RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Anyone have a moonroof wind deflector?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-01, 12:27 AM
satxrx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a moonroof wind deflector?

Whether you do or not, what's the opinion on the deflector as far as reducing wind noise?

Appreciate any pertinent advice!
Old 11-28-01, 04:25 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Satxrx, do you mean wind noise as in the slipstream or wind noise as in the very annoying beat frequency that can occur with sunroof and windows open??

Either way, an add on deflector should help. The first, by channeling the airstream higher over the roof and thereby decreasing some of the turbulence that occurs when it hits the trailing edge and the second, (doing the same thing) by preventing that cyclic pressure buildup that your ears perceive as a 1-2 Hz musical tone (not that 2 Hz sounds musical; just feels like somebody is beating both sides of your head with pillows).

I has several Preludes long ago that were undriveable with the sunroof open at intown speeds due to beat frequency problems. Problem immediately solved with deflector. Haven't seen one on an RX tho. They do look kind of wart-like.
Old 11-28-01, 07:23 AM
satxrx
Driver

Default Thanks, mooretorque!

The wind noise I'm getting is an annoying, high-pitched whistle like noise that can be heard from the back. I'm speculating that it's due to the older spoiler since I've taken the entire roof rack off but the spoiler and the noise is still there.

I was told by a service rep that it would require body shop work to remove spoiler and that's big $$$.

So, rather than that, I'm hoping the deflector would be a low cost, non-permanent alternative to reducing or eliminating the noise.
Old 11-28-01, 07:34 AM
satxrx
Driver

Default Forgot to mention this...

My issue is not with the moonroof open but rather with it CLOSED. I have a highway near the home that I often used to go into town and it's rated at 70 mph. And whenever I approach the limit: 65-70 mph I'll start to hear the high-pitched whistle like noise coming from the back.

I'm really hoping the deflector may be an easy cure for this...
Old 11-28-01, 07:38 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Ah ha! The old whistling rear spoiler, eh?? Moon roof deflector might help, for same reasons as above. Worth a try, I'd say. They shouldn't cost much and are very easily installable/removable. Presumably you could return it if it were not effective.

You'd unfortunately be looking at the body shop, then, but I don't have another easy answer unless Lexus can switch you to the later model rear spoiler (which I think was done for precisely the complaint that you are having).
Old 11-28-01, 09:45 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

When I complained about wind noise, the dealer did the following to fix it and yes it was cured.

1. Moved the fixed slats of the roof rack. (not for sure)
2. Tightened the roof rack tie down eyes, so that the holes face acorss the vehicle... while driving the air does not go through the eyes. (for sure)
3. Replaced the trunk seal as it was leaking (was told)

Salim
Old 11-28-01, 03:39 PM
satxrx
Driver

Default ah-ha!

I knew you guys would come through with some solid answers!

I'm actually taking in my RX in next week and wanted to have some input as to what I want them to work on in regards to the whistling noise.

I subscribed to Alldata.com and looked up various TSBs and so I did do some of the things that Salimshah posted such as adjusting the rack and the eyelets. But I did not, of course, replace the trunk seal. The seal could very well need replacing...

Thanks and if there's any other possible solutions - post 'em.
Old 12-01-01, 06:53 AM
lextek
Driver

On some RX 300's, earlier models I believe, there was/is a cure for this. As Salim mentioned the trunk seal which is around the entire back door area (body side) could be a culprit. What you may check into is this: On the sides of the aforementioned seal, what I mean is with the hatch open looking at the seal, the right and left hand sides (vertically) are, from the factory in fact too low possibly to seal well. The dealer should have about an 8-10" piece of solid round rubber that they can install UNDER the seal and raises it up not noticeable to the eye but absolutely to the ear, they may not rememer this fix, remind them.

Lextek.
Old 12-03-01, 11:33 PM
satxrx
Driver

Default thanks, lextek

My RX is in the shop as I write. I'm expecting to get it back tomorrow so I'll check with the service advisor as to what was done to correct the whistling noise issue - if they corrected it.

I'll let everyone know what the outcome was...

Many thanks.
Old 12-16-01, 10:34 AM
wcody
Driver School Candidate

Default Tech Service Bulletin for Moonroof Wind Noise

There is a Lexus technical service bulletin (number BO003-99) that applies to older RX's ('99). It replaces the pop-up deflector panel, reduces it's pop-up height, reduces the moon roof panel opening a bit, and re-positions the roof racks.

You will know if you need the TSB if your moon roof deflector has holes. The new one is without holes.

I had it done for my CPO '99 RX (under warranty), and it does help reduce the overal wind noise. However, the 2Hz pulsing is still there between 35-42 MPH.

The cure: crack open one of the rear windows a bit when the moon roof is open.
Old 12-16-01, 06:20 PM
satxrx
Driver

Default Thanks wcody

Yeah, I'm fully aware of the TSB on the wind issues. And my RX appears to have also been serviced for those TSBs.

However, I did eventually find out the problem to my whistling wind noise... It was the front cross bar's rubber insert. It was loose enough that when I drove the RX anywhere from 45-75 mph, the rubber insert would, I guess, vibrate and cause the high-pitched whistling noise. Since then, I've had it replaced and now no more noise! Oh, and the dealership also replaced/installed a newer seal around the back hatch and that appears reduce additional wind noise, too.

I posted a later entry describing how I discovered the culprit was the front cross bar. Look under "Whistling noise mystery solved!".

Thanks.