RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Power Steering Pump??

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-11, 11:55 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump??

I was looking around under the hood and under the RX300 today, making sure everything is in good condition since I'll be leaving to go to Michigan/Chicago on the 29. The weather there will be in the mid-teens, so I want to make sure I have no mechanical problems on the road trip.

While, I was under the RX300 I noticed the power steering pump had some fluid around it. The reservoir was a little above the max line when cold. So, I don't think it's overfilled by too much, just a tad. I wouldn't even call it overfilled. Here's a few pictures, what do you guys think... Should I be worried or is it normal to have this slight coating of oil on it? There are no drops under the RX300, I'm sure of that as I park my RX300 in my garage and it has no oil drops on the floor.
Attached Thumbnails Power Steering Pump??-photo-33.jpg   Power Steering Pump??-photo-44.jpg   Power Steering Pump??-photo-555.jpg  
Old 12-16-11, 03:55 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I would carry a bottle of fluid and keep an eye on the level.

The rate of leak right now does not look excessive, but in future should be looked at .. seems like a seal is no longer in good condition. Repair with a service kit or put in a refurbished or new is a question for future (imho)

Salim
Old 12-16-11, 04:27 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine looks identical to that. I was just wondering the same thing. But now I see i'm not the only one i'm not worried. And I have had no fluid on the ground either. I would carry a small bottle of ATF and leave it at that... Have fun.
Old 12-16-11, 05:56 PM
roostonu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New here and to my RX. I am a mechanic and I would say it's a very minor leak now if no drips. They tend to progress slowly so you should have some time. I put a Toyota rebuild kit in my wife's Tacoma with a similar pump and it was extremely easy.
Old 12-17-11, 05:05 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it!
I'll keep a bottle of Mobil 1 ATF with me, just in case.
Old 12-17-11, 08:28 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roostonu
New here and to my RX. I am a mechanic and I would say it's a very minor leak now if no drips. They tend to progress slowly so you should have some time. I put a Toyota rebuild kit in my wife's Tacoma with a similar pump and it was extremely easy.
I rebuilt my power steering pump in my 99 RX. It was easy and I'm not a mechanic. I got the rebuild kit from toyota also. I took my a couple of hours. I took my time especially because it was my first time, my steering was a lot smoother afterwards. It was so easy turning the wheel I felt like I was in a new lexus!
Old 12-17-11, 08:58 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnLX300
I rebuilt my power steering pump in my 99 RX. It was easy and I'm not a mechanic. I got the rebuild kit from toyota also. I took my a couple of hours. I took my time especially because it was my first time, my steering was a lot smoother afterwards. It was so easy turning the wheel I felt like I was in a new lexus!
What was included in the kit? Thanks.
Old 12-17-11, 10:58 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roostonu
How much time woud you say I have? I need it to be good until January 2nd. After that, I can get it fixed. The road trip will be about 2000 miles.

The steering wheel feel's good, and smooth. It's not hard to turn the wheel.
Old 12-17-11, 12:53 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
How much time woud you say I have? I need it to be good until January 2nd. After that, I can get it fixed. The road trip will be about 2000 miles.

The steering wheel feel's good, and smooth. It's not hard to turn the wheel.
I honestly wouldn't worry about it. If your not seeing anything on the ground then your fine. If it's not broke, don't fix it. haha.
Old 12-19-11, 01:40 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered the gates power steering repair kit from rock auto.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...146458-2183494

Same parts as in the edelmann picture of the kit on the following link.
Old 12-19-11, 03:50 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnLX300
I ordered the gates power steering repair kit from rock auto.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...146458-2183494

Same parts as in the edelmann picture of the kit on the following link.
Thanks John. Is that a seal that gets pressed onto the shaft? What type of puller did you use to remove/replace the drive pulley?
Old 12-20-11, 06:04 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

I've managed to free up some time tomorrow, so I'll take the RX300 down to my uncle's shop and get it up onto the rack and take a look at where the leak is coming from. I might replace the pump with an OEM part, or rebuild it (time permitting).

I decided I'd rather get it repaired now, and not take the risk of being stuck on the side of the road in frigid single digit weather in possibly what might be a blizzard. LOL I'd have to get it repaired eventually anyways, so might as well do it now.

This will be the FIRST unexpected repair in the 75,000 miles I've put on it since I purchased it almost 5 years ago. Not bad!
Old 12-22-11, 03:45 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Just an update for you guys still following the thread.

It's actually not the power steering leaking, I was wrong. LOL
The rear valve cover is leaking. So, I'm going to get the rear valve gasket, front valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket replaced. I'm also getting the Throttle Body and IACV cleaned for free since they have to remove it anyways.

I wish I hadn't already gotten the spark plugs done over the summer and paid all of that labor. Oh, well...
Old 12-22-11, 04:25 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I think I would have rather done the power steering pump than the rear valve cover.

At least you can get the IAC valve and throttle body cleaned up good while it's apart.
Old 12-22-11, 09:16 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Here us an after thought ...

Mark the PS pump fluid level. Keep an eye and if it drops, you have leak

Oh well, maybe it will help some one else.

Salim

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump??