Could exhaust leak trigger Code P0136? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could exhaust leak trigger Code P0136?

Old 01-11-19, 09:31 PM
OilMemes
Driver School Candidate

Default Could exhaust leak trigger Code P0136?

Hi all,
For a while, I had an exhaust leak on my 01 RX. It has gotten progressively louder since maybe the last two years, I thought maybe I would be able to ignore it.
But tonight, I was driving home, and the front left tire suddenly hit a sharp bump (from poor construction work on the road). Only 2 seconds later, both CEL and VSC lights come on! So when I plugged in my OBD BT reader and open Torque app, it only showed one code: P0136, described "O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction, B1 S2."
So what I am interested to know is, is it possible the hard jolt from the bump loosen the broken exhaust leak enough that this code would be triggered? When the status of Emissions Controls is checked, everything shows as "Ready".

If someone could weigh in, I would be appreciative.
Old 01-11-19, 09:56 PM
Nad1370
Lead Lap

Its possible if the exhaust leak (before the cat) is significant to change the voltage read by the ECU from the O2 sensor.

Voltage output of heated oxygen sensor (bank 1 sensor 2) remains at 0.4 V or more or 0.6 V or less when vehicle is driven at 31 mph or more after engine is warmed up (2 trip detection logic)

I actually have been driving with an exhaust leak at the flex pipe.
Never had the 136 code but when i did, I ended up replacing the O2 sensor and that fixed the 136.
I eventually fixed my exhaust leak.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nad1370 For This Useful Post:
OilMemes (01-12-19)
Old 01-14-19, 10:01 PM
OilMemes
Driver School Candidate

Update: The CEL and VSC lights did not come on while driving around today.. However, the Code P0136 is still stored in the OBD memory when checked on Torque tonight.
I plan to go get the exhaust repairs done sometime this week and clear OBD. Hopefully that will take care of it.
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by OilMemes View Post
Update: The CEL and VSC lights did not come on while driving around today.. However, the Code P0136 is still stored in the OBD memory when checked on Torque tonight.
I plan to go get the exhaust repairs done sometime this week and clear OBD. Hopefully that will take care of it.
Please make sure you are not reading a 'pending' code. Pending could be due to past error, if not cleared, or new accumulation which has not happened enough times to pop up as real error or cleared out.

Salim
Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM
OilMemes
Driver School Candidate

Salim, you are correct, the code status did in fact change from Active to Pending, when I checked after CEL stays off.
But anyways...

I did go to the local Muffler shop yesterday, they found a break (I mean, you could put your ear close and hear it) between the cat and the flex pipe, also the flex pipe itself was very worn and needed replacement. So I got both of those fixed, the vehicle is now quieter compared to before. In fact, it even seems there is a little more power to the engine compared to before, especially on acceleration
OBD was reset by Torque, will be running later the Readiness Drive Patterns (I saved the PDF) to get the O2 and Evap monitors set, and hopefully it will be ok.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: