RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Mitsubishi Outlander Test drive revisited

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-02, 09:41 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Outlander Test drive today

Well I drove it...I grabbed the Mitsubishi Mix CD (It rocks), and sent off for my $15 Gas Certificate (That will rock when I get it). The sales staff was great. I guess, for some people, this vehicle will serve well...but so will any 4 cyl wagon.

What can I say...It's meant to compete with the RAV4, CR-V and Sportage. They only come with 4 cyl. engines. Very simple interiors. The altezza taillights are an option. The one I drove didn't have them. Price 19K-22K. Ugly, but practical. 26/20 MPG.

http://www.2003outlander.com/2003outlander

Tinted windows? Option.

It's just such a fugly little thing.

Here was my test-drive...Yes, those are hubcaps
Attached Thumbnails Mitsubishi Outlander Test drive revisited-mitsu1.jpg  

Last edited by Daddy-O; 10-07-02 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-07-02, 09:42 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Those are some ugly little thangs.

The silver one was 22K. Comes with:
210 watt 6 speaker stereo($1150!), tinted windows, altezza taillights...
<shudder>I couldn't bring myself to photograph them</shudder>.
Attached Thumbnails Mitsubishi Outlander Test drive revisited-mitsu2.jpg  

Last edited by Daddy-O; 10-07-02 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-07-02, 09:43 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Gussied-up station wagons. Alloy wheels on the silver model.
Attached Thumbnails Mitsubishi Outlander Test drive revisited-mitsu3.jpg  

Last edited by Daddy-O; 10-07-02 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-07-02, 09:45 PM
Lvangundy

GS taillights with camry/jetta wheels.
Old 10-08-02, 11:02 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this thing have ANY original elements to it? GS tailights (or IS/Altezza), VW Jetta rims, and a stance similar to the Subaru Outback... Unless I'm missing something, the only original part about it is the front end/grill - and that's that UGLIEST part - the lines are all wrong.... Not for me at all.

That reminds me - my girlfriends possibly looking for a new car, and a few weeks ago we test drove a '99 Eclipse - the salesman was F'in RUDE, the car was a pile-o-*****, and they wanted WAY too much $$$ for it... I was NOT impressed.

I also drove the VW Passat w/ the 4 cyl turbo (standard transmission), and I was VERY impressed... A very driveable car, a suprisingly powerful 4 cyl engine (yeah yeah, it's no GS4 V8), and a very friendly/professional/helpful salesman who wasn't pushy in the least... Only turnoff was the price - the want like $28,000 for the V6 w/ leather (which is the only one I'd want), and for that price I can EASILY get her into a used GS3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAY more car for the money.

Oh yeah, not to further hijack your Mitsubishi thread here Daddy-O, but we also drove the Sonata because my girl likes the look of 'em.... All I can say is
Old 10-08-02, 12:06 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

CK1_RX3, how about the new Accord? The interior much improved...and it wasn't bad before. 240hp V6.
Old 10-08-02, 12:29 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Yeah, I really like the accord, but my gf doesn't really care for it...
The car she'd really love to have is an ES300 (but NOT the new body style) - I know she'd love one of those - that's what I drove before I had my RX, and she LOVED driving that ES whenever she got a chance... can't blame her, it's a fine automobile - but I LOVE my RX since it's pretty hard to tow my fishing boat and haul my guitars and amps around with an ES.

Was watching my Pack beat the **** outta the Bears last night, and saw the commercials for the new Z - JESUS I've got Z envy now too - you can get a stripped one starting at $27K - that things got performance for days it sounds like... VERY sweet looking too IMO... kind of reminds me of a cross between an TT, and SC430 (sort of), with some DEFINATE Porsche-like styling... Yet it's definately got an original signature of it's own...

Think I could put a towing package on one of those?
Old 10-08-02, 12:41 PM
Shonuff
Pole Position

hahaha it is a collection of other vehichles. pontiac vibe front end, nissan frontier roof rack, the body looks like the saturn vue meets the subaru outback , lexus tail lights, vw rims.

it's like all the r&d team did was photoshop the competitors vehichles together and called it a day.
Attached Thumbnails Mitsubishi Outlander Test drive revisited-photo03_lg.jpg  

Last edited by Shonuff; 10-08-02 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-08-02, 12:56 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

GEEZ, your right about the pontiac front end!!!! Couldn't place it before, but I knew SOMETHING seemed cliche about it.

In my opinion, MITSUBISHI = OVERATED at best...
Old 10-08-02, 03:38 PM
white01
Driver

Default RX clones

First the Mitsu - now the Kia. The Kia is biting the RX so hard they - Kia - has the nerve to offer a "Fake" wood and leather sterring wheel. One thing they didn't copy the RX on is the with tire size of 245-70-16 on Michelin's for the EX Model. Oh yeah the thing had a sticker price of $27,000.00 which probably translates into 25K & change real dollars. For what it is - at that price it will sell.

I guess Kia/Hyundai feels copying other manufacturers is a sure fire way to sell their products.
Old 10-08-02, 04:20 PM
white01
Driver

I feel ya! But in all fairness I think Hyundai/Kia is going to keep trying. Car & Driver - which we all know is biased - in certain regards rated the Hyundai Elantra above the Toyota Corolla! Somebody is digging Mr. Toyota up right now, he can't remain in the grave with this going on. Hyundai is selling these things - they even have fleet contracts with major rental companies Budget comes to mind. If they keep trying they'll be a little more than an also ran - at least on the so called "Econo side". Isn't Samsung a Korean company? I remember when their stuff was considered garbage. Fast forward to today- One of the biggest freakin bill boards in Times Square, and their flat screen monitors aren't cheap.

I don't think they will be packing up like Daewoo, Oldmosbile and the F-body twins- (Camaro & Firebird) any time soon.
Old 10-09-02, 01:08 AM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

True mosty companies start out like that and slowly and quietly creep up on the market. Before you know it their stuff is considered well made and top of the line. Toyota and Nissan where there. I saw a video on japaneese products and just a couple decades ago their products were considered crap and now look at their stuff. Its some of the most technologoically advanced. From their cars to everything thats electronic. Those korean cars are slowly playing catch up with everyone else. Before you know it their going to be making luxury cars. I'll stick with Lexus though. If you think about it though. Lexus did start out copying german cars. The sorento is copying Lexus now. Who knows maybe in 20 years a chineese car will be copying Kia. Its just an on going chain huh.
Old 10-09-02, 01:55 PM
white01
Driver

Who knows maybe in 20 years a chineese car will be copying Kia. Its just an on going chain huh by jimmit

True That!
Old 12-17-02, 03:14 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

It took almost 2 1/2 months, but the awful pain of
driving that ugly car has finally been ameliorated.

Look what I got in the mail today...$15 worth of gasoline:
Attached Thumbnails Mitsubishi Outlander Test drive revisited-card.jpg  

Last edited by Daddy-O; 12-17-02 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-17-02, 05:52 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I read the specs of the Outlander in the latest Car and Driver magazine; it takes over ELEVEN SECONDS for the Outlander to reach 60mph :eek:

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi Outlander Test drive revisited