RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

3-blink lane change signal ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-08, 06:17 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

Those reports are certainly different from my Interstate driving experience in Florida. I was constantly encountering drivers on uncrowded sections of the interstate going 50 or 60 in the left lane, and they would not move into the right lane for anything. I was constantly having to pass on the right. Maybe not a big deal, but that is no way to drive.
Old 07-13-08, 10:33 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

While I don't mind the technology itself, I can't imagine anyone thinking 3 blinks of the blinker is enough to make a proper lane change. The blinker would have stopped blinking before you even complete the lane change. Heck, you turn on your blinker, check to see if there is space to make the lane change, then proceed. By that time the blinker would have stopped before you even started to make a lane change. Now, I'm not old or one of those that take forever to change lanes, but I have been one to always check before I start to change lanes. I hate those morons that start to change lanes before they look or put on their blinkers. I think 5 blinks would be much better.
Old 07-13-08, 04:57 PM
Who_Me
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Self Park

Originally Posted by harleydjce
There is a difference between laziness and eficiency however I will rephrase then:

"This feature brings laziness and stupidity to a new level"

Drivers are actually required to pay attention to what is going on around them and if they can't do that, they shouldn't be driving. This is similar to the self-park feature Lexus has installed for those morons that can't reverse park. The dumbing down of everything only increases the level of idiots on the road.
I have had two major back surgeries and find parallel parking is a real pain when I try to turn to look behind me. My RX 350 doesn't have the self-park feature but the LS 460s I have driven has it. I really liked it a lot. I couldn't use it all the time but it can be useful on those days when my mobility isn't working well. My RX has the backup camera, which I find that I rarely use. The distance perception is so distorted, that I can't use it.

Does anyone else have problems trying to back up at night in their RX? My backup lights just don't illuminate the area behind me very well. It really is a "shot in the dark."
Old 07-13-08, 05:11 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Who_Me
Does anyone else have problems trying to back up at night in their RX? My backup lights just don't illuminate the area behind me very well. It really is a "shot in the dark."
Never really had any trouble in my 04 RX when I owned it. I didn't even have a back up camera. I do use all 3 mirrors to gauge where I am when backing up.
Old 07-14-08, 01:11 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
Those reports are certainly different from my Interstate driving experience in Florida. I was constantly encountering drivers on uncrowded sections of the interstate going 50 or 60 in the left lane, and they would not move into the right lane for anything. I was constantly having to pass on the right. Maybe not a big deal, but that is no way to drive.
Yes, that about sums it up.

Remember growing up in PA and seeing signs on the interstate that would say, "Keep right, pass left." No such thing here in FL.

And careful of those making right hand turns from the left hand lane.

Back to the thread...

You should be signaling before you make the lane change not as you are making the lane change. I agree with CK6Speed, however, even 5 blinks is not sufficient IMHO.
Old 07-14-08, 09:27 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Illinois State Police will issue tickets, although much too infrequently if you ask me, for driving in the left hand lane. As the rules-of-the-road point out, the left hand lane is for passing only. Most drivers seem to have forgotten this rule as the left hand lane seems to be more popular than the right hand (aka cruising) lane.
Old 07-14-08, 03:43 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Gibster
Illinois State Police will issue tickets, although much too infrequently if you ask me, for driving in the left hand lane. As the rules-of-the-road point out, the left hand lane is for passing only. Most drivers seem to have forgotten this rule as the left hand lane seems to be more popular than the right hand (aka cruising) lane.
In a lot of states in traffic it is nearly impossible to keep the left lane for passing only. I think if that rule were enforced in my state it would turn a 20 mile commute in traffic from 90 minutes into 3 hours Doesn't matter in my state anyway. More often than not the middle and right lanes move faster at a lot of points. I guess when you only have a 3 lane Freeway you pick the fastest lane no matter which one it is
Old 07-14-08, 04:08 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by free_the_p
Is there a option (LPS?) to set the lane change signal to shutoff after 3 blinks ? in BMWs' (and MBs) if you lighlt tap the turn signal, it will blink 3 times (3 secs), enough for a lane change. if you press it harder, it will be a permanent turn signal. Does RX 350 have this feature ?
Also, in the BMW, you can turn off the signal by pushing the lever in the same direction, i.e, if you have pressed down for a left turn, you can press down again to turn it off. Pretty nifty feature.
I just got out of my BMW 550 and that was one of the final straws that broke the camel's back is the damned 3 blink feature and the abnormal way of turning off the signal. I think that is the most retarded feature of the BMWs next to the way they set up I-Drive menus.
Old 07-14-08, 05:34 PM
Who_Me
Rookie

Default Right Lane Is a Bad Drive

Originally Posted by Gibster
Although I usually have my cruise control set for 7mph over the posted speed limit on the freeway, I usually stay in the right lane as much as possible. However, the right lane often has ruts from the 18-wheelers, as well as pieces of their blown out tires. Sometimes, it is virtually impossible to drive in the right lane.
Old 07-15-08, 09:47 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Who_Me
Although I usually have my cruise control set for 7mph over the posted speed limit on the freeway, I usually stay in the right lane as much as possible. However, the right lane often has ruts from the 18-wheelers, as well as pieces of their blown out tires. Sometimes, it is virtually impossible to drive in the right lane.
Same here. Whenever I travel to the larger cities not only are the right lanes horrible, but there are always cars merging onto the highway so I either have to slow down or speed up to let them in. That gets annoying so I either stay in the middle lanes or just bite it and go in the left lane and cruise at 85.
Old 07-30-08, 12:42 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

I have experienced too many people with this feature on their cars who use it, then eventually decide to change lanes. This is pure laziness. How hard is to move an indicator stalk? It helps lazy (and dumb) drivers to forget their obligations to other road users. Just because some fools from Germany create this functionality doesn't mean it should be used - just look at I-Drive!

Same with Rain Sensing Wipers. I like these myself but I had an experience with a driver (one of your countrymen actually) who was trying to drive in pouring rain and was actually waiting for the wipers to change speed to match the weather! He was either too lazy or he didn't know how to control the speed manually.

Convenience is one thing. Lowering the bar to suit the lowest common denominator is another. No offence intended to our American members but your cars are a clear example of things being dumbed down to the lowest common denominator!
This feature brings laziness to a new level.

I can't help but think the two of you don't really understand where this feature came from...

I'm sorry, but there is nothing "lazy" about wanting to keep your hands on the steering wheel why plowing down the Autobahn at 155mph, which is what this feature was developed for. Rain sensing wipers (and those Bosch Aero wipers that go along with them) were developed in Germany for use on the Autobahn. Xenon headlamps were developed for use on...you guessed it...the Autobahn.

Automatic paralell parking wasn't designed for the Autobahn, it was designed for the lazy. Lexus doesn't design their cars around the Autobahn quite like the German manufactures do, which is why the 3-blink to turn isn't even available. And about the numer of clicks: All Volkswagens with the multi-function steeringwheel enable you to choose the number of blinks, up to five. The fact that a Golf has this feature tells you it grew up in Germany.