RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Do you think my Lexus dealer charged for work not done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-12, 04:00 AM
Stemmer
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do you think my Lexus dealer charged for work not done?

I'm trying to decide whether I will need to replace my timing belt - again. I posted about my timing belt breaking previously at what should have been 76k miles. My engine failed at 86k and as I bought it CPO, the Lexus dealer installed a new engine under warranty. They also charged Lexus for a new timing belt so I planned on at least 90k from that point, but it broke at 76k which was at a total of 162k on my RX - I replaced the water pump as well. No doubt it broke and no doubt nothing else caused it to break as that was the only problem. From what I'm reading, including prior club lexus comments such an occurrence is almost unheard of and it seems 150k from these belts are likely. When I got the new belt installed it is a thick sturdy belt. For these reasons my suspicion is the dealer added to their warranty repair reimbursement rate by charging for replacement/installation of a timing belt without doing it. But of course there is no way to know.

The relevance is my plan is to keep my RX 20-years and 300k if I make it as I'm doing 15k per year. It's in great shape - especially as CPO covered a new drive train since I got a reman tranny at 90k too. I'm now at 14 1/2 years and 218k. At 230k I will be due for a coolant replacement and at that mileage I will be midway between the last timing belt replacement and retirement of the car. If the belt did indeed break at 76k, and one more replacement would be needed anyway, I'm considering a timing belt and water pump at that interval figuring if I have to do the belt and coolant, the pump is only a few dollars more. The other option is to save the $700 or so and try to get 138k out of the belt. It sounds like it should last that long and if the dealer did scam me, the original belt went 162k. I would love to save the $700 and hassle of getting this done. But on the other hand it was scary when the belt broke, the car dies and cannot be steered. I was lucky to be on an exit ramp without any other traffic. I think the decision really comes down to whether I believe the Lexus dealer lied at 86k.

Whatcha all think? Can I cheap out and shoot for 138k? At least I think some interesting fodder for speculation. As an aside that same Lexus dealer would do nothing about the belt they supposedly installed lasting only 76k and wanted to charge me $1,700 for a belt and water pump. I had it towed again, to an indy, and bought the parts myself. But I don't have too much of a problem with this dealer as they did give me the engine, tranny and replacement vehicle gratis.
Old 11-21-12, 07:57 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I would still suggest 90k miles for t-belt and inspection of other things in the t-belt drive train. If you have been reading the other thread, I would say 135k is pushing it beyond my comfort. You have been burnt and I can understand you wanting others to reassure you. But expect a varied response. You can potentially extend the risk at the tail end and see if the belt stays with you for 150k.

As far as dealer lying ... you can come up with all sorts of scenarios. I trust my dealer, but there can be a few customers who do not trust the same dealership. At the end, you have to see if they live up to their promise to fix anything that broke as a consequence of their work.

[IMHO what you describe is history, so the only thing in your control is to go back to the same dealer OR switch. In some cities you have no choice other than going to an independent. The issue of trust will be there too. With high milage, one should seriously consider an independent shop.]

Salim