RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexus Halts Sirius Radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-06, 12:49 PM
Frankr66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my other car has Sirius AND XM with NAVTRAFFIC and IMO XM is WAY better then Sirius, especially the SQ
Old 07-26-06, 02:14 PM
jamesfabin
Driver

How well does it work? Have you noticed any problems with it?
Old 07-26-06, 04:52 PM
bulwinkl24
Rookie

Default HA! another reason to buy BMW

im glad im not the only one having a problem finding sirius. i too bought my car under the impression that sirius would be available. i figured since lexus had such an outstanding reputation for customer service, i could trust that sirius would in fact be available sometime soon so i went ahead an bought an IS. boy was i wrong. i shouldve went with BMW in the first place. even though theyre not as reliable, at least the customer service in top notch unlike lexus.
Old 07-26-06, 07:47 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default Lexus Service

Don't know about your dealer but ours out here in Wi. couldn't be better. Have ALWAYS been treated with the highest of respect & service.

Just what is wrong with your dealer? Because Sirius isn't available does not sound like a dealer issue anyways more of a Lexus issue.
Old 07-26-06, 08:04 PM
jerrsRX350
Rookie

Default I'm Supposed to Get Sirius Installed Tomorrow !

I have an appointment to have Sirius installed tomorrow. Nobody has called to tell me it's not available???
Old 07-27-06, 05:06 AM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by Frankr66
my other car has Sirius AND XM with NAVTRAFFIC and IMO XM is WAY better then Sirius, especially the SQ
I don't think the discussion here is Sirius vs. XM (tons of other threads about THAT subject), but rather that Lexus was VERY specific with many of us shopping for the RX350 that both would be available as options for the Sat-Ready Gen V nav system. The fact that they have balked at making Sirius available, thus backtracking from what was for many a decision factor in picking the car/SUV we bought is why this is a problem.

FWIW...

--Scott
Old 07-27-06, 05:09 AM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by richbutler
i have the 2007 es350 and have sirius that is fully integrated into gen V nav installed as part of their stardard package.
Now THIS becomes the interesting question - If Sirius works on Gen V nav in an ES model...why in the world is it a problem for the RX350? I wonder if its the radio assembly rather than the Nav system.....perhaps they are different between the ES and RX models?

In any case...this is worth exploring. Because if the wiring harnesses are in any way compatible between the ES and RX...I would be more than willing to try that in the RX...but I guess the question I have for my dealer is whether even getting Sirius for the ES today is an option....

All very strange...

--Scott

UPDATE: I just looked at the "parts and accessories" section for the ES on lexus.com...option for Sirius is no longer offered - or for any other current Lexus model.....

Last edited by spikerjack; 07-27-06 at 05:14 AM.
Old 07-27-06, 06:18 AM
born2run
Driver School Candidate

This doesn't sound like a technical issue at all, maybe Lexus has "struck a deal" with XM to offer their service exclusively on Lexus vehicles.

Personally, I'm not going near satellite radio until the industry gets everything straightened out, hopefully XM and Sirius will merge eventually. Right now it's like the old beta vs. VHS wars. There should be a satellite radio "standard", and then you can subscribe to whatever service you wish (or even both!).

Just my $.02

Gary
Old 07-27-06, 08:24 AM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by born2run
This doesn't sound like a technical issue at all, maybe Lexus has "struck a deal" with XM to offer their service exclusively on Lexus vehicles.

Personally, I'm not going near satellite radio until the industry gets everything straightened out, hopefully XM and Sirius will merge eventually. Right now it's like the old beta vs. VHS wars. There should be a satellite radio "standard", and then you can subscribe to whatever service you wish (or even both!).

Just my $.02

Gary
I actually heard the "XM cuts deal with Lexus" rumor/idea from (2) well-placed sources in the last week but was hesitant to comment on it publicly....but the more I think about it the more it makes sense.

If the problem is NOT technical....then a 3rd party solution given the "SAT ready" nature of the radio in the RX350 should be quickly forthcoming.

At least I hope,

--Scott
Old 07-27-06, 11:29 AM
jamesfabin
Driver

From what Lexus is telling me (Dealers & the National HQ), it's a technical issue. I'm still working with the dealer & HQ, and in daily contact looking for an alternative for my vehicle. I hope to have determined what solution is available and present that to Lexus HQ on Monday for their response.

There has been no mention that Lexus has struck any type of deal with XM, though they have said they can install XM without any issues. In my search these last few days for a solution to get Sirius installed (and integrated) into my RX350 I have seen those rumors in a number of places. If something was to come out that the rumors are true, I would request a buy-back from Lexus for my under 30-day old 2007 RX350 AWD which has Sirius listed on the sales/lease agreement. But I do not feel Lexus has done any deal with XM, based on all my conversations there is a technical issue and they want to resolve that for Lexus owners.

James
Old 07-27-06, 11:53 AM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by jamesfabin
From what Lexus is telling me (Dealers & the National HQ), it's a technical issue. I'm still working with the dealer & HQ, and in daily contact looking for an alternative for my vehicle. I hope to have determined what solution is available and present that to Lexus HQ on Monday for their response.

There has been no mention that Lexus has struck any type of deal with XM, though they have said they can install XM without any issues. In my search these last few days for a solution to get Sirius installed (and integrated) into my RX350 I have seen those rumors in a number of places. If something was to come out that the rumors are true, I would request a buy-back from Lexus for my under 30-day old 2007 RX350 AWD which has Sirius listed on the sales/lease agreement. But I do not feel Lexus has done any deal with XM, based on all my conversations there is a technical issue and they want to resolve that for Lexus owners.

James
James,

I think the current question to ask Lexus is why was Sirius sold for the 2007 ES350 on Gen V nav (as posted by richbutler) and what was different about that from the RX350's configuration? And if it was sold and installed on the ES350...why is it no longer available for sale if it worked?

BTW...my dealer gave me a really political, non-responsive answer to the Sirius availability question. You have provided the best information to date.....
Old 07-27-06, 03:38 PM
bulwinkl24
Rookie

Originally Posted by xfirechief
Don't know about your dealer but ours out here in Wi. couldn't be better. Have ALWAYS been treated with the highest of respect & service.

Just what is wrong with your dealer? Because Sirius isn't available does not sound like a dealer issue anyways more of a Lexus issue.
its not just about sirius. ive had other occassions when i needed parts or service and the treatment ive gotten was subpar at best. i dont even want to go into details because every time i think about it, my blood boils and i regret ever buying a lexus in the first place. at this point, i think i should just focus on enjoying the car. i guess i just felt the need to steer the guy away from the lexus if sirius was that important to him.
Old 07-27-06, 06:33 PM
katzjamr
Driver

Default lexus xm 'deal'

Originally Posted by spikerjack
I actually heard the "XM cuts deal with Lexus" rumor/idea from (2) well-placed sources in the last week but was hesitant to comment on it publicly....but the more I think about it the more it makes sense.

If the problem is NOT technical....then a 3rd party solution given the "SAT ready" nature of the radio in the RX350 should be quickly forthcoming.

At least I hope,

--Scott
Perhaps the 'deal' confusion came about because two CA dealerships owned by the Penske group who do have XM affiliation offered free xm on every new car they sold with 9 months service thrown in. I do not know if this offer is still available.
Old 07-27-06, 08:08 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by katzjamr
Perhaps the 'deal' confusion came about because two CA dealerships owned by the Penske group who do have XM affiliation offered free xm on every new car they sold with 9 months service thrown in. I do not know if this offer is still available.
Penske gave out Sirius, not XM. I have been waiting since Thanksgiving. I wish Longo/Penske gave XM because I am a huge baseball fan. Bottom line, Sirius still not available for probably 3 more months, or maybe discontinued for Lexus.
Old 07-28-06, 06:51 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

For those you take a long trip south of the border, both Sirius and XM work very well, even down here in Mexico City. I know some of you like to take trips down to Baja California...no problems with reception there.

Quick Reply: Lexus Halts Sirius Radio