RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission cooler and Transmission Flush

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-07, 09:51 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by skippy911
I changed my oil the other day and *gasp* my tranny fluid is black. I have a friend who will do the flush for me at his shop but he doesn't have the atf 4 fluid. How many quarts will I need to buy to do the entire flush and fill? Thanks Oh btw, toyota wanted to charge 189.99 to do a flush! Is it just me or is that not ridiculous??
I wouldn't do a flush in this situation. I would do a drain and fill. Flushing may actually 'shock' the system in this case and cause problems.

I once did a flush out at Lexus in Naples, FL and they charged me about $125 USD from my recollection. Only reason I did the flush in the case is that I had silvery/pinkish fluid, which indicated a lot material in the system. The flush got that out.

Last edited by Lexmex; 02-10-09 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-24-07, 10:47 AM
skippy911
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I wouldn't do a flush in this situation. I would do a drain and fill. Flushing may actually 'schock' the system in this case and cause problems.

I once did a flush out at Lexus in Naples, FL and they charged me about $125 USD from my recollection. Only reason I did the flush in the case is that I had silvery/pinkish fluid, which indicated a lot material in the system. The flush got that out.
How long ago did you do the flush out in naples? I used to live there So if I do the drain and fill would I just need 4 quarts of atf 4?
Old 02-24-07, 11:05 AM
skippy911
Driver

I called Nalley Lexus here in Alpharetta and they quoted me 339 for a complete flush! WHOLLY CRAP! He told me they use about 15 gallons of atf fluid to flush out the system and he wouldn't recommend an aftermarket shop todo it because they may use an incorrect psi on the system and actual move the particles around the system. If he just BS'ing me or is there truth to that? I also got a quote of 859 for the timing belt and water pump which is a great price since it has a free loaner car in the mix. I asked about the system flush causing any problems vs the drain and fill and he says the system flush would be definetly recommended over a drain in fill in the case that the fluid is black. Any guidance you all can give me here would be greatly appreciated. My RX is almost up to 92k miles so I would like it to last as long as possible, just money is tight right now as usual so I don't want to pay up the rear for things that don't need to be done. BTW he said a drain and fill is about 189.
Old 02-24-07, 11:13 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My last recent drain/fill was ~$134usd for 4 qts and labor. Come up here and save a few $.
FWIW I basically trust my dealer's advice, sometimes I do check around a bit before acting on something, good luck.
Old 02-24-07, 11:15 AM
skippy911
Driver

Originally Posted by parula
My last recent drain/fill was ~$134usd for 4 qts and labor.
Was that at a lexus dealer itself?
Old 02-24-07, 11:18 AM
parula
Instructor

Yes absolutely, I only go to the Lexus dealer unless I just need a quick oil change; then I sometimes go to a local Oil Station that installs Mobil1 without jacking up the car.
Old 02-24-07, 11:22 AM
skippy911
Driver

Found this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho....php?p=2382804

Im thinking perhaps during my next 3 oil changes I should just get a drain and fill done using the atf4 instead of the flush. I don't want to shock the system or anything like that, but I also don't want to leave it as is since I am sure that'll do more damage. Advice is more than welcome here
Old 02-24-07, 11:36 AM
parula
Instructor

When I discovered my fluid was slightly dark around 20k I had a d/f. Had that done again around 37k and the fluid seems pretty pink and smells ok/sweet/ no burn odor that I can tell. I plan to do d/fills every 2 oil changes or about every 10k or 15k at the most, to keep the fluid as clean as possible - I don't know if this is overkill but the cost is minimal IMO. If I discover my fluid is getting dark sooner I guess I will do more d/fs as so far this what the dealer recommended - but my fluid is basically ok.

You say your tfluid is black, some here have said they do sequential d/fs to get fluid back to normal color, ask the dealer if that is ok if you are afraid of the flush??
Old 02-24-07, 11:43 AM
skippy911
Driver

I found directions how to do the drain and fill with no problems just cost of the atf fluid. So for 25 bucks I can do a drain and fill. I like that idea but also want to do whats best for my car since I need her to last at least 2 more years.
Old 02-24-07, 02:16 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

How long ago did you do the flush out in naples? I used to live there So if I do the drain and fill would I just need 4 quarts of atf 4?
I flushed it out just a tad over 4 years ago. I have relatives in the area.

4 quarts is about right. I actually use 5 bottles of Toyota Type IV.

The reason is that one has to drain both the tranny itself (plug on the right) and its accompanying front differential (plug on the left). Both are refilled through the tranny dipstick and the ATF will so trickle into the front differential.

In my case, the flush actually swept up and out the sediments that would otherwise hang around during a normal drain and fill (the silvery/pinkish particles). In your case, being all black, I see a flush as a little like throwing cold water on to a hot plate (thus the chance for a shock). A drain and fill is more of a gradual process, and cheaper.

One little trick I use is to drip a little water on to the top of the tranny after driving it to see if there is any steam indicating the fluid is no longer 'viable'.

859 for timing belt and water pump is not bad for Lexus. I once did mine for about 900 at Lexus of San Antonio (actually I have the highest respect for them...great people )

However, I would never pay what Lexus is charging your for a flush. I also face tight times being down here, and working with my uncle and I know and have seen the value of just doing the drain and fill.

I would also recommend at least this first drain and fill to remove the tranny pan so you can take a look and clean off the magnets as I showed in my earlier photo, especially having black fluid.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission cooler and Transmission Flush-difftran.jpg  
Old 02-24-07, 03:23 PM
skippy911
Driver

Thanks for the info lexmex. I think ill do my timing belt at lexus and do the drain and fill myself. Is there a special way to clean off the magnet or do I just use a rag?
Old 02-24-07, 03:34 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info lexmex. I think ill do my timing belt at lexus and do the drain and fill myself. Is there a special way to clean off the magnet or do I just use a rag?
What I do is use paper towel under running water and that cleans those magnets off.

Here is another shot of those magnets when clean.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission cooler and Transmission Flush-img_0676.jpg  
Old 02-24-07, 03:49 PM
skippy911
Driver

Wow thats an amazing difference. I wonder what I'll find when I do mine. Can the drain and fill be done without jacking up the car?
Old 02-24-07, 04:07 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Wow thats an amazing difference. I wonder what I'll find when I do mine. Can the drain and fill be done without jacking up the car?
Sure. I actually even did the rear differential and transfer case (both you find only on AWD versions) without jacking up the vehicle.
Old 02-24-07, 04:14 PM
skippy911
Driver

Nice, I have the towing kit on my rx, at least I think I do. I have the part on the back to add a trailer hitch so does that mean I have the towing kit and thus the transmission cooler?? If so is there anything special I need to worry about when doing the drain and fill??

Quick Reply: Transmission cooler and Transmission Flush