RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Tripmeter problem on RX330???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-03, 05:04 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Tripmeter problem on RX330???

My friend bought a new RX330 2 months ago (his first Lexus) and he tells me the tripmeter automatically resets to zero everytime the engine is shutoff. In other words, he sets the trip meter to zero at fillup or before a long trip but when he shuts down the engine and restarts again, the reading on the tripmeter all turns to zero. That sure doesn't sound right. He assures me he didn't touch any of the reset button. I have 3 Lexuses and the tripmeters never reset themselves. He complained to the dealer and they said all RX330 are like that. I find that extremely hard to believe since this setup doesn't make sense. Do you folks out there with the RX330 have similar "problem" like I described? Thanks.
Old 11-21-03, 06:59 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tripmeter problem on RX330???

Originally posted by LexusPia
My friend bought a new RX330 2 months ago (his first Lexus) and he tells me the tripmeter automatically resets to zero everytime the engine is shutoff. In other words, he sets the trip meter to zero at fillup or before a long trip but when he shuts down the engine and restarts again, the reading on the tripmeter all turns to zero.
Our center display trip (Nav) resets when you fill it up with gas. It shouldn't reset when you shut the engine off. The instrument pod one doesn't reset unless you do it.

John
Old 11-21-03, 05:13 PM
eyebike
Driver

There's 2 tripmeters. The one to which your friend refers to does reset and start with each use of the car. There is another separate one which keeps tally until manually reset.
Old 11-22-03, 08:03 AM
Big Behr
Driver School Candidate

II believe there *is* a feature on the NAV package Trip Information screen (the one which tracks the MPG and range remaining) which displays the distance travelled and average MPH since the engine was turned on. It resets each time you turn off the engine. Could this be the feature you're thinking of?
Old 11-24-03, 10:25 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

My friend is referring to the tripmeter, not the MPG nor the range. Eyebike, I fail to see the purpose of such a tripmeter that resets itself automatically every time the engine is shut off. I can possibly see when one meter is reset after each fill-up but resetting to zero everytime the engine is shutoff seems ludicrous.
Old 11-24-03, 03:22 PM
eyebike
Driver

My wife has to keep track of her miles for business, recording the miles at each stop. Before she turns off the car, she makes note of the miles. Occasionally on long trips, I use it to see how far I went between stops.

The tripmeter on the dash can keep track of 2 trips--trip A and trip B. This one acts like a conventional tripmeter.
Old 11-25-03, 03:03 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The trip meter A and B that toggles with the odometer does NOT reset automatically. You must manually reset both the A or B trip meters. Just to be clear, this is the one in the instrument cluster. The trip meter on the center information center resets itself everytime you turn the car off. This meter is good for monitoring the distance you just traveled from point A to point B. In the information center display their is also a E/T timmer that resets the same as the distance traveled trip meter. So, if it is the trip meter in the intrument cluster that reads A or B that is resetting it is definately not normal and the dealer should be able to replace the cluster if needed.