RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX350 Questions / Speculation (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-06, 08:49 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyoLexus
More interested in any:

Cosmetic Changes

Generation 5 Nav?

Change in stereo - i.e. sat availability or iPod hookups?

Push button start?

Jay, Lexus has nearly lost my Dad's business over the RX. He was ready to buy a new 2005 last summer but a dealer in Richmond called headquarters for him to find out if the 2006 (only a few months away, at the time) would have XM built-in.... they said it would be, so he waited until September for it to come out. Then they told him it wouldnt be until January, as XM radio would be late availability, so Dad waited a few more months since they said it would "definitely be available in Jan". December comes and they tell him it wont be until "early March" and will be a new model, the RX350. Long story short, sat. radio in early March, but by now we dont trust anything they've been promising.

Sorry if you're discouraged, but anyway XM is at least in the planning stage.
Yup, that would seem about right. As I mentioned, we were very close to getting the 400h - I can't really drive the 330 on longer trips - not enough power for me on highway merges and passing. Otherwise I love the car! It is primarily my wife's daily commuter but I really was hoping that some of the new technology would be there. I bought an Infiniti M35x and so far love it! The technology has really spoiled me. The nav is phenomenal (albeit still crippled when driving unless you hack it) and I got a tech pkg which included RCA inputs for my iPod, Sirius and a ton of other goodies. Just curious about the tech stuff on the new RX350 more than anything.

The only 3 things that we really want should be available: more power, nav (hopefully 5 gen) and backup camera.

Thanks again for the input!

Jay
Old 01-29-06, 09:06 AM
LexFather

The ES 350 has been confirmed to have 275hp, so I am 100% certain, so will the RX 350.
We cannot say the tech in the new ES will be in the RX, since the ES is a ground up redesign and the RX is a freshning.

There are members who have said the RX 350 has ads in the new car mags, not sure if we can confirm cosmetic changes.
Old 02-01-06, 01:24 PM
becks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rx 350

Hi All,

First I would guess that this is one of the final iderations of the current body style.

we all know the power plant is being boosted. Other than that I suspect any additional changes will be baubles and bolt ons. They need to maximize their return on the tooling, which was required to produce this current body style.

I suspect that a completely new body style is probably 1 - 2 model years away.

The RX is already stuffed with pretty much all the electronic gadgetry one needs.

Becks
Old 02-01-06, 01:42 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The print ad. in this month's car and driver has one small shot of the front 3/4. I can't see any differences. It mentions that the new 35o will have 270hp (with a typical lawyerese footnote stating that's only achieved on 91+octane gas and using lower octane will result in lower power). Nothing else.
Old 02-03-06, 06:03 AM
jberrong
Driver School Candidate

Guess I'm not the only one waiting for this car to debut. Keep us informed this is a great forum.
Old 02-03-06, 07:30 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

The RX350 is already on sale in japan as the harrier it has the 3.5 but same transmission i didnt see any changes in the styling maybe led tailights but it basically was the same exact vehicle.
Old 02-03-06, 01:37 PM
CarsFreak
Driver School Candidate

Found the ad in my issue

However, next to the 270hp is an asterisk and at the bottom of the ad says

"Rating achieved using the required premium-unleaded gasoline with octane rating of 91 or higher. If premium fuel is not used, performance will decrease. 2005 Lexus"
Old 02-03-06, 01:55 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lil4X
My RX 330 was one of the earliest models (May '03), and has experienced no real problems, although I had the transmission re-flashed to a new shift algorithm, as the original was a little rough shifting. I've experienced a power rear door failure (twice in three years), but cannot duplicate it, and now my HID headlights have started to leak. I don't believe I've had any real problems with either car - nothing that wasn't handled quickly under warranty by my dealer.

Are there disadvantages to being an "early adopter"? Despite the conventional wisdom that "you don't want to own serial number "1" of anything", the only downside I've seen is option packaging. Lexus has a habit of forcing certain options on you, and bundling certain packages.

Our 04 RX330 with a March 03 build date also had many of the same problems you have. I also got the recall for the exhaust system and had the hatch ECU replaced for the intermitent power hatch failure. My headlights now have condensation as well. I don't have too many rattles, but I do have them. I will agree that the bigest down side for 1st model year is the lack of options. That and the price. I probably will never buy a first model year again. I did that once before and said never again, but I bought the 04 RX330 anyway since it was a Lexus after all. However, 1st model issues apply to Lexus just like the rest of them. If I just wainted for the 05 I could have had more standard options, more available customized options, and all for about $5K less. Oh well.
Old 02-03-06, 02:34 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I would appreciate it if when someone gets one of these fine babies to take it to a track with about a 1/4 tank of gas and let me know the real 1/4 mile time, not the Lexus times.
Old 02-03-06, 08:17 PM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
The RX350 is already on sale in japan as the harrier it has the 3.5 but same transmission i didnt see any changes in the styling maybe led tailights but it basically was the same exact vehicle.

Here is a link from the other section of this board for the 330 and 400. It lists the Ukrainian Lexus site and I threw in a translation website towards the bottom. You can also use that translation on the Japan Toyota Harrier website.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198374

Check it out. I thought that was pretty cool!

Jay
Old 02-05-06, 09:00 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Probable RX350 Power

Toyota has made no secret that the '07 Camry will have a 350 engine and 6 speed automatic. The hp numbers they use (268) is the same as the current Avalon engine, so it is likely that the RX350 (and ES350) will have a version of that powertrain. Exact horsepower will depend on things like exhaust restriction, ignition advance curve, intake restriction, etc. Even so, the 350 engine with a 5 speed auto gets the Avalon to 60 in around 6.7 sec depending on whose test numbers you believe. With the 6 speed transmission the RX350 could be in the 7 second range to 60, or about as fast as the RX400h.
Steve

2006 RX400h
2003 G35 Coupe
Old 02-05-06, 10:01 PM
Lexwang07

I saw Car and Driver magazine, so the RX350 remain similar RX330, but main new were 270HP and 10 HP less than Infiniti FX35! Starting price around est. $39000-$40000. Good new for Lexus RX fans out there! Maybe, New 2007 X5 remain 255 HP use same engines as 3 & 5.
Old 02-06-06, 10:02 AM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Default rx350 info

so chicago auto show comming arround. ive seen first hand the car. knoticable difference. obvously the motor. gs motor and front bumper when i get home ill upload the pix. just wanted to share the info with everyone
Old 02-06-06, 11:00 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by koolaidman
so chicago auto show comming arround. ive seen first hand the car. knoticable difference. obvously the motor. gs motor and front bumper when i get home ill upload the pix. just wanted to share the info with everyone
RX350 will have Avalon's 2GR-FE engine. GS350 has 2GR-FSE, not the same engine. Lexus has been using Camry V6's powertrain on the heavier SUV ever since the RX is introduced, no reason to change since RX owners simply do not care.
Now please someone tell me that I am wrong. Even IS350 has the more powerful 2GR-FSE AND it is 500lbs lighter.
Old 02-06-06, 11:20 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexwang07
I saw Car and Driver magazine, so the RX350 remain similar RX330, but main new were 270HP and 10 HP less than Infiniti FX35! Starting price around est. $39000-$40000. Good new for Lexus RX fans out there! Maybe, New 2007 X5 remain 255 HP use same engines as 3 & 5.
I faced off against an X5 3.0 and it really got toasted by my RX. Nice to know the newer ones will lose, too.

Quick Reply: RX350 Questions / Speculation (merged threads)