RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Is friend ripping me off on knock sensor replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-17, 02:16 PM
Hellojenna
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is friend ripping me off on knock sensor replacement?

Hello, first post here but I am excited to learn more about my old lexus while I am here. (2000 RX 300)

My check engine light has been on for a while but it had been running fine until recently. Just recently it started not shifting into 4th gear and with a little research it seems it's in "limp mode" and that knock sensors were commonly the culprit. So I went to AutoZone to have the codes read and they came up with these:
P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)
P0330 Knock Sensor 2 Circuit (Bank 2)
P1130 A/F Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P1130 A/F Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1) -- not sure why this is on there twice?
P0441 Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow

My friends boyfriend is a tech at a Toyota dealership and I asked her what he would charge to replace the knock sensor and maf sensor and she told me he wants $600 for parts and labor. Now I am not exactly sure what that entails (which parts and exactly what he's doing), but I am wondering in general if this sounds fair to people here who have either done it themselves or had it done at a shop. Upon a bit of research it seems when you replace the knock sensors there are other things that should be or need to be replaced as you are digging into the engine, can anyone here give me a list of everything that should be replaced?

Thanks for any help as I am a little desperate to get this done ASAP since my commute to work is mostly freeway and it not shifting into top gear and revving at 4k rpm at 60mph is concerning.

Jenny
Old 07-30-17, 04:44 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Please do a search on knock sensor and you will find quite a few threads ...

In my humble opinion the charge quoted is reasonable.

Salim
Old 07-30-17, 05:40 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Is your friend's boyfriend changing both the A/F sensor and the knock sensors? If so, that is a great deal assuming he does it properly and is using OEM parts. Ask him what parts he is planning to use for the repair, OEM or aftermarket. Denso are ok. I wouldn't use non-denso aftermarket for the A/F sensor or knock sensors.

A bad A/F sensor can cause other issues and codes to pop up.

I recommend that you have him just replace the A/F sensor and see if that fixes all the codes. That should be much less expensive. If the P0330 code returns, then have him do the knock sensor. The two repairs are independent of each other, no time difference doing them both together or separate. You should also have him replace both knock sensors, as doing both is as easy as doing one. Others on this board also recommend to replace the wire harness that connects to the knock sensors as well as the coolant hose that runs next to them.
Old 07-30-17, 06:06 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmus
Is your friend's boyfriend changing both the A/F sensor and the knock sensors? If so, that is a great deal assuming he does it properly and is using OEM parts. Ask him what parts he is planning to use for the repair, OEM or aftermarket. Denso are ok. I wouldn't use non-denso aftermarket for the A/F sensor or knock sensors.

A bad A/F sensor can cause other issues and codes to pop up.

I recommend that you have him just replace the A/F sensor and see if that fixes all the codes. That should be much less expensive. If the P0330 code returns, then have him do the knock sensor. The two repairs are independent of each other, no time difference doing them both together or separate. You should also have him replace both knock sensors, as doing both is as easy as doing one. Others on this board also recommend to replace the wire harness that connects to the knock sensors as well as the coolant hose that runs next to them.

Good advice.
Old 07-30-17, 08:20 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Also, buy a cheap OBDII code reader. No reason to have to keep running down to the auto parts store to get a CEL code read. Plus you can clear them yourself. There are bluetooth/wifi ones and ones with cable attach. I have both and they are spread among all my vehicles. Look them up on Amazon. No need to spend more than $20 on either version, though the bluetooth ones are usually cheaper. With the wireless ones you need to get a app on your phone to read it. "Torque" is the best app for android. Not sure what is best app for iphone.
Old 08-03-17, 07:51 PM
trbolvr
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I would have him do the knock sensors first. You won't get overdrive back until they are fixed.
Old 08-03-17, 08:58 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by trbolvr
I would have him do the knock sensors first. You won't get overdrive back until they are fixed.
Air Fuel sensor will lock it out too.