RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Kumho or Yokohama tires ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-09, 04:28 PM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Kumho or Yokohama tires ?

My 2001 RX300 needs a new set of tires, it currently has Bridgestone Dueler HT. I don't want the same make and they are a bit expensive compared to Kumho KR21 or Yokohama Geolander HT tires.
Which one should I go for ? Yokohama's are $15 more per tire then Kumho.
I need them for all season, mainly driving in the city.
Old 09-03-09, 04:42 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rx300mm
My 2001 RX300 needs a new set of tires, it currently has Bridgestone Dueler HT. I don't want the same make and they are a bit expensive compared to Kumho KR21 or Yokohama Geolander HT tires.
Which one should I go for ? Yokohama's are $15 more per tire then Kumho.
I need them for all season, mainly driving in the city.
I'm not going to tell you what kind to get because what 1 person hates, another loves and wouldn't have anything else. When I was looking for wheels and tires when I bought my truck (new), I had settled on Kumho, until I went to several very active tire dealers sites that had reviews. That ended the Kumho decision. I ended up with the Yoko Geo HT's and have been very happy with them. I did buy a set of expensive Yoko's for my wife's car and they were disaster, finally had them switched for Michelin's and the nightmare was over. Any tire manufacturer can have excellent tires with a few loser lines sprinkled in. That's the reason I like the very active review section on tire seller sites. You have to do your own weeding (not every review can be taken seriously), but it's real world and you will see patterns develop when you read enough reviews. Tire Rack is a good resource but there are many more. Good luck!
Old 09-03-09, 04:56 PM
jcjr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the Kumhos....I have 20K on my current set of 4 on my 2001 RX....

I had a set on my Boxter also which I also like...

Great tires/Great value
Old 09-03-09, 08:32 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used to have the Yokos, loved them and got 70K out of them. I really wanted to go with them again but went with the General Grabber HTS. So far, love them but time will tell on the wear.

We had Kumho's on our Camry, had to replace them at 30K.
Old 09-03-09, 11:04 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blueridge
Used to have the Yokos, loved them and got 70K out of them. I really wanted to go with them again but went with the General Grabber HTS. So far, love them but time will tell on the wear.

We had Kumho's on our Camry, had to replace them at 30K.
Blue- the thing that made me decide against them (Kumho) after I had decided for them was the large amount of negative feedback on the major tire sites. I also saw several laying around in the shop at America's Tire where I got the tires and wheels that were apparently warrantee and 1 complete set that they admitted they had to replace because of cracking. The Yoko's on my truck are 60 series, 18 in. on a 9.75 wheel so I don't expect high miles on the wear, but I like everything else about the tire. With 19k mi. they are about 40-45% worn, so I guess that won't be too bad.
Old 09-04-09, 03:10 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go with the Yokos, always gave me a quiet ride and excellent mileage. Good Luck
Old 09-04-09, 04:54 AM
UNOHOO

i had a set of coopers on my RX 300 for awhile and they seemed like good all around tires, some jacka$$ stuck a screwdriver in the sidewall of em though cause his date left with me (we were old friends but he was trying to get laid) i wanted to go with kuhmos but they werent in stock at the time so i got some highend bridgestones....meh....ive got yokos on my IS 300 and while i like them the rear tires slip on like....anything when im pulling out and i have to to turn the trac off all the freakin time, but thats because of the torque in the IS ya know, oh well, ive heard great things about both tires and unless youre racing like Lexmex used to i dont think your going to have any issues with either one
Old 09-04-09, 06:10 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
i had a set of coopers on my RX 300 for awhile and they seemed like good all around tires, some jacka$$ stuck a screwdriver in the sidewall of em though cause his date left with me (we were old friends but he was trying to get laid) i wanted to go with kuhmos but they werent in stock at the time so i got some highend bridgestones....meh....ive got yokos on my IS 300 and while i like them the rear tires slip on like....anything when im pulling out and i have to to turn the trac off all the freakin time, but thats because of the torque in the IS ya know, oh well, ive heard great things about both tires and unless youre racing like Lexmex used to i dont think your going to have any issues with either one
Gee i guess that explains that pretty well!!
Old 09-04-09, 09:42 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexus114
Gee i guess that explains that pretty well!!
LMAO! I seem to remember a story on here along the same lines about cleaning vomit out of a car. I think that was your buddy Whomp that told it!
Old 09-04-09, 11:28 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by blueridge
LMAO! I seem to remember a story on here along the same lines about cleaning vomit out of a car. I think that was your buddy Whomp that told it!
You have an excellent memory blue,Yep thats my boy Wompster!! Hes a good guy (but you know how kids are )

Last edited by lexus114; 09-04-09 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-04-09, 08:18 PM
kRonX
Lead Lap

I remember going through this decision about 4 years ago. I ended up getting the yokohamas for its better overall rating and quiet ride. Not to mention a much better price than the rest back then. I am still riding on the same sets and its been over 60K.
Old 09-05-09, 08:08 AM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I've always been a Michelin fan, but they're quite a bit more money. I thought about the Michelin Latidude, and theyve got a new light truck tire I can't remember the name of. I was thinking about the Kumho's (what a name!), but this thread makes me a little leery about them!
Old 09-06-09, 12:09 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by trhs75
I've always been a Michelin fan, but they're quite a bit more money. I thought about the Michelin Latidude, and theyve got a new light truck tire I can't remember the name of. I was thinking about the Kumho's (what a name!), but this thread makes me a little leery about them!
Trhs- I'm am not married to any one brand- I just don't want problems with tires. I generally replace my tires when they get down to 25% tread and it's a good day for me if all I ever have to do is make sure they are kept inflated properly and cross- switched. I have actually had quite a few sets that have done just that. I don't ever buy tires without spending some time on the review (feed back) sections on tires sites. You have to "spit out the bones" but it is time well spent in my opinion. Very few tire companies have 100% of their tire models that are winners, it's up to us to find out what ones are not...BEFORE we buy them.
Old 09-06-09, 12:46 AM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Yokohama FTW!!!

Japanese Tires > Korean Tires

Japanese tires have a better quality than that of Korean tires.
Old 09-06-09, 08:57 AM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree, code58 -- thanks!

Quick Reply: Kumho or Yokohama tires ?