RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2000 RX no codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-18, 08:27 AM
TEK2000RX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 RX no codes

Any suggestions? This can’t be normal? No codes but the old girl seems to be struggling.

Old 09-30-18, 08:32 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,101 Likes on 991 Posts

I fail to see any abnormality.

Can you please state the 'change' you have noticed recently?

The rpm range in various settings seems correct to me.

Salim
Old 09-30-18, 08:38 AM
TEK2000RX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
I fail to see any abnormality.

Can you please state the 'change' you have noticed recently?

The rpm range in various settings seems correct to me.

Salim
thanks Salim. It seems to have considerably less power but since I started working on her I’m paying closer attention and if you say that’s normal then I won’t worry. I still have the (gerbils) noise behind the console so that’s the focus today.
Old 09-30-18, 12:03 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 204 Posts

Can you please clarify your concern? I see RPMs drop after you turned AC off, but that is actually normal. AC demands more power from motor, so ECM compensates by revving it some. My Dodge RAM does same - about 100 RPM difference.
Old 09-30-18, 12:07 PM
TEK2000RX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Can you please clarify your concern? I see RPMs drop after you turned AC off, but that is actually normal. AC demands more power from motor, so ECM compensates by revving it some. My Dodge RAM does same - about 100 RPM difference.
I’ve recently noticed it’s harder to get up steep hills and my MPG is lacking. I thought the rpms seemed low when I put it in gear.
Old 09-30-18, 02:37 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

Those RPMs are normal for a warmed up car in drive and neutral. When hot my RX will idle in drive at around 630 RPM (using a code reader to get the true value). Your RPM meter looks similar to mine when swapping from drive to neutral at a stop.

Now that your RPMs at a stop is clarified, please explain your issues when going up a hill.
Old 09-30-18, 02:41 PM
TEK2000RX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmus
Those RPMs are normal for a warmed up car in drive and neutral. When hot my RX will idle in drive at around 630 RPM (using a code reader to get the true value). Your RPM meter looks similar to mine when swapping from drive to neutral at a stop.

Now that your RPMs at a stop is clarified, please explain your issues when going up a hill.
Every day I go up the same hill and she loses power. If I have the A/C on I have to turn it off to regain power.
Old 09-30-18, 03:08 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,101 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by TEK2000RX

thanks Salim. It seems to have considerably less power but since I started working on her I’m paying closer attention and if you say that’s normal then I won’t worry. I still have the (gerbils) noise behind the console so that’s the focus today.
cold idle can be as high as 1200rpm and normal ranges from 550 -750. idle rpm has very little to do with loss of power.

Check out the mode servo.

If you have not done so, please read through the sticky threads. Most of the problems that owners face are listed in there.

Salim
Old 09-30-18, 05:14 PM
Androman
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

this is exactly what my car is doing. When and only when the RPM's drop below 750ish like yours does, its very rough and vibrates my car. it cant be normal, because its so random. Sometimes when I pull up to a stop light, theyll drop to 650-500 and the engine begins to run rough, if I push on the gas a little it fixes it sometimes or if I turn on the headlights, it runs smooth. Does yours do this?
Old 09-30-18, 05:18 PM
TEK2000RX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Androman
this is exactly what my car is doing. When and only when the RPM's drop below 750ish like yours does, its very rough and vibrates my car. it cant be normal, because its so random. Sometimes when I pull up to a stop light, theyll drop to 650-500 and the engine begins to run rough, if I push on the gas a little it fixes it sometimes. Does yours do this?
Yes! I’ve become used to putting her in neutral at stop lights. It Used to ride smoothly but it is gradually losing something and my gas mileage is terrible.
Old 09-30-18, 05:46 PM
Androman
Pit Crew

Yes! I’ve become used to putting her in neutral at stop lights. It Used to ride smoothly but it is gradually losing something and my gas mileage is terrible.
Wow, ive finally found someone with the same issue as mine. Maybe we can help each other, no one seems to know what it is. Have you done anything to try to fix it? I've been replacing parts for months trying to fix it and nothing has worked...

A common issue with this car seems to be the idle control valve, I've cleaned mine at least 4 times and it did nothing. Maybe ours needs a new one?
Old 09-30-18, 05:52 PM
TEK2000RX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Androman
Wow, ive finally found someone with the same issue as mine. Maybe we can help each other, no one seems to know what it is. Have you done anything to try to fix it? I've been replacing parts for months trying to fix it and nothing has worked...

A common issue with this car seems to be the idle control valve, I've cleaned mine at least 4 times and it did nothing. Maybe ours needs a new one?
I cleaned mine the day before I made the video. I had a new belt installed and changed the plugs and wires. I’ve tried everything I know to help improve the situation and I read in a car blog that it’s possibly a hose with a crack. I’ll have to find that again and share it with you or inspect my hoses. I’m lucky because I knew the original owners of my RX and he was meticulous with maintenance. However, it’s almost 20 years old so I wouldn’t be surprised if it were something like a small crack in some old rubber.
Old 09-30-18, 06:04 PM
Androman
Pit Crew

I cleaned mine the day before I made the video. I had a new belt installed and changed the plugs and wires. I’ve tried everything I know to help improve the situation and I read in a car blog that it’s possibly a hose with a crack. I’ll have to find that again and share it with you or inspect my hoses. I’m lucky because I knew the original owners of my RX and he was meticulous with maintenance. However, it’s almost 20 years old so I wouldn’t be surprised if it were something like a small crack in some old rubber.

Hmm... I've looked all over for vacuum leaks, I changed a few old brittle hoses. By "wires" do you mean coil packs?
So far I've done,
New Denso long life Plugs
Cleaned idle control valve, throttle body and MAF sensor
Throttle position sensor
changed coolant
transmission fluid and filter
rebuilt alternator
fixed cracked over fill check valve in gas tank
Multiple engine flushes
Tried almost every bottle of injector cleaner known to man
New purge valve on air box
New torque mount
Think thats about it

One other thing I do notice, sometimes if I floor it getting on a highway or something, Ill smell a rotten egg smell, This could mean a bad catalytic converter. I had this issue on a ford contour a long time ago, It idled real rough and would sometimes smell the rotten egg smell. Then one day it just wouldn't go over 5mph, sure enough it was the cat. But I was thinking that would throw a code, if it was plugged up. So I dunno...

Last edited by Androman; 09-30-18 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-30-18, 06:36 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

People have complained about the vibration in drive at a stop as far back as 2004, maybe earlier.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-problem.html
A few folks have said that changing the engine mounts helps, but many had no relief after doing so. I just shift to neutral if it bugs me.
Old 10-05-18, 07:27 PM
Androman
Pit Crew

If you figure something out, would you please let me know. Thank you.

Quick Reply: 2000 RX no codes