I'm still looking. I'm not in love with either of the rims I originally posted, but there doesn't appear to be a slew of choices out there. Thanks again for your thoughts.
Well, when you take the plunge....let me have your OEM set. I will be happy (if you are changing the RX).
Old 07-05-07, 07:16 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

That's another decision...not sure what I'll do with the stockers. In the past I've always sold them, but that limited my options when eventually selling the respective vehicle. I'm also trying to decide what to do with the TPMS sensors - move them from OEM to new wheels, buy new ones for the new wheels, or simply not use them on the new wheels. (I read with interest in the ES350 forum where a fellow installed new wheels without the sensors and didn't get a warning light on the dash.) Since a set is close to $400, it's not an easy choice.
Old 07-05-07, 08:48 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

19" looks good, not too big and it doesnt look like those new nissan with the 20" which looks like a horse wagon.
Old 07-05-07, 09:15 AM
mandyfig

LOL...you mean the Murano's...no you mean the Infinity FX45's...they do look horsewagons....yup!
Old 07-05-07, 11:34 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you drive on cal or especially so cal roads i wouldnt spend a lot, since the roads suck ***** out here.
Old 07-05-07, 11:56 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

What about MRR HR2's, I think they would look awesome on an RX

Quick Reply: Opinions on 19" wheels