RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-08, 02:21 PM
TampRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem solve

Happy to report, the infamous CEL is gone. Received the sensor today, see pics. It's Denso and new! Car running fine, actually, running very smooth and MPG is already improving in the past 50 miles of test drive. Last night I ran Seafoam and replace PCV valve, today new A/F sensor. All other codes are gone (P0125) and the TRAC OFF light is not coming on.

got it from ebay, check above for vendor.
Old 03-14-08, 05:59 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just got the same P0125 along with P1135 and P1133 and am thinking of getting the A/F Sensor too. Do you have a picture of where the sensor is? With arrow indicating direction of front, so we have an idea of what we're looking at. Thank you.
Old 03-14-08, 07:31 PM
TampRX300
Driver

There is a picture posted by LexMex that shows exactly where it is. Here is a description. See the one in the front on the engine's manifold? looks like the one in the picture above. Well, get under the car and look up on the rear manifold, it will look just like the one from the front. That's the one. A little tight to get to, but it took me 10 minutes from the moment I jacked the car up about 2 inches to the time I was starting the car for a test drive.

Just do a search on the forum and you'll find the pic from lexmex, or maybe he'll post it here too. He's that good!
Old 03-15-08, 07:27 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

That would be Bank 1 Sensor 1 and that is located behind the engine block.
Attached Thumbnails warning lights-img_0833.jpg  
Old 03-15-08, 09:26 AM
AlexusAnja

Thank you very much Tamp and Lex. You guys are great. I'll work on it once I get the part. Interestingly enough, I check the coolant level in radiator and it wasn't low, but the reservoir was empty. I filled it up, ran it for a few miles, refilled the reservoir and then reset the CEL and thus far (20 miles I'd say) no light yet.

The one in the front is the one on the manifold, around the oil filter area correct? You can see it as you look down.

Anyway, I'll have the part ready. If the light doesn't come back, I'll just hold until it goes.

Take care.

Last edited by AlexusAnja; 03-15-08 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Added where front sensor is.
Old 03-15-08, 12:04 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The one on the front by the oil filter/manifold is similar to the one that is shown in the picture above, but your particular code relates to the one behind the engine shown above (which is a PITA to reach but not impossible).
Old 03-15-08, 12:35 PM
AlexusAnja

Default Location location location

Originally Posted by Lexmex
The one on the front by the oil filter/manifold is similar to the one that is shown in the picture above, but your particular code relates to the one behind the engine shown above (which is a PITA to reach but not impossible).
Just like buying a home, it's location, location, location. My answer was to Tamp who in his message said it would look like the one in the front, but I wanted to make sure I was looking at the same thing first, then attack the one in the back . Thank you for the picture too, since now I have a picture to compare where I'm suppose to be looking.

PITA? or PETA? No animals will be harmed in my repair, I'll use a metal "monkey wrench" and not a real monkey... j/k.

"pain in the ****" is what the RX is all about. Can't even do an oil change in this thing easily.

Best.
Old 03-17-08, 09:06 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you replace both A/F sensors?
Old 03-17-08, 01:53 PM
TampRX300
Driver

Me? Nope, just per the code's request.
Old 03-18-08, 09:56 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Well,lets hope the other one will hold up a while.Let us know if the other one goes bad.Supposedly it will.
Old 03-18-08, 01:39 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

This a picture I was looking for a while back to post here of the rear A/F sensor and its connector.
Attached Thumbnails warning lights-o2sensorconnectorrear1.jpg  
Old 03-19-08, 06:30 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

You the Man lex!!
Old 03-19-08, 07:05 PM
AlexusAnja

Talking Works like a charm

Hey Tamp, got my part from same place you got your's and thanks to Lex's pictures, found it with no problem. I'm just going to reuse Lex's picture (hope you don't mind) but outline some "little" things to help future people along. The plug of the A/F sensor (red) goes into the connector housing (green) and snaps in. I thought it would pull right out, but you have to press the side of the housing and it will pop the plus slightly so that you then can pull it right out.

I'm not big built, so I did not even lift the vehicle up, just slid right under, got the connector off, turned the sensor (it wasn't rusted on, but it was pretty tight) off, which was the longest part, about 10 minutes. Overall, about 20 min. job from getting tools ready to finish.

Reset code, drove 20 miles, no CEL.

Thanks everyone.
Attached Thumbnails warning lights-o2sensorconnector_press.jpg  
Old 03-26-08, 11:29 AM
TSP225
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSC & CEL lights came on

Originally Posted by Lexmex
This a picture I was looking for a while back to post here of the rear A/F sensor and its connector.
I have been following this post starting with the ones that appeared back in 2007, and then these current ones.
I also have the two lights that have come on unexpectedly...but now I have a clue. I will also go to AUTOZONE per your sage advise and ask them to give me the codes.
My situation started after I removed the battery from the RX300 to give it a decent charge, since it sat idle for 4 weeks, and battery seemed dead.
After 2 days of trikle charge, I started vehicle and decided to drive it to work so it would get a better charge (wife's 2001 garaged kept car with 34,000 miles). After driving it a total of 8 miles to work, the lights came on when I started the trip home...I figured the lights coming on was somehow connected to the disconnection of the battery...so maybe not, but sure seems like a strange coincidence.
BTW...checked on the Denso sensor that TampaRX ordered, and it currently is selling for $128 from autopartspro...just and FYI. Guess they change their prices a lot.
Old 03-26-08, 06:40 PM
TampRX300
Driver

$128 it is. The shipping is what they have different in some ads. I went with the $14.95 shipping, but they nailed me for 7% tax since we are both in FL...

Quick Reply: warning lights