RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

High RPM's before shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-10, 11:25 AM
mscribner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High RPM's before shifting

I have a '99 RX300 with approx. 140K miles on it.

I noticed when shifting from 3rd-4th gear that the RPM's got really high >4000 before shifting and it wasn't very consistent on the actual RPM that it shifted on.

A friend of mind told me about a BG transmission service, so I thought I would try to see if that would help, and it did for about a week and now it is worse than ever.

I checked my ATF fluid today and it was fine.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what I need to do?

GRRRRRR!
Old 03-18-10, 12:59 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

Please better describe the BG Transmission Service. Was it a transmission flush? What type of transmission fluid did they use? What do you mean by the fluid is fine?
Old 03-18-10, 01:10 PM
mscribner
Driver School Candidate

You can tell I'm a noobie... Sorry!

Here is the info on the BG Transmission Service: This is direct quote from their site: Solution:
Rather than just removing the fluid found in the bottom of the pan, the entire transmission is cleaned and replenished with the use of special equipment. The transmission and its torque converter have all of their old contaminated fluid removed while new fluid and premium conditioners are added.

One of the hardest working parts of your vehicle will shift smoothly and effortlessly for many more trouble-free miles.
[/I]

Here is a link to more info: http://www.bgfindashop.com/bgservices/transmission.htm

They used a Toyota Type IV fluid.

On the dipstick for the ATF fluid there is a COLD and a HOT etched on the stick. Between each of those words, there are notches on the stick. When I checked the stick after driving it. The ATF fluid was at the top notch of the "HOT" section of the stick.

Hope this clarifies. Let me know if I need to tell you more.

Thanks for looking.
Old 03-18-10, 01:32 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I'd pull off the battery cables to reset the system, reconnect them, and then take a 15 minute drive with a 50/50 mix of city highway, (be sure to get above 55 mph at least once) and then see how it is after a few days.

I remember frequently in Mexico hitting higher than normal rpms on the road.
Old 03-18-10, 01:34 PM
mscribner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I'd pull off the battery cables to reset the system, reconnect them, and then take a 15 minute drive with a 50/50 mix of city highway, (be sure to get above 55 mph at least once) and then see how it is after a few days.

I remember frequently in Mexico hitting higher than normal rpms on the road.
Lexmex- How long do I have to keep the battery cables off to do a reset? Is that all I need to do, just disconnect the battery cables?
Old 03-18-10, 01:50 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mscribner
Lexmex- How long do I have to keep the battery cables off to do a reset? Is that all I need to do, just disconnect the battery cables?
Leave it for about 1 minute or so (for those who know me I've had cases where nothing changed after 1 minute).
Old 03-18-10, 02:04 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by mscribner
You can tell I'm a noobie...
Thanks for looking.
It may be worth rewriting here ...

1. Any transmission issue or concern must be at operating temperature [not just engine idled till it gets to 1/2 way between hot and cold.] You need to drive for about 20 minutes or so.

2. Checking transmission fluid level is hard. You need to be sure that it is at cold mark right after the fill. The drive for 20 min or so. Bring the vehicle to a flat/level surface. Keep the engine running and apply brake and rove the shifter through each position and hold in each for about 10sec. Then bring it to "P" and with the engine idling check the fluid level again. You will have to wipe the stick number of time to make sure you get the proper read.

I have practically given up on this practice and simply measure the drained fluid and fill the same amount. With normal drain [drain the pan and drain the transfer case] , on my FWD it takes 4 bottles and for a pan-drop and filter clean up, it takes 5.

I dont think the power flush is a good idea. Others may agree or disagree.

Salim
Old 03-18-10, 03:14 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I agree with Lexmex go ahead and take off the battery cables to reset the setting's. Just so you know you will have to set up your seat,radio presets and clock again. I personally don't like any type of oil flush for the transmission. I feel that it usually clogs up the filter after the debris go through the valves. A simple drain and fill with changing the filter every 20-30k is good enough.

If your problem exists after resetting the ECU by removing the battery cables, I suggest that you perform a drain and fill and look at the condition of the filter to see if it has been clogged by the "tranny sludge" released from the flush.