RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Questions abot Transmission - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-17, 03:00 AM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Questions abot Transmission - Please Help

Hi guys,

I read the DIY transmission post, and I looked around and searched the forum for threads on the RX300 transmission. I plan on changing the tranny fluid myself. After going through lots of threads and researching outside of ClubLexus, I left rather confused.

I have a few questions I would like to ask:

1.) When changing tranny fluid, can I just do drain and fill without changing the filter (like never, or maybe change it at 500k miles)? Or rather, how many every miles do I need to change the filter? Will I have issues later on if I never change it (sorry for the stupid question)?

2.) Can I clean the catch pan with brake cleaner? Is cleaning it recommended?

3.) Saw some posts about the tranny fluid. Which do I use, the OEM type IV or aftermarket compatible (Ultimate goal is to keep tranny well protected, not to go longer between changes. That is just a bonus, but it's not a priority in my book)?

4.) At how many miles do I change the tranny fluid? I read some posts say 15k-20k miles, some posts say 30k miles. Truth or myth: Changing the tranny fluid too often can cause tranny issues specifically for the RX300 (does not apply to other cars because the RX300 is running on a tranny from a Camry)?

5.) Is pumping the extra old tranny fluid out from the hose by starting the car required? I saw a YouTube vid that did not show that step. I'm scared to do this step because the tranny might run without the fluid.

6.) What filter material does my car use, paper or metal screen? So confused on this part. Correct me if I asked this question wrong?

7.) Do I change the tranny fluid when the car is warmed up to operating temperature or just barely warmed up from 3 minutes of idling? Can I change it when the engine is cold?

Some background info about my car:
2002 Lexus RX300 FWD. Do not have service records of the car, but I believe the car had its tranny fluid changed from the previous owner. Car is less than 5,000 miles away from 200,000 miles. I think the transmission is original. The tranny fluid looks new, bright pink color.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-17, 04:01 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

1) I would think it eventually will clog. Hard to say when that is. I did mine at 90k and opened up the OE filter for a look. There was very little junk inside. I could have left it alone for a lot longer.

2) Brake cleaner is a common practice. I just wiped it down good with paper towels and everything just wiped off fine.

3) OE is all I will use on this car. I'm sure there are better aftermarket versions out there, but clean OE does a pretty good job if your not working it hard.

4) Totally my opinion, but I say at least once every 10k. It's too easy and too cheap to not keep it clean. Do drain and fills until it looks almost new, then do it every couple of oil changes. IMO
Never heard a myth about changing it too frequent on any car?? Changing it on a high mileage car that is full of really dirty fluid is a flip of a coin.

5) Not required at all. I personally don't like to starve the tranny, but several people that I respect say it's fine. Drain and fill dilutes more, but once it's clean that's fine with me.

6) OE could be a screen or felt. My 2001 had felt. It really doesn't matter because they are all paper/felt now (even OE). My guess is that felt filters better, but needs replaced more often.

7) I like to change it hot so it gets the sludge loosened up. You can change it cold, but it will come out slower and not dissolve the sludge as much.

Last edited by carguy07; 08-14-17 at 04:07 AM.
Old 08-14-17, 06:56 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

If the fluid is nice cherry red and you have 200k miles, it has been replaced.

Idling/running the engine hardly warms up the transmission. You need to drive it. I would drive 15 mins or so.

I can only suggest what I have been doing:
Monthly (~1k miles) examined the dipstick (smell and visual)
Every 2 yrs drain and fill till roughly 100K miles
Drop the panned clean. Examine filter ... mine was a screen. If it had been an element, replace.
Then drain and fill every year (~15k miles)

I am not a proponent of flush. I have stayed with OEM fluid.

Personally, I can say with any surety that my trouble free transmission has been related to the maintenance, I have done. So do what makes you feel comfortable. I do wish many more miles for you, but dont forget that the vehicle came with 60k miles of warranty (the milage the manufacturer assured you for trouble free service). 100K was the gold standard back in 1999 for auto trans.

Salim
Old 08-15-17, 05:09 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Im a big proponent of flushing the transmission by pumping out the old fluid via the cooler lines. If your fluid is contaminated with clutch material, diluting the old fluid by 20% with new is not going to change the fact that your fluid is contaminated. I do it anywhere from 80,000-100,000 miles. I do not do drain and fills. But I also use a magnefine filter in the cooler line to scrub the fluid of contaminants large enough to damage the tranny. And add a quality cooler to keep the fluid below 180*F.

when it comes dropping the pan, why bother. The filter in any form is nothing more than a screen, either metal or synthetic. It only stops large matter from circulating thru the unit. The risk of not installing the new filter correctly and starving the trans of fluid is greater than just leaving the old filter in place.

i have shown pics of the metal micro matter on the magnefine's filter magnet, and its best to keep that from circulating in the fluid.

Last edited by Drcoffee; 08-15-17 at 05:50 AM.