RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

VVT Solenoid (OCV) Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-18, 09:14 PM
Mrv8q
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

MEGH79, what an ordeal! I’ve had my ES300 14+ years; in my guesstimation, your problems feel like MAF and OCV problems. I will say the OCV feels like, to me, a failing transmission. I was shocked the OCV completely fixed the drivability problem.

That being said, I have found the CEL codes thrown exactly track what is wrong with the car. Between OCVs, fuel evap errors, coil,pack problems, the CEL code has completely and reliably diagnosed the underlying problems. I have yet to replace a part that didn’t cure the underlying problem, as triggered by the CEL code.

Good luck!
Old 01-15-18, 07:21 AM
dugoram
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mrv8q
MEGH79, what an ordeal! I’ve had my ES300 14+ years; in my guesstimation, your problems feel like MAF and OCV problems. I will say the OCV feels like, to me, a failing transmission. I was shocked the OCV completely fixed the drivability problem.

That being said, I have found the CEL codes thrown exactly track what is wrong with the car. Between OCVs, fuel evap errors, coil,pack problems, the CEL code has completely and reliably diagnosed the underlying problems. I have yet to replace a part that didn’t cure the underlying problem, as triggered by the CEL code.

Good luck!
My feelings and experience exactly Mrv8q! I was told my transmission was gone and quoted $3200 before tax for a rebuilt tranny from Lexus (none available to rebuild due to high demand). I changed the transmission fluid (drain only) and replaced the filter. Then new OCV's for about $30 each and she is running smooth again. Still a little worried about the transmission with all of the posts regarding the problems. 150,000 on it as of yesterday...2001 RX300. Only problems now are the torn leather seats, the door lock motors and the ever present p0441, p0440 and p0446 codes.....
Old 01-21-18, 08:47 PM
murphysf
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

My front bank LH OCV failed a few weeks ago, was out of town in the mountains so had it towed to the nearest dealer and they replaced the part.

I ordered one for the rear RH bank and just installed it.

When I removed the small 10mm head bolt that holds it in the bolt fell out of the socket and I can't find it.

Any chance anyone knows the part number for this bolt. There is a toyota dealer just down the street and then won't lookup or sell Lexus parts but if I give them a part number they will sell me one.

Thanks
Old 01-21-18, 09:04 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

I tend to use Lexus of South Atlanta to find part numbers using their part diagrams.
https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...car-parts.html

I also use Lexuspartsnow.com to confirm they fit my VIN.
The following users liked this post:
murphysf (01-21-18)
Old 01-21-18, 09:31 PM
murphysf
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lexmus
I tend to use Lexus of South Atlanta to find part numbers using their part diagrams.
https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...car-parts.html

I also use Lexuspartsnow.com to confirm they fit my VIN.
Thanks!!

I found it, the part number is:

91631-60612 which I believe has been replaced by 90080-11255.
Old 01-23-18, 04:02 PM
av8rga
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2001 RX300 199,891 miles. Owned since 50,000 miles. Regularly serviced and maintained by a Toyota dealer and DIY (me). About a week ago, my wife said the car was "acting up when it was slow". So I started digging in..

Symptoms:
Intermittent rough idle, and exhaust output with the muffler shaking
CEL, VSC, TRAC dash lights on solid. Sometimes the CEL would flash.
Throttle stall and surge on acceleration usually around 1,500 RPM
Off throttle jerking
Audible cylinder knock (pinging) in the cabin under hard load

Codes:
P0300 Random Misfire Detected
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire
P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire
P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire
P1349 Variable Valve Timing System (Bank 1)

Four days ago I checked the VVT solenoid filters and they were both surprisingly clean. Ordered two Dorman solenoids via Amazon Prime I installed them yesterday. Car is running well, all lights are off. One thing I noticed - when I first started the car and test drove, it was still knocking a little bit under hard acceleration. It has since cleared up my guess being the computer has learned the new settings for VVT bank 1 and 2. Fresh Mobile1 5W-30 and she's good for another 10,000!

I'd like to thank all contributors and moderators of ClubLexus. I have saved thousands of dollars using the resources available on here to troubleshoot and fix problems. I'll follow up on these symptoms in 6 months.
Tim
Attached Thumbnails VVT Solenoid (OCV) Replacement DIY-img_2773.jpg   VVT Solenoid (OCV) Replacement DIY-img_2775.jpg   VVT Solenoid (OCV) Replacement DIY-img_2771.jpg  

Last edited by av8rga; 01-23-18 at 04:09 PM.
murphysf (01-25-18)
Old 02-04-18, 09:58 PM
danno52
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't seem to find the torque specs mentioned for the OCV? I must have overlooked it..

I did notice the 14mm OCV filter bolt is 33lbs/ft.

Old 02-28-18, 09:24 AM
LarryJ63
Driver School Candidate

IS THE FRONT VVT Solenoid (OCV) ON YOUR 2 PICTURES ABOVE BANK 2 OR BANK 1 ?
MY 99 LEXUS RX300 IS THROWING A P1354 BANK 2 TRYING TO FIND CORRECT VVT Solenoid (OCV)

Avogel (12-24-18)
Old 02-28-18, 09:49 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

No need to be upset.

The sticky threads go over naming of banks ... a must read for any RX first gen owner.

Bank one is next to the firewall, and bank 2 is near the radiator.

Salim
LarryJ63 (02-28-18)
Old 02-28-18, 10:39 AM
LarryJ63
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
No need to be upset.

The sticky threads go over naming of banks ... a must read for any RX first gen owner.

Bank one is next to the firewall, and bank 2 is near the radiator.

Salim
so TO CLARIFY Bank 2 in the picture is considered THE FRONT near the radiator ?
it gets confusing btw i was not upset just dumb about leaving my Caps on lol I was not upset just forget my darn CAPS are on sometimes
thank you so much for your help
larry
Old 02-28-18, 10:50 AM
LarryJ63
Driver School Candidate

Default I'm confused on where BANK 2 is FRONT or BACK in the picture ?

Originally Posted by BearsLexus
Step 1 - Remove Engine Cover and Move Hoses to make room for work.

You'll need to remove the Engine Cover using a 4mm Allen key or socket. There are 3 Allen screws at the front edge of the cover. Remove those and give a light tug on it and it should pop right off.

There are a few hoses which you should loosen up and move out of the way in order to make your work easier so you can see what you're doing and get your hands in where they need to go.
in the PICTURE ABOVE is the FRONT BANK , BANK 2 or BANK 1 ? I'm confused
Thank you
larry
Old 02-28-18, 01:01 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by LarryJ63
so TO CLARIFY Bank 2 in the picture is considered THE FRONT near the radiator ?
it gets confusing btw i was not upset just dumb about leaving my Caps on lol I was not upset just forget my darn CAPS are on sometimes
thank you so much for your help
larry
Yes!

Salim
Old 03-11-18, 07:46 AM
av8rga
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Lexus runs like new!

Originally Posted by av8rga
2001 RX300 199,891 miles. Owned since 50,000 miles. Regularly serviced and maintained by a Toyota dealer and DIY (me). About a week ago, my wife said the car was "acting up when it was slow". So I started digging in..

Symptoms:
Intermittent rough idle, and exhaust output with the muffler shaking
CEL, VSC, TRAC dash lights on solid. Sometimes the CEL would flash.
Throttle stall and surge on acceleration usually around 1,500 RPM
Off throttle jerking
Audible cylinder knock (pinging) in the cabin under hard load

Codes:
P0300 Random Misfire Detected
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire
P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire
P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire
P1349 Variable Valve Timing System (Bank 1)

Four days ago I checked the VVT solenoid filters and they were both surprisingly clean. Ordered two Dorman solenoids via Amazon Prime I installed them yesterday. Car is running well, all lights are off. One thing I noticed - when I first started the car and test drove, it was still knocking a little bit under hard acceleration. It has since cleared up my guess being the computer has learned the new settings for VVT bank 1 and 2. Fresh Mobile1 5W-30 and she's good for another 10,000!

I'd like to thank all contributors and moderators of ClubLexus. I have saved thousands of dollars using the resources available on here to troubleshoot and fix problems. I'll follow up on these symptoms in 6 months.
Tim
I am happy to report that my Lexus is running great after changing both VVT valves. It starts better, idles more smooth, accelerates faster, shifts better, and the mpg has gone up by 2. I had never seen or read about these valves, but after a little research and seeing their job, they are a very important piece of how the engine is electronically managed.

I’d also like to point out that I chased knock sensor codes on this car for several years (P0330 and P0325). I changed the knock sensors with new OEM and still had the codes. Looking back, the codes may have been a true indicator of timing related engine knock and an indication that the VVT valves were starting to fail. If you are chasing knock sensor problems, I’d suggest to change the VVT valves first.

Tim

Last edited by av8rga; 03-11-18 at 07:55 AM.
Avogel (12-24-18)
Old 03-11-18, 08:31 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by av8rga

I am happy to report that my Lexus is running great after changing both VVT valves. It starts better, idles more smooth, accelerates faster, shifts better, and the mpg has gone up by 2. I had never seen or read about these valves, but after a little research and seeing their job, they are a very important piece of how the engine is electronically managed.

I’d also like to point out that I chased knock sensor codes on this car for several years (P0330 and P0325). I changed the knock sensors with new OEM and still had the codes. Looking back, the codes may have been a true indicator of timing related engine knock and an indication that the VVT valves were starting to fail. If you are chasing knock sensor problems, I’d suggest to change the VVT valves first.

Tim
In a closed loop system, it is very important to figure out what is the source of the problem. If the engine is knocking then the knock sensors just report possibly out of range signal. While a malfunctioning knock sensor will report knocking when there is no engine knock. Diagnosing properly is a skill and needs instruments and experience. Generally many mechanics keep throwing parts till the problem is solved either by luck or by hitting the jackpot. There is another dimension of cost, where the per hour rate of the mechanic and the cost of instrumentation is so high that throwing parts is more economical solution.

I remember paying a mechanic for finding a problem where the failing part was a pin hole leak in a piping [less than 10c part] but the time he spent searching for it was 6 hrs. middle of a night on a road trip.

Salim
Old 03-22-18, 08:12 PM
murphysf
Pit Crew

I change my two OCV about 3 months ago but I didn't look at the filters.

No I am curious to see what the filters look like. Was thinking if I am going to bother removing the filters should I just get new ones and replace them.

I believe the part number for the filter is 15678-20010 1567820010

If so should I get new orings? Or are they included with the filter?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-OEM-F...lXIP-i&vxp=mtr

I see the oring is listed as a different part 90430-16007 9043016007

Quick Reply: VVT Solenoid (OCV) Replacement DIY