RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lexus RX300 Altezza lights

Old 07-14-03, 08:53 AM
badams
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update on accident.

Got x-rays of my neck Friday night and I have no breaks or fractures. Doctor did give me pain killers for neck and back muscle spasms I've been having since the accident. Except these pain killers put me to sleep something bad. I'd almost rather have the pain because once I take one pain killer I'm useless for the next 6 hours. They also make me dizzy on top of the making me tired.

The insurance company of the car that caused the accident is going to pay to fix our back bumper and they are also buying us a new baby car seat. I guess there is some law that requires insurance companies to replace baby car seats any time they are in an accident.

Any way, that is about it.

badams
Old 07-14-03, 09:27 AM
rhack1
Rookie

Default 2001-2003 headlights on a 1999

do the 2001-2002 chrome headlights fit the 1999 without any mods?...i like the looks of the chrome ones versus the black ones...are there pros/cons of genuine lexus headlights versus aftermarket?...i'm a novice here...is the headlight assembly one piece -- it looks like two parts with a strip in between...on the 1999 the strip is painted body color...on the 2001-2002 the strip looks to be chrome...if two parts, do both need to be replaced...is there a diff in the lower section where the fog lights are between the model years?...thx for any help...Rob
Old 07-14-03, 10:58 AM
badams
Pole Position

The headlights are identical except for the fact the older ones have grey/black on the inside and the newer ones have chrome on the inside. The headlight is all one piece, the painted strip simply snaps on to cover up an ugly part of the headlight. The TYC aftermarket headlights come with a chrome strip, all original Lexus RX300 come with a painted strip. This strip snaps on and has a screw on one end. I left the chrome strip on my headlights because the painted strip had some chips. I may re-paint my original strips, I cannot decide which I like better. Although the chrome ones won't ever chip.

As far as I can see there is no difference between the original Lexus headlights and the aftermarket ones (at least the TYC brand ones). I usually hate aftermarket stuff, but these TYC headlights are good quality. They came with all the Sylvania bulbs just like the original light had. All the bulbs are same as stock (foglight, parking light, blinker, high beam and low beam). All of this info is regarding the Halogen headlights, the HID headlights are totally different.

When I installed my headlights it took me 1 hour and 15 minutes and the only tools I used was #2 philips screwdriver, a 10 mm open end wrench and a 10 mm socket on a nutdriver. On a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the most difficult, I'd give it a 2. I'd put it on par with changing a flat tire. You get about as dirty too.

If you look at your new headlight you'll be able to tell where all the screws and nuts go, makes finding the old ones to remove much easier.

I'll attach a picture of a newer headlight with the painted strip removed so you can see what the headlight looks without it.

Any additional questions just ask.

badams
Attached Thumbnails Lexus RX300 Altezza lights-2002-rx300-headlight.jpg  
Old 07-14-03, 01:36 PM
rhack1
Rookie

wow...great info -- thx...besides the usual hit/miss of ebay, where do you get the TYC lights?...i assume with either the lexus oem or the TYC, there is no harness mods, right?...from reading thru other threads, i see that the taillights do require a harness change or retro?...one other question: is Alteeza a brand or an OEM supplier to lexus for headlights/taillights?...i see this name a lot, and didn't know if they are a speciality manufacturer or not...the taillights seem to require more mods for a 1999?...yes/no?...

another quick question: my roof rack seems to be fairly nosey with both the roof closed and open...i set the bars at 115mm from the front and 32mm from the rear based on a service bulleting i read...did you experience wind noise on your wife's 1999?...can you tell me the measurements of your car's mounts if you feel the noise is not a problem...it's easier than playing back/forth...thx...Rob
Old 07-14-03, 02:16 PM
badams
Pole Position

I did get my TYC headlights from ebay and paid $300.00 for both plus shipping. I did contact other places that sold lights and got the lowest quote from www.autolights.tv, which was still expensive at $232.88 + shipping. I spoke with Rex and his number is 1-800-720-6555.

I'd just watch ebay and try to get lucky. I've seen a set of TYC lights go for a s low as $150.00.

There is no extra harness or anything to worry about, the wire(s) that attaches to your current bulb will pop off and then pop onto the new light. Some are really short so be careful not to put too much strain on the wires when removing them.

The Lexus IS300 is called the "Altezza" (Toyota) in Japan. It was the first (or one of the first) to have the chrome with red lens style tail lights so people just started calling them Altezzas. I think there are companies pushing the name Altezza though. Now you can find "Altezzas" on everything from Hummers to VW Bugs.

If you buy the newer aftermarket tail lights from www.procarparts.com (currently only available in black housings) they come with a wire harness, if you get a hold of actual Lexus 2001-2002 tail lights like I did then you can use the rubber grommet method which works great even if it sounds "hokey".

I'll have to check the wife's roof rack when I get home. I do know it is very far forward and very far back, but I have moved it a few times and never had any issues with noise. I'll measure and/or take some pics tonight.

If I haven't answered all your questions let me know?

badams
Old 07-14-03, 08:42 PM
Nickv
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Badams,
Glad that you are healing up after your accident. Do take care and don't be too quick to sign off with the insurance company regarding your injuries. Even the small accident can leave a person with long-term neck problems. I know....or should I say, my wife knows...

Thanks for posting the info re the lights....again... Your last two posts have been really informative and helpful. I am still looking for the lights myself. However, I have gotten diverted from my Lexus to fixing up my wife's old Honda Civic: paint, lights, new chrome trim, etc.... Frankly, I am having a ball with the car stuff; though right this minute I am suffering from the worst sunburn I have had in 15 years. I spent from 10 am to 3 pm today--working on her car....in the sun.
NickV

2000 RX300: Mods: rear bumper protector, just getting started!
Old 07-14-03, 09:23 PM
badams
Pole Position

Here is a picture of where my RX300 front roof rack is mounted...

badams
Attached Thumbnails Lexus RX300 Altezza lights-rx300-roof-rack-front.jpg  
Old 07-14-03, 09:26 PM
badams
Pole Position

Here is a picture of where the RX300 roof rack in mounted in the back...

I haven't had any noise from our roof rack at all, quiet as a church mouse!

badams
Attached Thumbnails Lexus RX300 Altezza lights-rx300-roof-rack-back.jpg  
Old 07-14-03, 09:46 PM
badams
Pole Position

Since I'm already posting pictures. Here is the back of the RX300 headlight showing where the nuts and screws are located. They mount the same regardless of the year.

badams
Attached Thumbnails Lexus RX300 Altezza lights-rx300-headlight-for-clublexus-post2.jpg  
Old 07-15-03, 04:21 AM
rhack1
Rookie

badams -- thx...I appreciate the photos...do you get any wind buffeting when the sunroof is open at high speed?...any chance you can measure the distance from each rack support to the vertical line on each roof rail...thx again...i really appreciate your help and knowledge...Rob
Old 07-15-03, 06:47 AM
badams
Pole Position

Sometimes we get the wind buffeting noise, depends on what windows are open on the doors. Usually only get the wind buffeting noise if only the driver or passenger window is down slightly. I haven't noticed the wind noise often enough to note which windows are down how far. I definitely wouldn't say it was a nuisance, if we do get a some noise we just raise or lower the windows a tad and it goes away.

As far as the roof rack I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you want me to measure the distance from each rack support to the vertical line on each roof rail? Do you want to know the difference between the two rails? It is early, I just got up 20 minutes ago, maybe this will make more sense once I get to work a re-read it again.

badams
Old 07-15-03, 12:13 PM
rhack1
Rookie

i definitely understand the early morning alertness!...re: wind buffeting: I was wondering if the noise is loud when the sunroof is open and the windows are up...on the measurement: if you look at the pix you sent me, there is a vertical "line" that is part of the rook rack rail...the roof rack support's leading edge is only 80-100mm (my guess from this line)...same is true for the back support and the back rack rail...check out the pix and i think you'll see what i mean...if not, i'll try to be more specific...thx...Rob
Old 07-15-03, 04:28 PM
badams
Pole Position

There is a newer RX300 headlight (only one) on eBay for BUY IT NOW at $89.99 (item # 2423689113), this is a pretty decent price! There is only one though (passenger's side), but having one is better than none. If you bought it and then found a deal on two you could always resell this one. That's what I did. I had bought one originally because it was cheap then found a great deal on two, then sold the first one I bought at a profit.

There is also a driver's sdie (seperate auction item # 2423310621) starting bid is $75, no bids yet.

I hope I'm not breaking the rules by posting the ebay item numbers, I think the rule is no hyperlinks, right?

I'll measure the roof rack line tonight, but it should be the same for all year models.

badams
Old 07-15-03, 09:59 PM
badams
Pole Position

47½ inches from vertical line to vertical line on the roof rack front to back or vice versa.

Since I'm already posting, I have to show you all this Honda CRV that is driven by a guy who works near me. This thing is ridiculous...here is a pic of the back...complete with aluminum wing!

badams
Attached Thumbnails Lexus RX300 Altezza lights-7-15-2003-ghetto-crv-003-small.jpg  
Old 07-15-03, 10:01 PM
badams
Pole Position

Here it is from the side, although it looks much worse in person!

badams
Attached Thumbnails Lexus RX300 Altezza lights-7-15-2003-ghetto-crv-002-small.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus RX300 Altezza lights