RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Pre-owned 2005 RX330 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-06, 11:58 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pre-owned 2005 RX330 AWD

I'm considering trading-in our 2000 RX300 for a certified pre-owned RX330. The RX330 has about 32K miles with NAV, rear camera, heated front seats, rain sensing wipers, high intensity lights, and AWD. It's in clean condition. No Mark Levinson. Do you have any tips on what I should be looking for on this '05? What's the recommended octane for an '05 and what kind of gas mileage should I expect?

Edmunds shows a certified preowned price of about $37K. Do you think this is reasonable? The dealer's asking about 39K, which I wouldn't pay.

Thanks for your comments.

Last edited by DaveJ; 08-05-06 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-05-06, 04:38 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds overpriced. You can get a brand new RX350 for a few thousands more.
Old 08-05-06, 06:43 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove the RX350 for 4 days as a loaner and it is a WONDERFUL car for what it is (I am not into SUV's and their brethern). It had the Nav and the cool HID's and the door sills that lit up. I even paired my phone to the bluetooth. What did I miss? The ML audio system.

Bottom line. My wife would never forgive me if I spent any more money on a new car to change the stereo. All I would hear is "Why? What for? What a waste! The (stock) stereo was just fine". The Levinson absolutely rocks, swings, soothes, and satisfies. You will not regret the decision unless you do not get it.

BUY THE NEW ONE WITH THE ML AND ALL THE GOODIES YOU WANT. LIFE IS SHORT AND YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU.
Old 08-05-06, 08:19 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that $39K is way too close to the price of a new RX 350, and for that money that's what I'd do. Even for $37K, I'd price new ones first.

But as far as ML is concerned, I don't know that it's worth the extra cost. If you're an audiophile and/or your first mod is to replace the stereo, then you might notice the difference. But otherwise, you may not see the benefit. It doesn't add any features - both the standard stereo and the ML do all of the same things such as ASL, bass/treble controls, etc. The only difference is the amp (more power, and also modified by ML to provide better acoustics) and three additional speakers.

I was very satisfied with the standard stereo on the RX 300, and only got ML on the 330 because that's the only way I could get nav at the time.

You probably want to listen for yourself and compare before making up your mind.
Old 08-05-06, 09:11 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=rxdriver]The only difference is the amp (more power, and also modified by ML to provide better acoustics) and three additional speakers.[QUOTE]

That's not the only difference. Audio DVD's. Far better sound (from both the audiophile and non-audiophile point of view). Resale value. Video DVD's. Engineers spending hours voicing the system in a less than optimal acoustic enviorment. I think your answer is not correct.
Old 08-05-06, 11:07 PM
srashid
Driver

Originally Posted by DaveJ
I'm considering trading-in our 2000 RX300 for a certified pre-owned RX330. The RX330 has about 32K miles with NAV, rear camera, heated front seats, rain sensing wipers, high intensity lights, and AWD. It's in clean condition. No Mark Levinson. Do you have any tips on what I should be looking for on this '05? What's the recommended octane for an '05 and what kind of gas mileage should I expect?

Edmunds shows a certified preowned price of about $37K. Do you think this is reasonable? The dealer's asking about 39K, which I wouldn't pay.

Thanks for your comments.
Dave,

I bought my used 2005 RX330 about 2 months ago, same spec as yours, but 12k miles and only 10 months old when I got it, for about $36k. Mine wasn't CPO though I got it from a Mercedes dealer, but it's covered by the Lexus original warranty for 3 years so that didn't bother me. It's a great car and I've been really pleased with it so far. Also I haven't had any of the transmission problems or rattles mentioned frequently on these forums so maybe they fixed those for the 2005 models.

As for the RX350, I definitely agree it's a better car, and I would say it's worth paying $5k extra for, but more than that I'm not sure.

One problem with RX prices (and probably similar for most cars) is that prices are dependent on the area you're buying in. For example, people seem to be paying about $41k for a new RX350 with NAV in California but dealers in Washington won't go anywhere near that (best I found here is about $45k), and if you buy out-of-state you lose the tax benefit on your trade-in so it doesn't really work.

With regard to the ML sound system, I haven't tried that but I can tell you the stock system is quite good in terms of quality, but doesn't have great power, i.e. you have to turn the volume way up for freeway driving (RX330 is quite noisy when cruising). It's definitely not as good as the Bose system in my 2002 ML320.

Fuel consumption, bit disappointing, I get around 18mpg with mostly town driving, some freeway. I use premium but I think you can use regular from what I've read on these forums.

Overall, great car, but if you can stretch to it the 350 is even better.
Old 08-06-06, 12:39 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=psp][QUOTE=rxdriver]The only difference is the amp (more power, and also modified by ML to provide better acoustics) and three additional speakers.

That's not the only difference. Audio DVD's. Far better sound (from both the audiophile and non-audiophile point of view). Resale value. Video DVD's. Engineers spending hours voicing the system in a less than optimal acoustic enviorment. I think your answer is not correct.
The ML in the RX is not as good a jump in SQ as the ML in the LS/GS/IS. Too me it is worth it in those other Lexus cars, but not the RX. The ML in the RX also doesn't play DVD-A discs, nor DVD vido discs. The only way to get OEM video in the RX is if you buy the RSES (Rear Sear Entertainment System) and you use the rear DVD player.

PS. To the original question. I think that price for a used RX330 is way over priced. While not exact, Premium Plus packages at my dealer are going for $36K brand new. All it ommits is the NAV, AWD/camera, and headted seats from what you are looking at. Adding those options on the brand new car would still come out under $40K. Heck, even the RX400H is being advertised in the paper at my dealership for $41K without NAV. I'd psersonally just spend $42K for a brand new RX350.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 08-06-06 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-06-06, 07:30 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Thanks for the comments. I'm not looking for the ML option.

I've priced out (MSRP) a new RX350 FWD with the Premium Plus package at $44,283. I would think I could get at least 5% off, so I should be able to purchase the car for about $42K. And with the AWD it lists for $45683, so maybe the discounted price would be about $43,400. If I were purchasing a new RX, I would likely go with FWD rather than AWD.

Based on these new car price assumptions, I would think paying in the $35-$36K range for the 2005 CPO RX330 AWD Premium Plus, with it's higher than average mileage (32K) would be a fair price. Of course they've price the car much higher at $39,990.

I'm probably going to the dealer tomorrow and have him layout all the choices for the CPO car as well as a 2007 RX350. Maybe they could come up with a new 2006 RX330?
Old 08-06-06, 07:40 AM
Todd
Pole Position

Default Keep shopping

I ran into the same thing last December when I purchased a new 06 330. I started out shopping for a low mileage CPO but quickly learned they were priced VERY close to and in some cases more than what I could buy a brand new one for. I purchased a new AWD loaded except for ML and Nav for 37490 as I recall. It was invoice plus destination charges out the door.

You should be able to buy an 07 350 for that price almost. DON"T let the stealer make a chump out of you. If you don't have a burr under your saddle to buy now wait until the end of a quarter (end of September) and find a dealer in a large city preferably who has a quota or sales goal to hit. You can and will buy one for invoice if you stick to your guns. I also found it helpful to deal via email to eliminate and lot of direct garbage talk from the salesman. Use the internet to find a dealer who is motivated to sell and then tell him you'll pay dealer invoice plus destnation and that that is the out the door price. No paperwork charges, prep or other add ons that amount to pure profit.

And don't let the treat of no loaner unless you buy here scare you like it did a friend of mine. Lexus policy is service Lexus vehicles in the same manner regardless of where it was purchased and this includes a loaner.
Old 08-06-06, 09:35 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

If that car is a little pricy, look at an '04.

As far as the car goes, it's the same thing. I got an '04330 a few months ago, with 40K miles on it, and it's like brand new. I like it much more than I thought I would, and everybody thinks I got a new car until I tell them it's three years old.

And it's still under factory warranty.

Of course, if you go back to '03, then you have to get an RX300, which is quite a different car, inside and out. So your lowest prices on the 330 will be for the '04 models, many of which are around with very low miles.
Old 08-06-06, 11:35 PM
unrealii
Driver

I'm sure you can get an 07 rx350 w/ same options for under 40 + ttl. Email a few dealers and get their internet price. Otherwise, offer the dealer $6k the less on that 05.
Old 08-08-06, 05:42 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Yesterday I bought the '05 CPO RX330 AWD. After a very lengthy negotiation, I ended up paying between $35K-36K, depending on how you shuffle the money from the '00 RX300 trade. Thanks for tips on pricing. I would not have thought I could get the dealer to come down that much from their $39,900 asking price.

The car's actually for my wife, and she's very happy with it. Yes it has some scratches, but other than the car's in nice shape. And I didn't take the depreciation hit. The car has AWD, NAV, backup camera, adaptive HID headlights, heated seats, rains sensing wipers, headlight washers, power moon roof, towing package, etc. The color is neptune blue, which I know is not popular color, but it's the only color both my wife and I wanted. Also, it's nice because I don't see many neptune blue RX's around.

Here's the picture from the delivery area at the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails Pre-owned 2005 RX330 AWD-lexus-rx330-002-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by DaveJ; 08-08-06 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-08-06, 05:53 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congratulations. Looks like you negotiated a good price. Your car looks similar to ours. WE too habe a Neptune Blue with the light grey interior.
Old 08-08-06, 06:04 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations on your new purchase.. I know you'll find it enjoyable when you're allowed to drive it ! Did you get all the keys with it?

I suggest you review the owners manual supplement for maintenance requirements and the blank log pages. I use these blanks to log all services performed, with date and mileage.

Seriously review the towing or severe usage, and adapt them to your requirements.
Old 08-08-06, 06:28 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tammy
Congratulations on your new purchase.. I know you'll find it enjoyable when you're allowed to drive it ! Did you get all the keys with it?
Thanks Tammy. I received 3 keys (1 is valet). No flat key. I'm probably not going to press the dealer for it since I've never used one or even had the need for it.

Quick Reply: Pre-owned 2005 RX330 AWD