RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Welcome to Club Lexus! RX330/350 roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-22, 05:23 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by PrinceDTX
Hello there!

proud new owner of a 2007 RX 350. My wife and I picked it up on a good deal due to some (hopefully) minor work it needs. Has check engine code P0017 and has VSC and TRAC OFF lights on the dash. We also own a 2010 Toyota Sienna with the same VAC and TRAC OFF lights on the dash and I am starting to research them.

I’ll be searching the forums for guidance on the P0017 code as well as the VSC and TRAC OFF lights, but if there are any other heads up items y’all can guide me towards, I would greatly appreciate it!

2007 Lexus RX 350
190k miles
P0017 is one of several codes indication a sync/timing error with the camshaft and the crankshaft. Specifically P0017 is for the bank 1 camshaft sensor B.

Bank 1 is in front of the firewall and has cylinders 1, 3 and 5. Camshaft sensor A is for the intake cam and camshaft sensor B is for the exhaust cam (I might have this bass ackwards). Toyota/Lexus doesn't call them sensors, they are called Camshaft Timing Oil Control Valve that controls the camshaft advance/retard using engine oil pressure as well as sensing how much the camshaft timing has changed.

Possible causes:
– Dirty Oil
– Variable Valve Timing (VVT) sensor circuit is open or shorted
– Variable Valve Timing (VVT) sensor poor electrical connection
– Faulty Variable Valve Timing (VVT) sensor
– Damaged ECM

The most common one is the sensor itself. You can try taking the valve off and cleaning it and checking that the coil isn't open or shorted.

As for the VSC and TRAC Off lights, they will come on with almost every check engine code. Toyota turns these functions off as a safety feature and lights the lights. I don't know why and I can't find a good logical answer. To me it's kind of like saying "If the engine will not start, be careful making lane changes at speeds over 150 mph.
The following users liked this post:
SJM (01-16-23)
Old 09-25-22, 07:07 PM
PrinceDTX
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by DennisMik
P0017 is one of several codes indication a sync/timing error with the camshaft and the crankshaft. Specifically P0017 is for the bank 1 camshaft sensor B.

Bank 1 is in front of the firewall and has cylinders 1, 3 and 5. Camshaft sensor A is for the intake cam and camshaft sensor B is for the exhaust cam (I might have this bass ackwards). Toyota/Lexus doesn't call them sensors, they are called Camshaft Timing Oil Control Valve that controls the camshaft advance/retard using engine oil pressure as well as sensing how much the camshaft timing has changed.

Possible causes:
– Dirty Oil
– Variable Valve Timing (VVT) sensor circuit is open or shorted
– Variable Valve Timing (VVT) sensor poor electrical connection
– Faulty Variable Valve Timing (VVT) sensor
– Damaged ECM

The most common one is the sensor itself. You can try taking the valve off and cleaning it and checking that the coil isn't open or shorted.

As for the VSC and TRAC Off lights, they will come on with almost every check engine code. Toyota turns these functions off as a safety feature and lights the lights. I don't know why and I can't find a good logical answer. To me it's kind of like saying "If the engine will not start, be careful making lane changes at speeds over 150 mph.

Thank you so much for this information. I have been having some luck finding help on the P0017 check engine code but this is great having all the info in one spot. I hadn't found the VSC info yet and that is interesting. Hopefully once I solve the check engine code I will have solved them as well. It's odd though, as on the Sienna my wife and I have, they are the only trouble lights on the dash, no check engine codes or anything else. Periodically the TPMS goes off, I wonder if that could affect things on that minivan. I carry pencil gauges in all my vehicles for quickly measuring tire pressure, and it always seems to be fine. Planning on swapping out all the TPMS sensors on that one next time we do new tires. Anyhow, cheers!
Old 09-25-22, 09:03 PM
PrinceDTX
4th Gear

By the way, I was able to get on the drivers Lexus website and set up an account. This vehicle was serviced from new at the same dealership and it has notes on the P0017 problem.

"~|~CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON PLEASE CHECK AND ADVISE PICK UP YESTERDAY NIGHT AND DROVE IT THIS MORNING FOR A BOUT 15 MINUTES AND CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON ~|~FOUND CODE P0017 TO RETURN AFTER REPLACING OIL CONTROL VALVE FOR BANK 1 (INTAKE VALVE). ~|~REPLACED OIL CONTROL VALVE FOR EXHAUST SIDE BANK 1 BASED ON L-SB-0033-11. FOUND CODE TO RETURN AFTER REPLACEMENT. CALLED TAS AND CREATED CASE # 221800359. TAS ADVISED TO INSPECT CAM GEARS AND REFER TO REPAIR MANUAL FOR INSPECTION. REPAIR MANUAL INSTRUCTS"

Other prior notes indicate this cropped up in April and again June of this year and they already replaced the oil control valves. Next step I need to check what you gave me Dennis. Thanks again!
Old 10-19-22, 02:32 PM
EDBTZ2much
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool '05 going on 230K Miles and trying to go more

New to this and hope to keep this car longer. We're actually the second owners, but purchased it in 2005 with less than 5K miles on it.

Previous owner said he didn't want to pay for Premium gas at the pump when the prices jumped to $2/gal in 2005. . . .ohhh my sweet sweet child! anyways!
Old 10-25-22, 09:42 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just got an 07 RX350, 183,000km
The following users liked this post:
Markeddief (10-26-22)
Old 10-31-22, 05:46 AM
mkitchen
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2008 i owner RX350

Good morning all,
I just wanted to introduce myself and my new RX350 to you all. It is a 2008 model in Brandy Wine Mica. It has 105,300 miles on it and is a 1 owner dealer serviced cream puff.It spent it's whole life traveling between Beverly Hills, CA and Cambridge, MA. Never seen winter or salt (no rust at all)and is a 9.0 out of 10 vehicle.It will be Wool Waxed Nov. 11th and so will be protected for winter. The only problems are TPMS sensors need to be replaced, the cruise is non operational, coolant flush and it's due for an oil change on time not mileage.It was flawless driving it up from Mass to Maine.I am new to Lexus vehicle but am confident that you guys here will be able to help with any questions.I have a 2 post lift in my shop and plan on doing all necessary maintenance and repairs myself.I have the highly recommended XTOOLS D7 scanner on the way and have gathered up the tools to do the oil change, trans fluid flush and a coolant flush so far.
Take care,
Mark

Old 11-06-22, 06:41 PM
Idahokid
4th Gear

Default New from North Idaho

I inherited my Dad’s 2008 RX350.Nice little car.I’ll post pictures when I get a chance.It’s Bamboo pearl awd.

Last edited by Idahokid; 11-06-22 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-27-22, 05:29 PM
Drezzybo
5th Gear

Default new rx350 owner

hey i just got a rx350 2009 with 182k miles and i have a issue of the car keep dying any recommendations? i already tried replacing the battery
Old 11-27-22, 06:56 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Originally Posted by Drezzybo
hey i just got a rx350 2009 with 182k miles and i have a issue of the car keep dying any recommendations? i already tried replacing the battery
The battery would not cause this unless the alternator was not keeping the battery charged.

What is the engine idle rpm when you have the car in drive and are stopped? It should be 700 - 750 rpm.

Do you know when the spark plugs were Replaced? It should have been around 100K to 120K miles.

Other possibilities - a very plugged air filter, a dirty throttle body, a leaking/cracked air hose between the throttle body and the MAF, vacuum leaks.
Old 01-01-23, 10:06 AM
freenuke
4th Gear

Default New forum member

We have a 2009 Rx350, acquired in 2013. It has a light blue exterior, tan interior, moon roof, heated seats, navigation, and power everything, It currently 248,500 miles. We love the comfort and nimble handling.
Prior to Lexus, we mainly drove Volvo station wagons.

I prefer to work on my own vehicles if time allows. I miss the days when one could climb in the engine compartment and replace a component without disassembling 20 others.

Last edited by freenuke; 01-01-23 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-02-23, 07:55 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Welcome to Club Lexus. There is a lot of info here if you have questions. Just came across a how to change the spark plugs video, so I want to spread the word.

While I'm at it here is a thread on Club Lexus for changing spark plugs -
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ug-change.html
In step 4 the author references 13mm bolts. Everyone else says they have 12mm bolts. I did too.
Old 02-07-23, 04:56 AM
TucsonLJW
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2006 rx

Hello! I have a 2006 RX330, purchased in 2009 and loved ever since! It is Millennium Silver with Light Grey interior and I have done a lot of modifications over the years. From an exterior pov, mostly aesthetic, blacked out wheels, spring kit, painted the roof black and removed most badging. The interior appears mostly stock, but isn't. I have had the whole car insulated with MesaMatt, have a audio system in the former tools compartment under the rear deck, and added a head unit where the old stereo was using the Beat-Sonic RX-82. Lots of other odds and ends, but I am really looking for ways to upgrade the stock interface. I have the Gen4 Navigation System and want to upgrade to the Gen5 or another solution that looks and feels as much like OEM as possible. Some pics! First one is a little old, but a good shot, the second in newer, it has one blacked out wheel cap and one Lexani (I went all black).

Old 02-12-23, 02:50 PM
STonyG
2nd gear

Thanks for the add.
We bought a 2007 RX350 4 years ago for $6,000. My wife doesn't drive many miles per year, maybe 15k. It had 175k on the clock.
Aside from the normal maintenance, it has been pretty dependable.
Old 03-29-23, 08:29 AM
GotHeem
Rookie

Default 2008 rx350

Over the weekend, I bought my 2008 RX350 remotely through Shift… it will be shipped here next week. So excited, only 74400 miles, flint mica exterior color. Can’t wait. I’m a bit concerned I didn’t get the extended warranty on it being a 15 year old car. Hopefully I won’t regret it.

I’ve always liked the design of gen 2. Just in the midst of researching how to upgrade the DRL from halogen to LED. So far, I’m reading it’s not that clear-cut to replace them. If anyone has any info on it, I’d appreciate your feedback.

Anyway, here are some pics Shift sent as they prepped it for delivery.

Old 03-30-23, 02:31 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

joined the second gen family last night!!! i already have a 1G GX470 and a 3G RX350 but my friend's parents were getting rid of their car...

2008 Crystal White 350 with only 56k miles!!! i'll try to update it a bit with a Grom unit and clean it up for daily duty...

i'll get pics tomorrow!!!

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! RX330/350 roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE