RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Welcome to Club Lexus! RX330/350 roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-18, 09:38 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by tran1
Just bought my wife 2009 RX350 with 185K miles.
Nice car.
Have to replace Rack and pinion.
Dropped trans pan, replace trans filter and fluid.
Do I have to replace timing chain?
Welcome to Club Lexus.

To answer your question about replacing the timing chain, the answer is no. Almost everyone that buys a 2nd generation RX reads what seems to be conflicting information on this. What the deal is, is that Toyota/Lexus used 2 different engines in the 2nd generation RX. The cars up to 2006 were model RX330. This was a 3.3 liter engine that used a fiberglass belt to run the camshafts and these engines need to have that belt replaced every 100K miles. Starting with the 2007 model, the cars were called RX350 and these engines are 3.5 liters. There were various design changes made and the 3.5 liter engine used a chain to run the camshafts.The chains do not stretch like the belts did, so no replacement is needed.
Old 06-03-18, 10:03 AM
dpalinsk
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, my name is David and we own a 2009 RX 350, pearl white, grey leather interior with the dark charcoal wood accents. We bought it brand new and until recently it was being serviced by the local Lexus dealership. With the average cost of service costing more than $300, I decided to start performing the basic services my self along with some minor repairs. So far, I’ve saved my wife over about $1000! Joining Club Lexus because I have found lots of answers to my “how to” questions on this forum.
Old 06-03-18, 12:21 PM
spinellib
Intermediate

Received 175 Likes on 136 Posts

That's a nice color combo. I like the dark wood. Birdseye Maple, do they call it?
Old 06-03-18, 12:48 PM
dpalinsk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spinellib
That's a nice color combo. I like the dark wood. Birdseye Maple, do they call it?
We liked it too, but I don’t recall the color name of the dark wood and I couldn’t find the window sticker.
Old 06-04-18, 12:55 AM
SFAnnie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not a great idea

QUOTE=dpalinsk;10214954]
Hi, my name is David and we own a 2009 RX 350, pearl white, grey leather interior with the dark charcoal wood accents. We bought it brand new and until recently it was being serviced by the local Lexus dealership. With the average cost of service costing more than $300, I decided to start performing the basic services my self along with some minor repairs. So far, I’ve saved my wife over about $1000! Joining Club Lexus because I have found lots of answers to my “how to” questions.

Even if you’re capable of performing repairs on your vehicle, I think it’s better to take it to the dealer. All repairs are warranted, and reliable technicians perform the work. Plus your record stays within all Lexus dealers, so if you need repairs while out of town, they can look up your history. My service calls only cost about $120 apiece, unless it’s a major one like 60,000 miles.
Old 06-04-18, 04:52 AM
dpalinsk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SFAnnie
QUOTE=dpalinsk;10214954]
Hi, my name is David and we own a 2009 RX 350, pearl white, grey leather interior with the dark charcoal wood accents. We bought it brand new and until recently it was being serviced by the local Lexus dealership. With the average cost of service costing more than $300, I decided to start performing the basic services my self along with some minor repairs. So far, I’ve saved my wife over about $1000! Joining Club Lexus because I have found lots of answers to my “how to” questions.

Even if you’re capable of performing repairs on your vehicle, I think it’s better to take it to the dealer. All repairs are warranted, and reliable technicians perform the work. Plus your record stays within all Lexus dealers, so if you need repairs while out of town, they can look up your history. My service calls only cost about $120 apiece, unless it’s a major one like 60,000 miles.
If the average service charge was only $120 here in Bakersfield, we would still be taking it in to Lexus for service. However, it’s closer to $300 so I’m saving almost $200 and I have the skills, experience and tools to complete this type of work. As for the warranty on the service, that isn’t really applicable. I did replace the lift gate struts using aftermarket struts for about $60. Lexus wanted $700 which is ridiculous. Even if they fail once a year, I’ll still be ahead for ten years.

For something like changing the spark plugs, I will have someone else do the work as that goes beyond my capabilities and comfort zone.

Last edited by dpalinsk; 06-04-18 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-09-18, 03:51 AM
AsifWirasa
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 Lexus RX 350

Anyone knows a place in Charlotte NC or Atlanta GA where I can get a BT unit installed for music. The car already has a BT tele-connection. What is the approximate cost.
Old 06-10-18, 01:08 AM
Necrius
Driver School Candidate

Default 07rx350

Hello All,

Just got an '07 RX350 AWD w/Navi, 6 cd, towing package.......well, it has everything except the ML audio, rear dvd and performance package. Breakwater Blue Metallic & Grey interior. Huge change for me, traded in a 99 Ford Ranger. Doing research on the vehicle prior to purchase, this forum was always in the results so I decided to join now that I own it. Looking forward to learning more about this vehicle and I promise not to ask too many stupid questions - lots of reading material in the owners manual pack LOL.

Peace
Mark

Old 06-26-18, 07:28 PM
caftam
Driver School Candidate

Default new acquisition ?

We just purchased a 2007 RX 350 - how do we determine if it is an AWD ??
Old 06-26-18, 07:55 PM
tomr51
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts

look for a rear diff
Old 08-29-18, 02:20 PM
Suxel831
Driver School Candidate

Default Hi all

Long time lurker First time posting here. Here's my 07 350 AWD with 180k and still going strong
Old 08-31-18, 05:13 PM
Solracer
Driver School Candidate

Default 2005 rx330

Hi all just purchased a 2005 RX330 with 34500 Miles on it, all work maintence was done by the lexus dealer. they even changed the timing belt/water pump at 10 years when the car had 26000+ miles on it. It is in great shape for a 2005 car.

It is Savannah Metallic , it is our second lexus as we bought a 2015 IS250c in February.
Old 09-14-18, 12:25 PM
AZRX350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to ClubLexus

Hi All,
Doesn’t seem to be a lot of action here anymore but I figured I’d join the party anyway because I'm a car forum junkie and I’ve already found tons of 2nd Gen Rx tips and tricks by doing a little searching. I’m happy to be here and hope to somehow contribute something that may not have already been covered (doubtful?).

Here’s our story. A couple of months ago my wife mentioned it may be time to replace the, as she put it, “tired” ’02 Isuzu Trooper we bought in Nov ’02 with 18k miles. The Trooper has been our road tripping, pop-up towing, go-to travel machine, and my wife’s daily driver since we bought it. It’s been a phenomenal vehicle that has treated us well but, with 227k on the clock it’s time for her to be semi-retired. Tons of wonderful family memories are tied to the old girl, and, although it was sad to see her go, we were able to bless another family we know that was in dire need of a second vehicle, so we handed her off to them.

We had narrowed our replacement search to either a late model Rav4 (xle or limited) or CRV. To be honest, I really wanted something a little more quiet and comfy (Avalon?) but, seeing how this is going to be the Mrs. daily driver, and realizing her “needs” vs my “wants”, I caved and went looking for a small, late model, SUV/Crossover that would fit our low $20’s budget.

After scouring CL, CarGuru, Carvana, etc. for a month+, and looking at what seemed to be a bazillion vehicles, I stumbled across a creampuff ’08 Rx 350 that popped up on CL on Saturday morning on Labor Day weekend. Got lucky and happened to be the first to contact the guy and bee-lined over to his house to check it out.

She’s a bought in our town, original owner, ’08 with a tick over a 100k on the clock. All service done on time with all the receipts tucked neatly into a folder. New brakes all the way around, new struts all the way around and Michelin’s with 10k on them.

I hadn’t really thought about, or looked at, any Lexus vehicles. Not really sure why but, being a Toyota fan, I’m glad I did. It definitely fills my “want” for something quiet and comfy and fills the Mrs. “need” for something versatile for her “on the go” lifestyle. Quite a few more miles than we had been looking for but, with the history and condition of the car, plus saving about $15k off what we were expecting to write a check for, we were ALL in.

Anyhow, here’s the better-half’s new (to us anyway) Rx.

Specs from the Lexus Drivers website.

First mod was adding Bluetooth streaming audio via a USA SPEC BT45-TOY Bluetooth module. SUPER nice way to add BT streaming as it is invisible and also integrates the steering wheel controls. Plug and play, super easy install. I added the recommended AUX/USB (charging only) accessory. Bought it all on Amazon. We use the stock Lexus BT for phone caling/recieving functions, which seems to work out great. Can't see the actual BT module but here's a pic of the USB charger and AUX input. Next planned mods, if needed as I haven't had a chance to look yet, are to change the oil cooler hose assembly to the "pipe" style, and the VVT hose to a metal line.

The old Trooper

My Daily Driver (replaced a ‘00 Tacoma, which replaced a ’05 Scion Xb, which replaced a ’91 Miata)
The following users liked this post:
xjokerz (08-08-21)
Old 10-03-18, 01:27 AM
harby515
Driver School Candidate

Hi, wow its my first post. i got a 2004 RX 330 ,white color with 202000 klms
Old 10-03-18, 11:20 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyO78
My first hybrid! And wow does it make a lot of unusual noises! I've been lurking around this forum since I had my 00 GS300, so I've been low-key into Lexus for a bit. I'm super happy in this SUV crossover getting 25mpg. A vast improvement over my 00 Ford Expedition. It's got some dings and scratches, some nearly serious damage to one door, a scratchy sound system and a failing lift gate motor, but my credit sux and the dealer financed me! I'm also looking at getting a 93 and 94 LS400 (one for parts); debating on "family beater" or "classic luxury."
Is the sound system on everything that plays like the CDs and the radio or just the radio itself? The radio antenna has an amplifier built into the antenna base that could cause radio problems.

The rear hatch may be that the gas struts that support it are failing/have failed. Those struts give a spring assist to the hatch opening and if they are bad, the motor is not strong enough to open the hatch by itself.

If you want to ask more questions, post in the regular section, not here. You will get more answers there.

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! RX330/350 roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE