RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Tire rotation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-16, 03:07 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire rotation?

Hey guys, is there any DIY or info here regarding tire rotation? Is this something I can do myself?

Thanks.
Old 02-26-16, 05:21 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

are you awd or fwd? Do you have unidirectional or directional tires? Also consider including or not including your full size spare in the rotation.
Plenty of info out there at the tire and tire installer sites regarding the topic to advise a rotation pattern that fits your situation.
Definitely something you can DIY with a jack a set of jack stands. Don't forget to torque to spec.
Old 02-26-16, 08:30 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,103 Likes on 992 Posts

With one jack, the task is bit tedious (unless the spare is part of the rotation plan). Having a lift makes the job lot easier.

Check your receipt of your last tire purchase. Lots of places have free rotation.

Salim
Old 02-26-16, 09:00 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by salimshah

Check your receipt of your last tire purchase. Lots of places have free rotation.
Great advice, rotating your tires is not hard but a PITA. Take advantage of free tire rotation if you can.

If you do plan to DIY, its is a good opportunity to inspect your pad wear while at it.
Old 02-26-16, 09:01 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
are you awd or fwd? Do you have unidirectional or directional tires? Also consider including or not including your full size spare in the rotation.
Plenty of info out there at the tire and tire installer sites regarding the topic to advise a rotation pattern that fits your situation.
Definitely something you can DIY with a jack a set of jack stands. Don't forget to torque to spec.
i have fwd and i think non directional tires. tires are pretty old so adding the spare would probably be a bad idea.

i just changed my pads but need to flush brake fluid and clean the tires so it won't be such a waste. i haven't seen any free tire rotation around here. most places charge $20 and everyone here says to stay away from those places. for some reason i thought rotation had something to do with realignment or something and requires some computer or instrument to calibrate the wheels.
Old 02-27-16, 05:09 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by hsmac
i have fwd and i think non directional tires. tires are pretty old so adding the spare would probably be a bad idea.

i just changed my pads but need to flush brake fluid and clean the tires so it won't be such a waste. i haven't seen any free tire rotation around here. most places charge $20 and everyone here says to stay away from those places. for some reason i thought rotation had something to do with realignment or something and requires some computer or instrument to calibrate the wheels.
for front wheel drive non-directional tires you can use the 4 patterns highlighted

if you currently have uneven shoulder wear on your front tires, most likely you need an alignment.

As long as those $20 places actually torque your wheels, you should be fine. Caution with those places that just zip your lug nuts on with an impact wrench. Over tightening can weaken the wheel studs. If you commision someone to rotate your tires, tell them the lug torque spec is 76 ft-lbs.

Last edited by fastnoypi; 02-27-16 at 05:16 AM.
Old 02-27-16, 08:01 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
With one jack, the task is bit tedious (unless the spare is part of the rotation plan). Having a lift makes the job lot easier.

Salim
+1 on this. I know around here we have the discount tire chain which is called america's tire in other parts of the country but its the same company; and they do in fact do free tire rotations as Im sure at least a few other places do. Just call around and check if you feel this is something you cant do yourself. I get mine done for free at discount tire in this area.