RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Another new RX owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-13, 09:10 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by AKBimmer
I'm going to borrow a set of stud extractors, I saw a you tube video of the timing belt change and the mechanic warned the water pump stud ends can snap off, and one of his did, So I'm going to borrow the tool ahead of time just in case.

I also am borrowing a heftier air gun that can remove the crank bolt since mine is a home grade model that likely won't be able to get it off. One of my co workers is a former mechanic and has a garage full of tools from his former life....

My 6 year old son is super exited I asked my wife in ear shot of my son is there anybody you know that can help me, and my son volunteered immediatly lol We'll see how much help he really is lol, The other day he replaced the parking light bulb in my wife's MDX, my fat hand couldn't fit down there to get the bulb back in so he reached down there and locked it back in, he was thrilled he fixed it. My son loves fixing things much like I do, He'll probably be an engineer with the math skill he already has at 6....His favorite tv show is How it's Made...
I and others have built the home-made sst. It helps in breaking the bolts and also assists in torquing the bolt. You need couple of torque wrenches to do this job. I am nuts about doing the job right.

Nice to get young ones to help. It boosts their self confidence. Make sure you ask and encourage "why" and if you dont know do look it up.
Encouraging him to be an engineer is a different question. I love it, so I do it, but I do not encourage others to pursue.

Salim
Old 11-15-13, 09:56 PM
AKBimmer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have several torque wrenches...even an inch pounds one....i have a whole garage full of tools, I've done timimg belts before but on bmws you dont have to remove nearly as much stuff to get to it....
This will be my first sideways motor to work on should be fun.

I got a full loaner balancer puller kit from autozone.

I don't know what a sst is refering too however.

My kids are doomed to a science field of some sort, I am an enviromental scienitist and my wife is a chemist. His interest in how things work and fixing thngs leads me to believe he is alligned with that path, time will tell.
Old 11-16-13, 08:34 AM
AKBimmer
Driver School Candidate

Well last night i got to step 15 in the knock sensor DIY guide. Ill be getting after it again here shortly. I'm trying to figure out exactly what has to come off the fuel rail part and then it'll be time to go after that hudden bolt. I Have a flat 1/4 inch socket driver that seemed to make the other hidden bolts fairly easy to get at so we will see....

Then once it is all apart I'll start working on the timing belt. It is going to ba a long day....
Old 11-17-13, 01:25 AM
AKBimmer
Driver School Candidate

Well I gotthe knock sensors changed, the borrowed torque gun will not remove the bolt. I even wrapped a strap around it used my 1/2 inch breaker bar with a 3 foot cheater on it and pulled with everything I have trying to break that balancer nut. I bent the cheater... I have to admit defeat on this one for this weekend and borrow a bigger torque gun, or talk one of my other mechanic friends to sit at the shop with me so I can use a lift and better tools. I can't believe how tight that is on there. I've never seen a bolt withstand a cheater bar before.....

Anyway at least I got the sensors changed and the plugs changed....