RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 transmission repair in SF Bay area

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-17, 09:49 PM
Dyslexi
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RX300 transmission repair in SF Bay area

For those folks in the San Francisco Bay area, do you know of a good and reputable transmission repair shop where can have my RX300 transmission fixed ? preferably near east bay or San Jose area?
I'd prefer to go to a shop who can rebuild or use remanufactured transmission instead of replacing using a used transmission.

Also, how much would I expect those repair shops would charge for transmission repair or replacement?

Thanks

Last edited by Dyslexi; 06-23-17 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-24-17, 04:16 AM
SVRX300
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

About two years ago I used Century Automotive and Transmissions located at 3033 E El Camino Real #105, Santa Clara, CA 95051.
My 2000 RX300 transmission was replaced with a Toyota re-manufactured one. The owner explained that it is still the first generation transmission, but realizing the failure, Toyota puts in some critical part(s) from the second generation when they rebuild it. I remember the water pump was also replaced and the total cost is around $5000. There is no issue after the repair.

This placed is recommended by an independent mechanic who worked there for eight years and now he works at a gas station in west San Jose where I gave most repair jobs to him.
Old 06-24-17, 10:20 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

check out Jasper Transmissions if there is an installer near you. I have a neighbor that opted to get one of their re-manufactured transmissions for a different application and has had nothing but good things to say. I"m not sure if they have the toyota/lexus transmission but they do have import transmissions in stock..worth a call. FWIW 3y/100k mile warranty.
Old 06-27-17, 10:35 PM
Dyslexi
Rookie

Thanks fastnoypi and SVR300. I'll check out those 2 places. I think I'll just have my RX300 fixed instead of selling for cheap cause I know ive taken good care of it and engine is in top shape. No other issues other than this crappy transmission.
Old 06-28-17, 07:53 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

How many miles?

Salim
Old 06-29-17, 01:31 AM
Dyslexi
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
How many miles?

Salim
165K miles
Old 06-29-17, 05:33 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyslexi
165K miles
With that milage, repair makes more sense to me.

Salim
Old 07-07-17, 07:16 PM
Dyslexi
Rookie

Hey guys, just want to follow up on this, and ask what you think.. I found a place (good reviews) that will repair the tranny for $3200 parts and labor. I got curious and checked CL and there are some older (although relatively high mileage) BMW 3 series or Acura RSX that looks pretty good at around that price range. My questions are:
  • Is it worth repairing and keeping the rx? if I sell as is (not running with broken tranny 165k on engine), how much will it sell for? My 2001 rx has 165k mi. AWD and pretty much have most of the options available when it came out. (premium package)
  • For those folks with older BMW 3 series or Acura RSX (with auto tranny), is it reliable or too much headache? is there a particular year model of BMW 3 series to get and which models years to avoid?
Old 07-08-17, 08:58 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyslexi
Hey guys, just want to follow up on this, and ask what you think.. I found a place (good reviews) that will repair the tranny for $3200 parts and labor. I got curious and checked CL and there are some older (although relatively high mileage) BMW 3 series or Acura RSX that looks pretty good at around that price range. My questions are:
  • Is it worth repairing and keeping the rx? if I sell as is (not running with broken tranny 165k on engine), how much will it sell for? My 2001 rx has 165k mi. AWD and pretty much have most of the options available when it came out. (premium package)
  • For those folks with older BMW 3 series or Acura RSX (with auto tranny), is it reliable or too much headache? is there a particular year model of BMW 3 series to get and which models years to avoid?
Yeah, avoid them all. lol BMW = Broke My Wallet

But in all seriousness, only you can answer whether your RX is worth repairing and keeping. How is the condition of the rest of the car?
Old 07-19-17, 10:32 PM
Dyslexi
Rookie

Originally Posted by hypervish
Yeah, avoid them all. lol BMW = Broke My Wallet

But in all seriousness, only you can answer whether your RX is worth repairing and keeping. How is the condition of the rest of the car?
Lol! BMW Broke My Wallet haha that made me smile. The rest of the car especially the engine is still in very good condition..

Just an update I decided to have the transmission fixed on my rx300. I'm happy I found Redwood City transmission on Yelp, lots of rave reviews from customers. I talked to Ricky and he gave me a decent price to rebuild my transmission. Mine is AWD and other places quoted much higher prices and will put in a used transmission, which of course I don't like cause it will likely break also. They specialize on transmissions only and Ricky mentioned that they do a lot of those U140E transmission used by rx300 and other Toyota cars, he said it is a very common problem.

Now my rx runs really well and transmission shifts like butter and works like new. So to those looking for transmission repair, I highly recommend Ricky from Redwood City Transmissions
Old 07-22-17, 12:30 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Dyslexi,

Thanks for the update. It would be great if you periodically let us know how things turn out.