RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

9-point buck in my RX3...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-02, 12:30 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9-point buck in my RX3...

Well, I've always prided myself on using the RX300 as an actual "utility" vehicle, rather than just for sport or daily driving.

As it so happens the past weekends hunt was successful, and landed my buddy a nice 9-point Wisconsin Whitetail buck. Of course this was the ONE hunt out of a dozen the entire season that I forgot to bring my roof rack for the RX, and my buddy decides it's time to bag this buck... plus we've got all of our hunting gear which includes a weekends worth of warm and waterproof clothing, two bows, arrows, two treestands, and two sets of rather large boots each. All this gear, and guess what? We've gotta fit this buck in my trunk on a tarp besides!

Well, it was a tight fit, but the we got all the gear in the rear seat, pushed the rear seats forward squishing all the gear as much as possible, and threw a big tarp down in the back for the big ol' deer. Believe me this was quite a sight - dead deer loaded into my Lexus! I've got pictures of the whole thing, and as soon as I get them developed, I'll have my girlfriend scan them at work so I can post them here... Those will be the first official pics of my RX here on the forum

One complaint about the RX... I know it's probably not designed to be a deer toting hunting machine, but I've got some serious beef with the trunk lid design. As has been law in Wisconsin for years, I thought you still had to have SOME part of the deer hanging out the back of your car for legal transport of wild game... a hoof, an antler, whatever. So we leave a hoof hanging out the back, and get some rope to tie down the trunk lid... Low and behold there's not a SINGLE spot on that lid to tie the rope to ANYWHERE. Ended up looping the rope all the way around the lid, but this was a serious pain in the **** - and tie down points are a common thing for anybody hauling a new coffee table, furniture, tv, whatever.... Seriously disappointed. Well, we come to find out that the law was changed this year and you don't need to have the deer showing, which would've made my life easier, but that's beside the point.

I can't wait to post pics of this buck in the back of my RX - these are gonna be good.
Old 11-14-02, 06:25 PM
JJ_BPK
Driver School Candidate

Congratulations on the 9 point,,,, from one PiC (politically-in-correct) to another..... Here in the Keys our deer population has doubled in the last 10 years,, but we still don't have a season... Just as well it would take 10 of the little suckers to fill the RX with the seats up... Attached is one of our 'big guys', maybe 70 lbs on the hoof..

I guess I'll just have to content myself with Lobster,,,, Oh, by the way, in the Conch Republic,,,, we don't have to hang any part of the Lobster out the window,,, just keep'm iced,,, with the beer,,, and Pina Colada's..

Hope you have more luck getting your tag filled...

Jimmy
An Old Parrot Head
In the Conch Republic,
Just South of Reality

PS: This guys nose is only about 30" off the ground,, they r short..
Attached Thumbnails 9-point buck in my RX3...-key_deer.jpg  

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 11-14-02 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-14-02, 06:36 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Geez JJ_BPK I can't believe how small they are by you... What species is that?
Old 11-14-02, 06:59 PM
JJ_BPK
Driver School Candidate

It a Key's White Tail, a relative of the southern white tail of lower Georgia and Florida. Nobody realy knows, but my guess is they were stranded here after the last ice age OR the Native Americans seeded the islands for a protein source.

In any case, their diet is base on mangroves, Florida slash-pines, and scrub oak,,, not good. They have had this poor diet so long they have shrunk. There is debate as to whether it is diet or genetic base. I think diet, because the ones that have become semi-domesticated and are fed by the tourists, are larger and have symmetrical racks. Those that stay on the out islands are 20% smaller and the racks are usually only spikes or forks.

They have also developed softer, fatter feet from walking in the shallow salt waters around the islands, on the coral reefs. They also swim very well. I have spotted them swimming between some of the back country islands, at times 2-3 miles from shore.

Anyway,, they have got to be gamie,,,

Now the Giant Green Iguanas,,, they are tasty and we have plenty of them, some as large as 6ft.. but they are more like pets..

Good Hunting..

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 11-14-02 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-14-02, 07:14 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Interesting stuff... REALLY interesting. Thanks for all the info! The evolution you described is AMAZING.

I'd suspect poor diet based on what you told me as well. Free-range species are far more susceptible to health problems because of diet variation; all part of survival of the fitest.

Thanks for the good luck too - I'm gonna need it to fill my tag this season. I've had a few good shots, but I'm choosy. Gun hunting in far northern Wisconsin (Tomahawk) should be a good time though - lotsa drinking, comraderie, and hopefully big bucks!