RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission Issues 3rd==>OD and 2nd==>1st

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-18, 10:07 AM
opelmanz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Transmission Issues 3rd==>OD and 2nd==>1st

Hello fellow members,

My 2003 AWD RX300 with 220K needs a little help. Two issues are causing me grief in unpredictable yet repetitive ways...

First is that sometimes I have a shudder when shifting from 3rd gear to overdrive. I have tried to test the causes of the issue including speed, throttle input, engine temperature, etc. The only thing I have found is that sometimes I think it happens more under light throttle input than medium throttle, but it "clunks/shudders" worse under heavy throttle, so I hate to say it, but I usually hold it in 3rd using the O/D button and then click the button after the revs are high enough that I know the transmission won't think twice about shifting.

The second problem relates to coming to a stop and shifting down to first gear. I've read some interesting posts on this subject relating to the design of the transmission but nothing that exactly points in the direction of a possible fix. I will admit all the engine mounts are probably original, but the intermittent nature of the clunk leads me to believe it is more transmission related and not just the engine shifting slightly, unless one of the bushings is so going metal is hitting metal, but I digress.

I have done basically nothing except a drain/refill on the transmission. I do keep the CEL off and try to baby the car around most of the time, but I am starting some regular work soonish and I really need the damn thing to be working better than it is.

I know I can just "take it to the dealer" or "go get a free inspection", but I'm somewhat hesitant to get an inspection if I know I'm really not trying to shell out several hundred dollars for transmission work at the moment...

So a few related questions
1) Is there any chance that my OD solenoid is just garbage and replacing it might help?
2) Does anyone think a flush will "magically" solve this issue?
3) What is the best way to check engine mounts? Park and shift car from R to D and look for a shift?
4) Anyone have related issues on their RX and how did they fix them?

THANK YOU for any help, guidance or experience you can share on this issue.

I am willing to spend time/money on this issue, but not $1000s worth :/
Old 05-18-18, 02:27 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Unless you see an advert., dealer does not do the inspection/diagnosis for free.

Salim
Old 05-18-18, 05:56 PM
Dukenukemx
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by opelmanz
Hello fellow members,

My 2003 AWD RX300 with 220K needs a little help. Two issues are causing me grief in unpredictable yet repetitive ways...

First is that sometimes I have a shudder when shifting from 3rd gear to overdrive. I have tried to test the causes of the issue including speed, throttle input, engine temperature, etc. The only thing I have found is that sometimes I think it happens more under light throttle input than medium throttle, but it "clunks/shudders" worse under heavy throttle, so I hate to say it, but I usually hold it in 3rd using the O/D button and then click the button after the revs are high enough that I know the transmission won't think twice about shifting.

The second problem relates to coming to a stop and shifting down to first gear. I've read some interesting posts on this subject relating to the design of the transmission but nothing that exactly points in the direction of a possible fix. I will admit all the engine mounts are probably original, but the intermittent nature of the clunk leads me to believe it is more transmission related and not just the engine shifting slightly, unless one of the bushings is so going metal is hitting metal, but I digress.

I have done basically nothing except a drain/refill on the transmission. I do keep the CEL off and try to baby the car around most of the time, but I am starting some regular work soonish and I really need the damn thing to be working better than it is.

I know I can just "take it to the dealer" or "go get a free inspection", but I'm somewhat hesitant to get an inspection if I know I'm really not trying to shell out several hundred dollars for transmission work at the moment...

So a few related questions
1) Is there any chance that my OD solenoid is just garbage and replacing it might help?
2) Does anyone think a flush will "magically" solve this issue?
3) What is the best way to check engine mounts? Park and shift car from R to D and look for a shift?
4) Anyone have related issues on their RX and how did they fix them?

THANK YOU for any help, guidance or experience you can share on this issue.

I am willing to spend time/money on this issue, but not $1000s worth :/
Would a trans flush flx it? Maybe. But a regular pan drop with new filter would be just as effective in my opinion. If you just drain and refill the trans, I would drop the pan and clean the area with brake cleaner. There's a magnet that'll need cleaning and of course change the filter. The trans fluid I would use is Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle trans fluid. The stuff is super cheap, and really good. It's full synthetic and exceeds the needs of the RX300's trans.

In my opinion one of the trans solenoids are bad, probably the 3-4 solenoid. While the pan is off, pull out each solenoid and spray them clean with brake cleaner, along with the hole they were in as well. For extra good measure, get Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder fix. A lot of people praise this product and yes the name sounds gay.

Amazon Amazon