RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Just got Cross Terrain tires. They are fantastic tires! Thanks to everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-02, 12:48 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my tires were definitly 255/65/16. on the stock rims. but they werent the scorpions zero. im not sure what they were called. they mught have been the scorpion S/T. they had a gnarly looking grip. more like a mudder/winter tire. im 100% sure the 255 fit on the stock rim with no rubbing of the strut mounts.
Old 11-05-02, 04:19 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Sprinkles,
All I can say is WOW! I was wondering if you could do that... That would mean that the tire has a larger 255 footprint and a shorter sidewall height at 65, correct?
How were the handling characteristics with that setup?
What type of conditions did you drive in?
Any strut rubbing?
I'm really curious about all the details...
Old 11-05-02, 06:30 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I'm curious how the 255's rode too. I didn't know you could fit them on the stock rims.
Old 11-05-02, 07:29 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

hey guys, dont quote me on the 65 side wall. im pretty sure thats what it was. the footprint was sooo nice though. mad wide. and the rubber looked like it bubbled out from the side of the rim. its looked hot. there was absolutly no rubbing anywhere. (turning or strut mount or under full compresion from suspension) the only thing i didnt like about them, (maybe it was my driving) is they wore out very easily. the front tire treads towards the outside wore very quickly i guess from taking fast curves. road noise wasnt increased much. oh and the grip, wow holy *****. snow forget about it. i was able to go anywhere now with the big tires. i never realy lost traction at any time except if i tried to gass it to the floor in snow. also rain driving was supurb. i felt so safe with new tires.
on another note, it definitly made my RX stand out even though i didnt have rims. it made it look more manly, def recomend. i cant wait till my new tires wear out so i can get them,. lol
Old 11-05-02, 09:34 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Jimmy, Pirelli's website doesn't have any 255's listed for the Scorpion S/T's in a 16in.

I'm not doubting you, just interested in the tires you had - maybe it wasn't the S/T's.
Old 05-09-03, 10:02 AM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

can u send me their link to the exact page with the S/T's i want to see their tread pattern.
Old 05-30-03, 04:17 PM
RX300SS
Driver School Candidate

Post Tires

Any updates on those cross terrains? How they holding up, any complaints?
Old 06-21-03, 05:06 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How is the noise from the CTs? That looks like a pretty aggressive tread?

Are they quite?
Old 06-21-03, 06:39 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

No different than the stock Bridgestones they replaced.
Old 06-22-03, 06:24 AM
parula
Instructor

I actually - like - the Goodyears as they have a street tread and are really quiet riding and for standard street driving I think they handle fine. I am sure there is a firmer more expensive tire available and I will look for something better once these are worn but I will want a quiet street tread and probably not a multi-terrain tread.
Old 06-22-03, 10:59 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

I can't comment on the Goodyears being that I never had them on my RXs. I did, however, make the dealer replace them with Bridgestones from another RX on the lot before I picked mine up. This was based on the comments by people who did have Goodyears on their RX. These comments were on this board and over at Edmonds over the last couple of years and were just about unanimous.
Old 06-22-03, 11:51 AM
parula
Instructor

Yes, I saw all those posts too, but never had a flat and had over 50k on them with easily another 10-20k to go depending on where winter fell at the end of the life cycle. I run them a bit firm around 38-40psi and they seem fine to me. I even asked for the Goodyears when I swapped the '99 for the '03. I know they are a cheaper tire, I could have replaced 4 for under $200, but until I have problems I'll probably keep them on.

The modified suspension on the '03 compared to my '99 improves handling too imo.
Old 06-23-03, 08:42 AM
hiloboy
Driver School Candidate

Default Cross Terrain tires

I just got a notice that Costco has their $60.00 off sale going, but its only till the end june.
I hope I con get them now after reading all the comments as to how Great they are.
What type of tread life have people been getting with these tires?
Old 07-07-03, 08:46 AM
EnzoRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the Michelin Cross Terrains (225/70/16) on my RX300. I special ordered them at Costco and got up early this past Saturday and waited in line for the Costco Tire Center to open up. Told the tire guy to mount the black sidewall facing outwards. The white lettering had some kinda blue ink or something on it and it looked fugly.

All I can say is that this is one smooth riding tire. I did not notice any substantial increase in road noise or any other intrusive noises coming from the tires inside the cabin. I was thinking there would be more noise being that the tread is a little more truck-like than the stock Bridgestones Duelers I replaced.

I replaced the Bridgestone Dueler tires and they only had approx 22,000 miles on them. They were beginning to get bald and it was a nice excuse to get rid of them and slap the Cross Terrains on.

So far I am really happy with these tires. Hopefully I can get more than 22,000 miles on these puppies.
Old 07-09-03, 07:04 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by EnzoRX
I just installed the Michelin Cross Terrains (225/70/16) on my RX300. I special ordered them at Costco and got up early this past Saturday and waited in line for the Costco Tire Center to open up. Told the tire guy to mount the black sidewall facing outwards. The white lettering had some kinda blue ink or something on it and it looked fugly.

Umm.... that "blue ink" is nothing more than a protective coating that is applied to all whitewalls/lettering on tires. It's there to keep them white during shipping and installation. Washes off with a scrub brush and soap and water.

Quick Reply: Just got Cross Terrain tires. They are fantastic tires! Thanks to everyone!