RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Help a former Bimmer owner decide between an RX330 and a GX470!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-04, 06:32 PM
JuBu
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Help a former Bimmer owner decide between an RX330 and a GX470!

Okay, so I'm trying to decide between getting an RX330 and a GX470, most likely a 2004 model year. Other than the obvious, which is the size and price between the two, what other opinions do you guys have regarding these two vehicles? I've grown tired of driving a "car" (and a modified car at that) and want to step into a luxury SUV which is more friendly to potholes and speedbumps.

Did many of you guys decide between the two, and if so, what driving factors led you to your decision? After owning your vehicles for a while now, what regrets/praises do you have about it?

My father has always been a die-hard Lexus fan because of the service and quality of their cars so I know what great hands I'll be in. I just need to decide now!!!

And most importantly, how much can I expect to pay for a 2004 RX330 with *at most* 20 to 25k miles? The options I want are NAVI, ML Sound, RSES w/ backup cam. Any ideas on price? My neighbor has a new Silver RX330 and its sooooooo nice!

Alternatively, I'm considering a 2004 GX470 with *at most* 20 to 25k miles? The main options I want are NAVI, ML Sound and the RSES. I also want Crystal White--is that a rare color? I will also be posting this on the GX forum for the guys there.

Thanks!!

Here's a pic of my current car which I'll be selling soon She's a 1997 328i with only 34k original miles...any buyers?

Old 07-06-04, 07:41 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default so your getting rid of the bimmer eh!

Given the performance, handling and fun factor of the e36 3 series, you might want to stick with the Rx as a best alternative... It's still built on a car platform and provides the practicality of awd...

Have you driven both the Gx and Rx, and if so, what did you think...?

You a Roadfly member???

Last edited by Fern; 07-06-04 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-06-04, 10:14 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't speak for the GX, but only for the RX330. Before I go on though I have to say if you are expecting any sort of handling or even just handling feel from the RX or and SUV that is comparable to a car much less a BMW you won't get it. That said, I traded in a mildly modified E36 325i (Suspension and 18" rims) for the 04 RX330. The main reason why I did that was because it was for the wife anyway and I don't drive the RX330 like I do a car. I fully expected it to not have the same feel in corners and it does not. However, it is easy to drive fairly fast and doesn't really scare you in corners once you get used to it aftar about a month or two. My personal car is an Acura NSX and I routinely jump back and forth between the two. Even though both cars are at extreme opposite ends, I still feel the RX330 handles really well. I definately can't take corners at 70+ MPH or brake from 100MPH+ down to 40 in a second, but over all it performs and handles well. Oddly enough I also have gotten used to driving up high. With the NSX you feel like you are sitting on the road as my cars roof about the middle of most cars on the road (I'm 5'4" and I look down on my roof top). The first month or two it was tough driving so high, but now I don't even notice the transition. I think the difference between sport cars, or sporty cars and SUVs are so great that you really don't compare the two in terms of driver feel. Over all, if you are ready for an SUV and ready to fly over pot holes I think you will be happy with the RX330 or GX470. It really is a differeny ball game in therms of vehicles but if you are ready for SUVs and what they are you should be okay.
Old 07-06-04, 10:15 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you can't go wrong with a GX. it's an amazing vehicle. Go to the dealership and test drve both of them.
Old 07-07-04, 01:49 AM
VEGASRX330
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I write this obviously biased opinion, keep in mind, it's just one guy's opinion but here goes..for one, the RX is a LOT more stylish than the GX. Mostly all the magazines I have read point out that the new style RX is one of the most stylish SUVs out there. the GX looks like any other big truck on the road. I was checking what the GX owners were saying and some were saying how RXs were for girls or soccer moms, but I think if you want a grocery getter, that looks like just a big truck, that'll fit the whole "Brady Bunch" crew than get the GX. If you want something that'll still perfectly fit a family of 4 while standing out from the many SUVs out there..than style goes to the RX.

Also, having cars all my life, the RX wasn't that bad of a transition. The GX just oozes out big truck, and not much else. I checked out the GX while at the showroom before picking up my RX, and I didnt see anything special about it. About the only thing that really stood out was the higher price, higher/wider stance (less garage space), and boring styling. Now I ask you, which one screams out soccer mom now?

Last edited by VEGASRX330; 07-07-04 at 01:56 AM.
Old 07-07-04, 11:52 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice ride haha, how much you selling for?

what rims are those you have on the bimmer? size? brand?

willing to part just the rims?

i'm loving both the rx3 rx330 and the gx470...

everytime i drive my rx3 and see other rx330s i want it baddd... when i get a rx330 loaner i want it even MORE... and then when i see a gx470, i'm like wow, thats just a chill ride... I WANT lol...

but then again when i step out of my rx3 and look at it (when its clean and waxxed) i feel my rx3 is just as good
Old 07-07-04, 11:53 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Justin,

It's nice to see you here. Was it you that emailed me about the springs? Sorry, I replied to it twice stating that they were just recently sold to another buyer. Hope you got the message in time.

I don't really know too much about Lexus SUVs but from my experiences with the SC4, I'd say go for it. As much as I love my Bimmer, my Lexus with 3 times the mileage of my BMW just has far less problems, rattles, noises, etc.

Good luck.

Jon
Old 07-07-04, 05:13 PM
JuBu
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Baby ///M3
Hey Justin,

It's nice to see you here. Was it you that emailed me about the springs? Sorry, I replied to it twice stating that they were just recently sold to another buyer. Hope you got the message in time.

I don't really know too much about Lexus SUVs but from my experiences with the SC4, I'd say go for it. As much as I love my Bimmer, my Lexus with 3 times the mileage of my BMW just has far less problems, rattles, noises, etc.

Good luck.

Jon
Haha...nice to see you here too Jon...It was me who emailed you about the springs since I already got some and since I'm not buying anymore mods for the car until I decide what to do with it. I'm really wanting an RX or GX though......
Old 07-07-04, 07:31 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Small deal, but there are a few things that stick out to me that don't have anything to do with size or whatnot.

1. No in-dash 6 cd changer in the GX ... magazine in the glove compartment.

2. Only one wood option ... and I don't like the light wood in the RX or the GX.
Old 07-07-04, 08:07 PM
04rx330
Driver School Candidate

For me, personally, I did not like the swing out rear door of the GX. I would have to open my garage door just to put something in the back, where I able to open the RX's rear door without opening my garage door. Also, my wife really like the power rear door. I still really like the GX and it may not be an issue for you, but it was the door the made me choose the RX.
Old 07-07-04, 08:26 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RX330 vx GX470

Seems as you have already made a determination that you do not want an RX330 because it is a 'car like' ride and drive. If I were in the market for a luxury SUV I would go for the GX470 myself. I have a RX300 and have been very pleased with it. However, as you say it isn't a real SUV as such but you can't beat its' ride and handling. I have a friend who bought the big HONDA SUV and thought it was great until he bought a GX470. It is definitely a fine piece of equipment.

You will not go wrong with a choice of either, especially the GX470.

GCrim21
Old 07-07-04, 08:29 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For a former Bimmer driver, you may be happier with the RX330 w/ sports suspension. The GX470 is rather clumsy, though not bad comparing to other SUVs in the same class.
Old 07-07-04, 08:36 PM
Ziggy09
Driver

if you want style get the RX, if you need tahe size get the GX... anyone else think the back of the GX looks like a van??
Old 07-07-04, 09:39 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Very nice.

Get a SC get a SC get a SC get a SC.

But RX and GX are nice too!

Jon

Originally posted by JuBu
Haha...nice to see you here too Jon...It was me who emailed you about the springs since I already got some and since I'm not buying anymore mods for the car until I decide what to do with it. I'm really wanting an RX or GX though......
Old 07-08-04, 04:20 AM
JuBu
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Baby ///M3
Very nice.

Get a SC get a SC get a SC get a SC.

But RX and GX are nice too!

Jon
SC's are nice...but I need a car for snow.......I ain't out in Cali like you!

Quick Reply: Help a former Bimmer owner decide between an RX330 and a GX470!