RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

where do you get your oil changed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-07, 07:36 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Toyota dealers are equal to Lexus in terms of service. They have the same training. It is all Toyota. All that matters is the skin....and the options and of course the interior, but if you talk about the engines....T-O-Y-O-T-A.
Old 05-01-07, 08:42 PM
salimshah

Received 1,005 Likes on 908 Posts

Don't be surprised if one day Toyota refuses to service your Lexus. It has happened to few Lexus owners (when Lexus dealership is nearby).

Incidentally, I like the attitued where the Lexus owner have no problem saying they drive a TOYOTA.

Salim
Old 05-01-07, 10:23 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heck up until a couple of years ago all the lexus models here were sold as toyotas everywhere else in the world. what drivs me nuts is people who look down at toyota owners jut cuz they drive a lexus and think that its better. if i were to keep my rx past the warranty which i wont i would get the problems fixed at the toyota dealer where its cheaper.
Old 05-02-07, 05:59 AM
mandyfig

Amen to that! Toyota is a Toyota, no matter what skin.
Old 05-02-07, 12:18 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Have never had a problem getting the RX serviced at our local Toyota dealer. Cheaper, and a whole lot closer than our Lexus dealer which is 100 miles away (one way). Of course we don't get espresso's, hand drying of the RX and no chocolates for the wife....
Old 05-02-07, 12:23 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

most "lexus" parts say toyota on them anyways. your dealer must be nice. the lexus dealer i go to doesnt have espresso or chocolates. they just have regular coffee and a waiting area the size of a closet.
Old 05-02-07, 12:29 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AM1
most "lexus" parts say toyota on them anyways. your dealer must be nice. the lexus dealer i go to doesnt have espresso or chocolates. they just have regular coffee and a waiting area the size of a closet.
We've been very pleased with our Lexus dealer. Besides the espresso's (hey we're in the Pacific NW where Latte's are a prerequisite), they offer fresh baked chocolate chip cookies, they hand wash, and dry the car, we usually get a loaner to go shopping at the local Mall (my wife shops, I cringe and bemoan the costs), and when they are all done, they give my wife good chocolates – that’s some great service! Oh, and the waiting area is quite nice with big screen, stocked refrigerator, and comfy chairs. Yup we ‘love’ our Lexus dealer, just wish he were a lot closer.
Old 05-02-07, 01:19 PM
cheap_deal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ holy smokes, you have the best lexus dealer in the world... yes i mean it.

i get my rx350 serviced at the lexus dealer, just 15mins away from home. they do NOT give loaner cars, no food, just water, tea, coffee , sucks to be in the UAE. its bloody hot here now

Last edited by cheap_deal; 05-02-07 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-02-07, 02:22 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Yeah, my Lexus dealer (at least the two in my area that I know of) provide free soda fountain drinks, coffee (basic, latte, espresso), sandwiches during lunch time, donuts/bagels during breakfast time, plenty of televisions, magazines, wireless internet access, computer kiosks to check email or surf (if you don't have a laptop), we are all known as "guests", not "customers", and free bottled water and juices.

One of the dealers has even gone as far as to have custom bottles of free water (with a Lexus logo and their name/phone number). I wonder how much a logo'ed bottle of water will go for on eBay??
Old 05-02-07, 05:36 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 221 Likes on 169 Posts

My Lexus dealer is a lot like RXOwner's, with the exception of the Latte and Espresso. They have a Flavia coffee/tea/hot chocolate machine instead, which actually spits out decent quality brew. But ditto on the other goodies. Bottled water/juice/soda, bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon, toast and fruit in the morning, sandwiches and chips in the afternoon. 5 couches, 2 dozen chairs, 3 TVs, 4 computers, and free wireless internet.

But to answer the original question--my garage. There have been a grand total of 5 oil changes done on cars I own or drive at a dealer or quick lube place in the past 13 years. 3 on my BMW under warranty, the freebie on the RX350, and one on my wife's old Sebring Convertible when I was too busy to do it for a few weeks in a row (she took it in--$78!!!). It's so fast, easy, and cheap to do it at home and know it's done right that I really don't see the point in paying somebody else to do it. ESPECIALLY on a truck or SUV where you don't even need a jack. I haven't done the RX yet, but I used to be able to do my old Dakota in under 10 minutes, including cleanup and storage of the used oil for disposal.
Old 05-02-07, 06:12 PM
mandyfig

All of my oil changes are done in my garage. Since I have an ex-Toyota mechanic friend, he does the check ups. I have a 95 Camry which my daughter drives, running 130k, still kicking and screaming. I do all the oil and tranny drain and fill. Saves a ton of $$ and also you get to know your cars up close. Meorized all the metric sizes for bolts for each of the cars I have, Honda, Acura and Toyota and maybe tomorrow....Lexus....an 04 RX330 23,800 miles....still in the shop for minor touch up on a bumper scratch...man I can not wait.....
Old 05-02-07, 06:30 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know if you can go by the dealer and run your car through their car wash any time you want? I seem to remember a buddy of mine telling me this some time ago when he had an LS400. I've never asked or attempted it myself though...
Old 05-02-07, 09:08 PM
mandyfig

Not if you are not visiting for a reason. Now if you have a SA friend, maybe you can get away with it.
Old 05-02-07, 09:26 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe he did! It was also some time ago. A first or second year LS400... They may have been bending a little further over backward in the early Lexus days to build the brand...

Jim
Old 05-02-07, 11:47 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JimsGX
Does anyone know if you can go by the dealer and run your car through their car wash any time you want? I seem to remember a buddy of mine telling me this some time ago when he had an LS400. I've never asked or attempted it myself though...
i asked the SA the last time i was there and they said no unless you are getting a service. otherwise everyone would be getting free washes.

Quick Reply: where do you get your oil changed?