RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Instrument Cluster Drive Gear Indicator Light Out

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-03, 03:49 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WT-i, tks - never had this problem on the '99, hopefully Toy fixed it in later years with a 50-year grade bulb!
Old 10-28-03, 02:27 PM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by VVT-i
You will need to remove the 2 philip head screws on the upper part of black plastic cover around the cluster. Then remove the plastic trim around the ignition key cylinder and another plastic trim on the left side ( the seat memory and remote mirror switch are in this trim) and both of these trims just pop out.
After remove the black plastic cover around the cluster, you will need to remove 3 move philip head screws that hold the cluster. Remove the cluster out of its housing and carefully disconnect 3 connectors.
Then place the cluster face down on a towel to protect the clear cover. You will see the 'D' light from the back side. Just count the indicator light start from the bottom until you get to ' D'. Just use a small flat head screw driver and turn counter clockwise to remove the bulb. If you are not sure it's the right bulb you just removes, just shine the flash light behind it . Good luck.
And remember not to turn the key on while the cluster is out, else you get an airbag warning light that won't go away until it is reset.
Old 10-28-03, 03:25 PM
parula
Instructor

BGRX: this is why I take this stuff to the dealer if I can, and can afford it. tks

The 2 screws are obvious, how is the ignition trim removed? these trim pieces always drive me nuts.
Old 10-28-03, 03:38 PM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

Originally posted by parula
BGRX: this is why I take this stuff to the dealer if I can, and can afford it. tks

The 2 screws are obvious, how is the ignition trim removed? these trim pieces always drive me nuts.
The iginition trim has 2 clips that hold it in place. One is to the bottom left of the piece, just below 8 o'clock on the ignition ring. The other clip is to the upper-left of the ignition ring(around 11 o'clock. According the the manual, there are no clips on the right side. FYI, there are 3 clips on the mirror control/seat memory trim piece. One is directly above the mirror controls, another is between the bottom of the mirror control and the security light and the last is to the upper-right of the seat memory buttons.
Old 11-04-03, 05:23 PM
cephraim
Driver

Thanks.
Finally got it replaced!

Eph
Old 11-05-03, 03:54 PM
parula
Instructor

BGREX, great, tks,
hoping I never need it though!
Old 11-06-03, 01:15 AM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

BGREX, great, tks,
hoping I never need it though!
Me too. I have the intensity on my cluster turned down as far as it will go and still be lit. Hopefully the bulb will still be burning in another 5 years.
Old 11-06-03, 03:47 PM
parula
Instructor

I keep mine turned down also, I don't like the overlit instrument area - yea hope it keeps the bulb lit -

geez Lexus put in some higher rated bulbs. If they used a bulb rated for a higher voltage they could get a bulb that'd last ages. Hope they did for the '03! Time will tell.
Old 11-07-03, 09:45 PM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

I keep mine turned down also, I don't like the overlit instrument area - yea hope it keeps the bulb lit -

geez Lexus put in some higher rated bulbs. If they used a bulb rated for a higher voltage they could get a bulb that'd last ages. Hope they did for the '03! Time will tell.
At least it's just one bulb and not the whole cluster like some of the older SC's. Could be worse.
Old 11-27-03, 08:16 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Normally, these lights go out on older or higher mileage cars. "D" goes out first, as that is the gear it is in most often. I have never seen a car/SUV that new, with the light already out. My old 1993 Toyota Camry with 212,000 miles had "D" light out on the instrument panel. Luckily, my 1990 Lexus still has the "D" light working properly. Seems like they would have a recall on them, but I guess they do not consider it a safety issue.

Last edited by Shaffer; 11-27-03 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-28-03, 05:16 AM
parula
Instructor

I played around with the cluster light control, it doesn't seem to affect the drive bulb light or other shift status lights. Hoping Lexus has learned to upgrade this light!
Old 12-02-03, 05:57 PM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My wifes 01 with 97k on it has just gone out. It took 10 minutes and $2.00 to replace. Come on people dont be so critical, its a bulb for gods sake. look at it this way, it is more than likely a U.S company that makes them. Ever see how many Chevy trucks that the drl light is out on one side? It's kinda funny, every other one I see is burned out.
Old 12-02-03, 06:20 PM
jpappas123
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May be I missed something here...but did anyone mention what the bulb type or number it is that needs to be replaced? I had the service dept from local Lexus dealer on the phone yesterday and I asked about it. He told me he couldnt quote me cause some of the panels are more complicated to remove. He also told me he didnt have the bulb in stock. Although he didnt tell me which bulb it was.

Anyone who already did it please let me know.

thanks

J
Old 12-03-03, 04:12 PM
parula
Instructor

toyo, do you have advice how to quickly change the bulb? Several have indicated it is a major job.
Old 12-03-03, 04:22 PM
ederny
Pole Position

That's right. Com'on Toyo, tell us how you get the instrument cluster and 3 pieces of trim out and back in ten minutes...

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Drive Gear Indicator Light Out