RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

P0330 Knock Sensor, 15 min. Hack Repair...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-16, 11:42 AM
pvc86
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really want to use this trick to get rid of my P0330 code... but is the hack safe? Will it do any damage to my car, or make it unsafe to drive?
Old 09-06-16, 05:36 PM
donner454
10th Gear

Where is the cheapest place to buy the OEM knock sensors and harness?
Old 09-07-16, 05:14 AM
fbrk8r
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by donner454
Where is the cheapest place to buy the OEM knock sensors and harness?
I got mine on ebay.
Old 10-04-16, 05:08 AM
SamFanton
Driver School Candidate

Default Fixed knock off sensor issue on 2000 ES300

Followed Bobster999 instructions and I am able to fix P0330 issue on my 2000 Lexus ES300 with 250K miles on it. Now it runs so smooth without any issues. On my car, both of the wires are clear white, but one has red tape on it. So I have disconnected the one with red tape and piggy backed with clear one. Spend 20 - 30 mins. Thanks for Bob for sharing his knowledge. I
Old 10-08-16, 06:37 AM
angussteel
Driver School Candidate

Default Knock sensor!

I read your post and have the same problem. I replaced both knock sensors and the wiring harness, a job I do not want to tackle again! Code p0325 circuit one could you please tell me the colors of the two wires I need to splice and there location? Really frustrated! Thank you Angus!
Old 10-08-16, 11:14 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by angussteel
I read your post and have the same problem. I replaced both knock sensors and the wiring harness, a job I do not want to tackle again! Code p0325 circuit one could you please tell me the colors of the two wires I need to splice and there location? Really frustrated! Thank you Angus!
Angus, There are pictures in this thread
Old 10-10-16, 12:57 PM
Aristo_Cat
Driver School Candidate

Cancel that, found my info and completed the fix. Worked like a charm and got the car smogged immediately.

If anyone is looking for the gs430 fix its here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...xus-gs430.html

Thank you Bobster for all the info
Old 10-13-16, 12:08 PM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

I see the thread lives on. lol... I have not been on here in a long time. I dont get post or PM notifications from this site. Even though i clicked the instant email notifications on the thread. I wasnt ignoring the PMs. Maybe they go to spam, not sure.
Old 10-18-16, 04:41 PM
Macmasdad
Driver School Candidate

I decided to perform the hack this past Saturday to clear P0325, after I had successfully changed out a bad A/F sensor. Cleared all the tripped codes after returning the loaned A/F socket from Auto Zone(borrowed their OBDII reader), and unfortunately the ECL came back on right when pulling back into the my driveway.

Went the O'Reillys the next day to borrow their OBDII reader and found out the P0325 did not come back on.... but was instead replaced by the P0330 ?!?!? Cleared the codes and the CEL came back on within a mile. aarugh!!!

Continued home and (after re-reading this thread and calming down) I assumed my splice was just bad, so I tore it apart and took extra time making sure the connections were good.

After removing the ECU fuse to clear the codes, and 3 trips of about 10 miles each, there have been with no codes tripped so far.

( Angussteel, I spliced both the clear and black ECU wires into the black knock sensor wire for my 2000 RX, and left the clear knock sensor wire hanging. Opposite to the main pictures in this thread which were to clear P0330. I did not take pictures, as the main pictures in this thread are much more detailed than what I could have provided. Best of luck)
Old 10-24-16, 04:35 AM
ThomasH95
Driver School Candidate

Default 96 es300

I have a 96 ES300 that drives great, shifts great, and the over drive works perfect! But it's throwing up a code for the knock sensor in bank 2 and I have read a lot of this thread and it seems that people's cars are basically dying on them if these sensors go out. I have to smog it soon and I really don't want to put the money and time into fixing this if I don't have to. I'm sure this hack will work perfectly but if I have to change it I will. But is there anything else that could be throwing this code if the car is running fine? Please help me
Old 10-25-16, 04:14 AM
Zapatero
Driver School Candidate

Default WOW - like night and day!

Was ready to dump my 99 RX 300 and take a loss due to the discouraging and uncertain results (not to mention the $$$ involved)
Did the hack but spent a US Grant and let an honest electrical guy handle it - you have to make sure you do it right and I didnt want to take the chance.
Worked like a charm - shifts smoothly more power better response and acceleration plus a little better gas mileage.

A WELL SPENT $50!!

All hail the BOBSTER!
Old 10-25-16, 11:14 PM
Aristo_Cat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThomasH95
I have a 96 ES300 that drives great, shifts great, and the over drive works perfect! But it's throwing up a code for the knock sensor in bank 2 and I have read a lot of this thread and it seems that people's cars are basically dying on them if these sensors go out. I have to smog it soon and I really don't want to put the money and time into fixing this if I don't have to. I'm sure this hack will work perfectly but if I have to change it I will. But is there anything else that could be throwing this code if the car is running fine? Please help me
i believe most people are assuming the sensor itself is bad and not something is actually wrong and trying to tell them. Especially if your car is running fine. You could just do the hack and then after you pass take it to get looked at or just keep an eye on things yourself
Old 10-26-16, 03:36 AM
Zapatero
Driver School Candidate

Default Do it right the first time - use a pro

Im good with my hands but didnt want to chance doing this wrong so I explained this to an electrical guy I trusted. He had done something similar on a Nissan he owned.
He took the time to bring up the wiring diagram on his laptop TO BE SURE WHICH WIRES TO PLAY WITH and it was 20 minutes start to finish
DONT BE CHEAP IF YOU'RE UNSURE OF WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

The Bobster has given us all a great gift - pay it forward and do it the right way if you have any doubts at all!
Old 10-26-16, 01:19 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts
Default Important Reminder

Before readers get carried away,

The work around described here is for test/evaluation/debug purposes.

Most state/county/city emission laws prohibit tampering with emission sensors/wiring.

Please do not break any laws. Get the proper fix and do not cheat other folks by selling/driving an illegally modified vehicle.

Salim
Old 10-26-16, 07:35 PM
Gitano
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 330 in addition to a 171 I followed the recipe and in addition I took a continuity reading of the black wire and got a reading then I tried the clear wire and had no continuity. I had an old meter so I did not take read In for resistance I'm just curious to see what level it has while the motor is running I will go back as soon as I get a good meter. The cell came back on after twenty miles I figure the 171 did trigger it but my mpg meter is up to 28.5 from a steady 19.? Up and down

Quick Reply: P0330 Knock Sensor, 15 min. Hack Repair...