RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Juddering under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-19, 04:57 PM
Markkosz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Juddering under acceleration

I have a 2002 Lexus RX300 with 155,000 miles on it. When I accelerate with the car warmed up, and only when I only give it a little throttle, the car makes a grinding/skipping/pulsing from the front. After a few seconds it goes away and car drives fine otherwise. For those few seconds I can feel juddering in the wheel, and the whole front of the car.
Old 01-01-19, 05:52 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

2wd or awd?
“Skipping, pulsing”
Does the engine feel like its struggling when this happens?
Does it do it one time after start up or every time coming from a stop?
Trying to figure out if its suspension or engine related.
Old 01-02-19, 03:36 AM
Markkosz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It’s an AWD model... and it feels as if the traction control was kicking on and cutting power. The traction light will flash sometimes when doing this, however the wheels are not spinning. It feels more like a drivetrain issue, because the car pulls strong at any other time. Only when coming from a complete stop do I get this juddering from the front, but I can get it to do it almost every time I start.
Old 01-02-19, 09:20 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Before you dig into more intricate things like tone ring and sensors, check the quality of tires, condition of tread and inflation level.

Salim
Old 01-02-19, 03:36 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Try disabling the traction control and see if it still "judders".
Old 12-17-19, 08:08 PM
tllee
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Markkosz,

I know this is an old thread but my 02 RX300 has the same "judder" condition as yours. Do you find any answer or solution? I am highly suspect that's torque converter shudder problem but the problem only happened when start moving from stop and under light throttle. If you see my reply, please give some feedback. Thank.
Old 12-17-19, 08:12 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by tllee
Hi Markkosz,

I know this is an old thread but my 02 RX300 has the same "judder" condition as yours. Do you find any answer or solution? I am highly suspect that's torque converter shudder problem but the problem only happened when start moving from stop and under light throttle. If you see my reply, please give some feedback. Thank.
Pull the connector off the abs and see if it goes away.
Old 12-18-19, 01:41 PM
tllee
Rookie

Originally Posted by carguy07
Pull the connector off the abs and see if it goes away.
That's one thing I am going to try but I fairly sure my ABS wasn't activated(my feeling sure is not fast enough to catch on computer's response). I already changed my transmission fluid and filter(it was changed 12000 miles ago and my transmission run smoothly)but it's still happening. BTW, no code, no light on, I scan it several times.
Old 12-18-19, 04:18 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

That's one thing I am going to try but I fairly sure my ABS wasn't activated(my feeling sure is not fast enough to catch on computer's response). I already changed my transmission fluid and filter(it was changed 12000 miles ago and my transmission run smoothly)but it's still happening. BTW, no code, no light on, I scan it several times.
obdII codes are typically emission issues [sub set of all problems].

Salim
Old 12-20-19, 10:24 AM
tllee
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
obdII codes are typically emission issues [sub set of all problems].

Salim
Anybody could tell me how it feel like when VSC activated? I never have that experience so I need to figure out that. When VSC activated, it will do two things, utilize the ABS to brake wheel and reduce engine output to gain control. I know how it feel when ABS activated but no idea about the reduce engine output. I suspect the transmission turbine speed sensor may act up. That's reason why I need to know.
Old 12-20-19, 03:48 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

You won't feel anything other than the ABS activating. You can disable the ABS in seconds by disconnecting the harness. Do this and see what happens... or keep speculating about other things that rarely go wrong.
The following users liked this post:
salimshah (12-20-19)
Old 12-21-19, 07:37 PM
tllee
Rookie

Originally Posted by carguy07
You won't feel anything other than the ABS activating. You can disable the ABS in seconds by disconnecting the harness. Do this and see what happens... or keep speculating about other things that rarely go wrong.
Thank for the advice. I am with you, I hate to throw in parts and money for problem that I am not sure. I will disable ABS by remove the relay or harness and give it a try. I just want to clean up the two transmission sensors which are use magnetic to detect the speed, it will also suck in a lot of metal particles inside the transmission. That could make them a little inaccurate and cause weird problem(computer still recognize them OK, so no light yet). BTW, this shudder problem barely happen, probably once or twice on a long trip, sometimes it don't act up at all, I need to drive a long time in order to sure I find the solution. I'll report back as soon as I find out(The temperature here is going down to 20s)
Old 12-27-19, 04:10 PM
tllee
Rookie

I finally confirm that my VSC was activated on wrong occasions. I connected my mini VCI and run VSC/ABS/Track data list on Techstream while I was driving around, I recorded the whole incident.
But it puzzle me more, the shudder happened when car start moving from 0-3 mile/hr , the ABS pump is on, the right rear and front left solenoids are on, one track control solenoid is on too.
All my wheel speed sensors work fine, speeds shown on 4 wheels almost are same except when make turn. The biggest difference is 0.6 m/h and all report speed at same time. Steering Angle sensor seem working fine with yaw sensor.
But I have no any experience on this data, anybody can give me some ideas where to look? It will be very appreciated.
Old 12-28-19, 08:12 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

I finally confirm that my VSC was activated on wrong occasions. I connected my mini VCI and run VSC/ABS/Track data list on Techstream while I was driving around, I recorded the whole incident.
But it puzzle me more, the shudder happened when car start moving from 0-3 mile/hr , the ABS pump is on, the right rear and front left solenoids are on, one track control solenoid is on too.
All my wheel speed sensors work fine, speeds shown on 4 wheels almost are same except when make turn. The biggest difference is 0.6 m/h and all report speed at same time. Steering Angle sensor seem working fine with yaw sensor.
But I have no any experience on this data, anybody can give me some ideas where to look? It will be very appreciated.

You could possibly have broken reluctor rings.
My ABS would briefly kick on right before i come to a stop or sometimes coming off a stop. (no codes where stored for me but some members here did have have a code(s))
Broken reluctor (tone) rings are common on older/higher mileage RX's.
I never did try to find which ring broke but when i did my L / R wheel bearing, boom...that reluctor ring was split due to rust on that axle.
I ended up just disabling my ABS.
Old 12-30-19, 06:41 PM
tllee
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nad1370
You could possibly have broken reluctor rings.
My ABS would briefly kick on right before i come to a stop or sometimes coming off a stop. (no codes where stored for me but some members here did have have a code(s))
Broken reluctor (tone) rings are common on older/higher mileage RX's.
I never did try to find which ring broke but when i did my L / R wheel bearing, boom...that reluctor ring was split due to rust on that axle.
I ended up just disabling my ABS.
Yes, it's one of the possibilities. I look at my data list from Techstream, no particular sensor act abnormal. I will give it another try, to get more data, the most difficult thing is to find a straight road and can drive very slow for 2 mins(I'm in northern NJ, close to NYC), that could trigger my VSC more easy. My car only act up under 4 MPH and moving slow from a complete stop, no brake pedal. It could happen next second or not in next 24 hours.
It's a pity that you didn't change your tone ring or CV axle when you have the best opportunity. The axles listed on Rockauto has very good prices, the tone ring even cheaper. From the pictures on Rockauto website, I can tell the tone ring is actually sit on two pieces of stainless rings which can be separated in order to remove and install tone ring(my reasonable guess).

Quick Reply: Juddering under acceleration