RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission options - Used, Used Japanese, Reman, Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-18, 06:59 PM
oxonian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission options - Used, Used Japanese, Reman, Rebuild

Hello,

I have a used (I am the 4th owner I believe, purchased it at about 125k miles) 2002 RX 300 here in the Houston, TX area.

It now has about 195k miles, about 6 months ago I replaced 2 solenoids on the transmission as they were giving an error code. Everything else seemed ok, there was just some porcupine like shavings in the fluid pan, the fluid looked red, not burnt. The car worked fine after the solenoids were changed.

A couple of weeks ago I began to hear a whining noise for a few mins when the car started, and then one day on the way home, I noticed the car took a second before it went into reverse, and then a few mins later I started hearing some clunking noises and the car stalled. I managed to pull into a driveway, the car would not move in reverse (the gears shift, we checked with a scanner) but physically there was no movement. The car barely moves forward in drive, and does not move with manual force even when in neutral.

My friend who is a mobile mechanic thoroughly checked for any codes, none, so it seems that there must be some mechanical issue with the transmission as I heard the sounds and the car is not going into neutral even if the gear is shifting into neutral electronically. There are no error codes.

My mobile mechanic friend is willing to install a transmission for his labor fee plus of course I would bear the parts costs.

I am wondering what to do, I really want to see if I can get the car working again and keep it alive for maybe 6-12 months with minimal usage maybe 100-200 miles a month just for emergency use as our other car has a smaller passenger and luggage capacity.

My transmission type is U140E FWD

The options I have seen are:

1) Used Japan Direct Motor transmission e.g. USED JDM transmission

2) I can find a used transmission via e.g car-part.com or locally for about $1000-$1500 with about 125k miles on it

3) Rebuild transmission at a local shop - about $2000 - I just checked with one shop in the area

4) Re-manufactured transmission e.g. Transmission Authority via Rockauto for $2700

What do you all feel?

Does anyone have any good leads for either a shop in Houston or online/physical stores to buy a used/rebuilt/reman transmission?

Thank you!

edit ..snip @removed

Last edited by salimshah; 06-19-18 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-19-18, 08:57 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Check around the Houston area with different trans shops get prices also if you go with a rebuild tell them to use hardened planetary gears and weld the caps on them.
Then go to Wall Mart or Auto Zone and get 3 1gallon Max Life transmission fluid and have the rebuilder us it and you trans will last for years to come.
Check with the rebuilder on how may quarts your tranny uses and buy that amount.
When you service your trans around 25-30k always buy 1 gallon of Max Life that what it takes to do a tranny service and tell the trans shop to use that trans fluid.
If you are a DIY type you can just let the fluid out the drain plug in the transmission pan and just add the 4 quarts your self always buy a crush washer for the drain plug at the Pep Boys or the dealer about a dollar.
I drain my fluid about every 20k using Max Life on my 2001 RX I did replace the trans at 165,000 using hardened gears and welded caps on the planetary gears the trans will last at least 300,000 miles now.
The Max Life can handle the hot and cold weather there in Texas no problem and it is designed for the RX trans I don't use the Toyota fluids they are not synthetic which is a far cry from dino oil.
I have used synthetic oil my cars for years running cars to over 500,000 miles, also flush out your power steering using Max Life work great in the PS also use synthetic oil in your motor all brands are good.
The following users liked this post:
oxonian (06-26-18)
Old 06-19-18, 08:58 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,103 Likes on 992 Posts

If rest off the vehicle is in good condition/OK the spend the least $ to fix. If you want to use it frequently then spend more.

Salim
oxonian (06-26-18)
Old 06-20-18, 01:12 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I will suggest a rebuild as second hand wont last. I have also added a cooler.I suggest you check the flow as one time with these same symptoms I had a blocked filter and once changed managed to get it to drive again.
oxonian (06-26-18)
Old 06-20-18, 07:09 AM
oxonian
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone. What is the deal with these JDM transmissions? Are they hit or miss?

Does anyone have a referral for a source for a used transmission (I do not mind driving a bit if I need to get it) or a referral for a good transmission rebuild store in/around the Houston area? I would need to have the vehicle towed so I cannot really go too far if I am sending it for a rebuild!

Thank you
Old 06-20-18, 09:57 AM
Audiqv8
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

JDM stands for Japan Domestic Market. Their engines and transmission are low mileage. If you're in the Houston area, check with Hiram Gutierrez Master Rebuilder at Transmissions Unlimited. You can check out some of his Youtube videos.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuJ...1BP8SRqN0AKfZw
oxonian (06-26-18)
Old 06-21-18, 06:00 AM
oxonian
Driver School Candidate

Hello

I appreciate the replies, thank you.

I read that the JDM transmissions may not be an exact fit etc. If they are issue free then they seem like a great deal if one goes down that route...about $1200 for a transmission with 55k miles or so.

I tried high and low to locate contact information for Hiram Gutierrez but nothing, I can only find his you tube and google+ accounts with the last posts from 2017. I know I can post a comment or something on those sites, but who knows when and if he will respond.

Does anyone have a way for me to contact him or can you please send him a message on my behalf?

Or does anyone have any other leads for either used transmissions (in store in Houston or Dallas/Austin/San Antonio or anywhere online) or transmission rebuild in the Houston area?

Thank you so much
Old 06-21-18, 08:28 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Give Circle D transmission a call in Houston. I reached out to my old neighbor in Sugarland and he and his friends use their service when it comes to transmissions. Hope they can help you out.
oxonian (06-26-18)
Old 06-21-18, 03:57 PM
oxonian
Driver School Candidate

Hello @fastnoypi

I gave Circle D transmission a call. It seems that they have executive assistants picking up the phone. They said that the supplier they get remanufactured transmissions from does not have the U140E for a 2002 Lexus RX 300

I even gave them my VIN to check.

Hmm

I asked them do you rebuild, they said we cannot rebuild all the transmissions we get, as in they dont take on all jobs?\

I was surprised, I even told them this is a mainstream transmission...its not some exotic one.

Anyways, I guess Circle D is out of the question.

So what next now? Any leads on other options in Houston?

Or even any good leads for a reasonable used transmission?

The rest of the car is in great shape, new tires, new brake pads, rotors, etc. all above OEM quality.

Thank you all so much. Please help
Old 06-21-18, 05:24 PM
Hgspine
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very happy with the Certified Transmission reman I got earlier this year for $3000 (including transfer case for my AWD) and including synthetic ATF. Labor was additional.

https://www.certifiedtransmission.com/

3 year/100,000 mile warranty. Looks like they have an installer in your area.

Somewhat pricey but it was worth it to me. Flatbed towing was "free".
oxonian (06-26-18)
Old 06-21-18, 11:25 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

7 years ago, I was facing the same situation as yours. I choosed ete reman, http://www.etereman.com/, and found a local installer to install it. It is running like new, even today. Now the transmission has 7 years, and 80000 miles on it. No problem at all.

The only thing you need to consider is, is it still worth to spend such a big amount of money to repair it, considering it is a 15+ years car.
oxonian (06-26-18)
Old 06-22-18, 04:28 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by oxonian
Hello @fastnoypi

I gave Circle D transmission a call. It seems that they have executive assistants picking up the phone. They said that the supplier they get remanufactured transmissions from does not have the U140E for a 2002 Lexus RX 300

I even gave them my VIN to check.

Hmm

I asked them do you rebuild, they said we cannot rebuild all the transmissions we get, as in they dont take on all jobs?\

I was surprised, I even told them this is a mainstream transmission...its not some exotic one.

Anyways, I guess Circle D is out of the question.

So what next now? Any leads on other options in Houston?

Or even any good leads for a reasonable used transmission?

The rest of the car is in great shape, new tires, new brake pads, rotors, etc. all above OEM quality.

Thank you all so much. Please help

Sorry the lead didn't work out. Another lead is to try Jasper Engines/Transmissions...they have a national distribution network for rebuilt/reman
oxonian (06-26-18)
Old 06-26-18, 08:37 AM
oxonian
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for the information so far. I have a question...

When a shop/mechanic quotes for a transmission rebuild, e.g $2000 does that include the labor to get the damaged transmission out and place it back in?

I had my mobile mechanic friend get to the transmission this past weekend, he is a good mechanic and had air tools and a medium compressor, yet it took him 6-8 hours of solid work to drop the engine and transmission.

A lot of wiring had to be disconnected, alternator removed, starter removed, radiator removed in order to get the alternator physically out away from the engine, etc. etc.

If the transmission rebuild cost (about $2000) typically includes the labor to do all this, then it seems like a great deal? I would think the labor just to remove and install the transmission in itself is 10-12 hours.

Having seen how difficult it is to get to the transmission, I would presume the labor to remove and install is typically extra?

Thank you all so much
Old 06-26-18, 10:43 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,103 Likes on 992 Posts

Originally Posted by oxonian
Thank you all for the information so far. I have a question...

When a shop/mechanic quotes for a transmission rebuild, e.g $2000 does that include the labor to get the damaged transmission out and place it back in?

I had my mobile mechanic friend get to the transmission this past weekend, he is a good mechanic and had air tools and a medium compressor, yet it took him 6-8 hours of solid work to drop the engine and transmission.

A lot of wiring had to be disconnected, alternator removed, starter removed, radiator removed in order to get the alternator physically out away from the engine, etc. etc.

If the transmission rebuild cost (about $2000) typically includes the labor to do all this, then it seems like a great deal? I would think the labor just to remove and install the transmission in itself is 10-12 hours.

Having seen how difficult it is to get to the transmission, I would presume the labor to remove and install is typically extra?

Thank you all so much
I will share my understanding ... which may not be worth much ... you should ask your mechanic ..
Rebuild is done by totally different trades-people. They expect a removed transmission to be brought in and rebuilt transmission to be picked up. Choice of component and the shop rates will determine the price. They should also provide the warranty.
Mechanic will have his labor/parts to uninstall and install. This should include test at reflashing at the end.

You can do two separate deals, but I would recommend let the mechanic do the dealing with the transmission shop. You should have only ONE person to deal with any rework that may arise due to bad build. So let the mechanic keep the extra money.

So confirm with the mechanic
1. The mechanic will absorb all warranty/rework if there are problems.
2. The mechanic bills you for transmission and labor to remove install etc. [ask for the drive out price]
3. Maker sure the transmission shop will put the parts you specify .. steel planetary gears, hem parts gasket, fluid etc.

Note: I am sure you have considered rebuilt transmission [available from lexus too] and used transmissions. Prices for those can be based on core returns [with condition ,,, such as rebuildable etc]. All these are sort of cash and carry. They may offer returns and may carry warranty .. which usually excludes labor. Having them installed is all extra.

Salim
[PS labor may be more if the mechanic has to wait for the repaired transmission to be brought back. It is usually more appealing to remove and install at one time with replacement at hand]
oxonian (06-26-18)
Old 06-26-18, 11:32 AM
oxonian
Driver School Candidate

Hello and thank you salimshah,

This information is really helpful, thank you.

I would prefer a used transmission due to a lower cost, for example, I see a variety on car-part.com

However my concern is that is there any way to test a used transmission before installing it in the car, placing back all the other components, rewiring etc, only to find out that maybe the used transmission was no good?

Any advice on purchasing a used transmission? I do not even mind going to Austin or wherever needed if there is a better source.

I presume the other two options are to rebuild the transmission or to get a re-manufactured transmission.

I am confused whether I should get used for about $1000-$1500, rebuilt for about $2000-2500 or re-manufactured

Any and all advice is welcome please

Thank you so much kind friends

Quick Reply: Transmission options - Used, Used Japanese, Reman, Rebuild