RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Replace Drivers Side Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-02, 08:27 AM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement For Drivers Side Mirror Help

The mirror on the RX broke. Actually the mirror itself is fine. Everything moves and is in working order except the glass. A truck passing by hit the mirror and caused the glass on the mirror to break leaving most of it on with cracks and splits everywhere. It looks pretty bad but I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions about what to do. the dealer is asking a lot of money and they want to replace the whole thing. I'm not sure what other options I have. Could the glass alone be replaced or is there somwhere I can buy a replacment OEM mirror for the drivers side alone for less than the dealer cost? I dont recall the price off the top of my head but what would be a fair price and do any websites have it cheaper? Any help would be aprreciated. Oh and the insurance thing is out of the question. Thanx...

Last edited by jimmit; 11-21-02 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-21-02, 08:54 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

The mirror can be replaced.

Instructions from 99 RX repair manual .. with my words instead of pictures.

Squeeze shop rag/towel between the mirror and the mirror body ... drape it like a scarf ... with ends coming out roughly at 5'oclock and 7'oclock. The joint you are trying to seperate are roughly at 5 & 7 Oclock if you imagine face of a clock on the mirror.

Pull at the two ends in an upward motion. [mirror has retaining claws at the top edge] and it will come out rotating along the top edge.

Pull up the mirror and disconnect the connectors.

Re-assembly is in reverse order.

Disclaimer: I have not replaced the mirror.

To replace the whole assembly the shop will have to tear into the door.

Salim
Old 11-22-02, 10:07 AM
Goncookoo

hummm, well its even easier in a chevy malibu. I helped a friend fix his broken side mirror. we just ripped the car door paneling off with our bare hands and popped the sucker right back!

not that that was any helpful information. i was just comparing a delicate machine like the RX to a Malibu.

hehehe
Old 11-22-02, 10:28 AM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Thanx for he instructions. Thats pretty helpful. I thought I saw pictures of the mirror removable proccess a while ago but maybe that was on the LS forum. Anyways does anyone know where I can buy a mirror for less than dealer cost? OH and you know if it will be painted or unpainted?
Old 11-22-02, 02:36 PM
salimshah

Originally posted by jimmit
Thanx for he instructions. Thats pretty helpful. I thought I saw pictures of the mirror removable proccess a while ago but maybe that was on the LS forum. Anyways does anyone know where I can buy a mirror for less than dealer cost? OH and you know if it will be painted or unpainted?
Oops.. My instructions were to replace the mirror (glass with reflective backing). This should be substantially cheaper than the mirror assembly. I assumed the painted "mirror body" with motorized gizmo is OK.

If the damage is more than the mirror, you have to open the door panel to remove the Mirror Assembly.

Try slavage yards for used. The parts dept @ dealer can give upto 10% off if you ask and they are in good mood.

Another good contact for new Lexus parts is Steve Ganz a fellow CL user.

Salim
Old 11-23-02, 01:35 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Actually everything is in perfect shape. Only the actual mirror is shattered but the motor works fine and moves the mirror and everything. I havent opened the mirror up or anything so I dont know if only the mirror itself can be replaced. I'll try to contact Steve and see what they're charging. Thanx

Last edited by jimmit; 11-24-02 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-24-02, 02:50 AM
salimshah

If thats the case, follow the instructions I posted.

The shop rag goes between the mirror and the housing (shell). Suff it in with a kitchen spatula.

Salim