RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RMM Exhaust Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-03, 12:58 PM
inthemix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RMM Exhaust Installation

I just ordered the RMM Exhaust for my 2001 RX 300.

Can anyone who has performed the uninstall of the old exhaust and the install of the RMM exhaust describe the process and tools required (how long, does car have to be put on a lift, any special tools or torque, need more than one person to assist, etc.).

Would also like to know how durable the exhaust has been from an appearance perspective (high polish look still in effect after months/years of use?)

Per previous posts I plant to disconnect my battery cable for an hour and touch the two cables together prior to reconnect in order to reset the ECU.

I assume since this exhaust is sold at select Lexus dealers (per links on the RMM web page), this installation will not affect warranty. Please advise.

Any special tips and techniques would be appreciated.

I have already installed K&N filter.

Looking forward to the sweet sound that many of you have reported.
Old 01-21-03, 07:27 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I didn't mention this to you on my reply in my install thread. You will be using a 14mm socket and as well as a 14mm boxed-end wrench. Both, together, aren't necessarily needed, but if you can get a hold of both they are certainly recommended. A longer handled box-end wrench will give you the torque you need to break the bolt loose.

Last edited by LexRX; 01-21-03 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-21-03, 10:33 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

To take the old muffler off and installing the new one is a piece of cake.. First you'll need to loosen the bolts at the end of the mufflers pipe, it's spring loaded so you'll have to really put some heart into it.. Don't worry about breaking anything because you won't but it'll feel like you will.. Then take it off the hanger.. Then just hang up the RMM and put into place and tighten it up.. Then your done.. As for the RX being jacked up, there's no need to because you can get under with no problems.. Or atleast I did and I'm pretty big.. Also, don't worry about you voiding any warranties, your fine..

Oh, what is the purpose of touching the 2 wires together??

Hope this helps and goodluck and congrats on your purchase.. I think you'll be happy with the nice deep tone coming from your rearend..
Old 01-21-03, 10:35 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Here's a pic of what my RMM Exhaust looked like on my old RX...
Attached Thumbnails RMM Exhaust Installation-rx-back.jpg  
Old 01-22-03, 11:39 AM
inthemix
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

LexRX,
Thanks for the follow-up tip on the socket/wrench

MrSypher,

Thanks for the tips.

I read somewhere in the forum that touching the cables together before reattaching them to the battery will eliminate any residual charge that may potentially prevent the ECU from resetting.

However, I have since determined that the ECU will eventually adjust, it just takes longer if you do not disconnect the battery.

ps:

I think you'll be happy with the nice deep tone coming from your rearend
A nice deep tone came from my rearend last night when I was watching TV with my wife and she wasn't too happy
Old 01-22-03, 01:45 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by inthemix
A nice deep tone came from my rearend last night when I was watching TV with my wife and she wasn't too happy
Old 01-22-03, 02:33 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

LOL

hahah funni guy...