RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Downpipe modifications

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-06, 08:52 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by AudioMan
Ouch, that is a lot of money for only $49 HP. For $13K, you could probably build your own turbo system and put some lower compression parts in the engine. The only real hurtle would be the custom tune.

These engines are tuned very conservatively, tuning alone would probably yeield about 10 HP.
Well, we have seen several examples of tuned up Solaras and Camrys that use the 1MZFE engine, both supercharged and turbocharged, I think even a few nitrous.

I have to remember that for the 1999 model year, the RX300 was not too bad in terms of power compared to its competitors.
Old 10-23-06, 10:34 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bosal Downpipe Camry V6

Lexmex,
It is great you upgraded to bigger downpipe, I just found out Bosal makes a downpipe for 94 Camry V6, same 1mzfe engine.
The downpipe can be better (but far more complexity and expensive) if they have equal length from the exhaust manifold headers to the catalytic converter. See Bosal (www.bosalna.com) picture which gives an example. The same can be said with stock manifold headers, you have an excellent picture. The amazing thing is all three stock exhaust manifold "holes" have different length in the same bank, my Acura only has the middle one shorter than outer two.
I would be happy if Megan Racing makes a pair of 1MZFE manifold exhaust headers, I think the downpipe will have to be custom made for RX just like you have done here.
Attached Thumbnails Downpipe modifications-94_carmy_downpipe.jpg  

Last edited by TunedRX300; 10-23-06 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-24-06, 06:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Lexmex,
It is great you upgraded to bigger downpipe, I just found out Bosal makes a downpipe for 94 Camry V6, same 1mzfe engine.
The downpipe can be better (but far more complexity and expensive) if they have equal length from the exhaust manifold headers to the catalytic converter. See Bosal (www.bosalna.com) picture which gives an example. The same can be said with stock manifold headers, you have an excellent picture. The amazing thing is all three stock exhaust manifold "holes" have different length in the same bank, my Acura only has the middle one shorter than outer two.
I would be happy if Megan Racing makes a pair of 1MZFE manifold exhaust headers, I think the downpipe will have to be custom made for RX just like you have done here.
Great points.

Off the rear manifold it would have to jut out a little bit and then shoot literally straight down as shown in the Bosal example, if I were to adopt in the the RX300. I think it might be of equal length then.

When I used to talk about a turbo, I had the idea that it would be fitted on the piping leading off the exhaust manifold behind the engine. This no doubt would have a slight resistance effect that I would hope would equalize the effect.

I still feel at the moment the ECM has to learn this new modification to its system to get the performance. For the past few driving days it seems to have got a little more pep in it than on the weekend.

In the future, I do want to get the manifolds redone similar to what Megan is trying to do. Maybe I can just buy the top pieces when they are done.
Old 10-24-06, 12:28 PM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would the bosalna downpipe work for the rx300? cause my catalytic converter has crack inside i think ... cause i hear a knocking sound and i took it to the shop they lift my car up and they moved the catalytic coverter around you hear something move around inside.
Old 10-24-06, 12:47 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by err_drunk?
would the bosalna downpipe work for the rx300? cause my catalytic converter has crack inside i think ... cause i hear a knocking sound and i took it to the shop they lift my car up and they moved the catalytic coverter around you hear something move around inside.
That is a sign of failing catalytic convertor. No one knows Bosal fits the RX unless one buy off Ebay and try it out. But it is very easy to modify since Bosal downpipe have two flexible parts, any muffler shop can cut the flex part and weld customized short connecting pipes to make it fit.
Old 10-24-06, 01:21 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I had my old OEM cat get hit by road debris. A dent and also the rattling inside. Reason I have my Magnaflow now.

Now, it is possible, but not in your case that a faulty gasket (usually loose or corroded as shown below can cause this). However, usually piece of the honeycomb in the cat has turned into honeycomb cereal.
Attached Thumbnails Downpipe modifications-rottedburned.jpg  
Old 10-24-06, 01:24 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

But there is probably a craps game going on inside your cat.

Here is a picture of the interior of my Magnaflow Highflow Cat.

There is likely a crack in there and material came loose.

As far as that Bosal, I could measure the piping I have later today at Hangar 1 or if not, on the weekend with my uncle and perhaps we can ask Bosal for the specifications to see if they match up.

The one saving grace so far is that my modifications have not thrown a CEL, so that is a plus for all of us.
Attached Thumbnails Downpipe modifications-img_1162.jpg  
Old 10-24-06, 01:38 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I have a nasty rattle and vibration at the juncture of this pipe and the Resonator (a Sankei from an Accord) that I hope to fix today. Vibrates in D except when in motion, but surprisingly not when I am in P.

I also have my suspicions there is a leak there as I can hear something other than rattling under slight acceleration (which could cause torque problems).
Attached Thumbnails Downpipe modifications-resonatorypipe.jpg  
Old 10-24-06, 04:52 PM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

i was calling around today ... different muffler places .. one place said he will do a customer downpipe and everything for 170.00...
Old 10-24-06, 08:46 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

i was calling around today ... different muffler places .. one place said he will do a customer downpipe and everything for 170.00...
Approximates what I spent. You have my photos here to use.

BTW, I had to work late (still am) and could not stop by for measurements at Hangar 1. May not get to it until Thursday with my pace of work. Saturday morning I could definitely get over there.

I also noticed that on the way home (I go up in elevation approximately 1,000 feet from work to home), that when I stepped on the pedal on a long stretch of road, it is getting much harder to push down, so I think the ECM is finally getting it and freeing up the extra power.
Old 10-25-06, 03:51 AM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

lexmex when you did your downpipe ... did your check engine light come on cause of o2 sensor ? cause someone told me if i do a custom downpipe my check engine might come on...
Old 10-25-06, 04:42 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

lexmex when you did your downpipe ... did your check engine light come on cause of o2 sensor ? cause someone told me if i do a custom downpipe my check engine might come on...
No CELS whatsoever.

However, whoever told you that is correct. Some vehicle are very finicky. My original concern was when we had to replace the precats with straightpipe, but nothing. Remember, I was mentioning earlier that our friends with Solaras that have 1MZFEs often do not have those precats in certain states, so I have a hunch no issue.

There are things known as O2 eliminators that act like dummy oxygen sensors that could be used if I d get a CEL.
Old 10-25-06, 11:50 AM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexmex
No CELS whatsoever.

However, whoever told you that is correct. Some vehicle are very finicky. My original concern was when we had to replace the precats with straightpipe, but nothing. Remember, I was mentioning earlier that our friends with Solaras that have 1MZFEs often do not have those precats in certain states, so I have a hunch no issue.

There are things known as O2 eliminators that act like dummy oxygen sensors that could be used if I d get a CEL.
where can i get one of those o2 eliminators for a lexus? i see alot for acura/honda
Old 10-25-06, 12:25 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

where can i get one of those o2 eliminators for a lexus? i see alot for acura/honda
I am still evaluating a few to see if they work on other 1MZFE engines like the Solaras, which are big time modders for performance.
Old 10-26-06, 07:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

If you notice on my Saturday night videos, especially the one where my father is the co-pilot, there is a slight low hum (a pause) then the motor comes alive, I have felt this decreasing and a definite increase in torque every day since, so it seems the ECM is learning the new downpipe. As with my URD pulley, it too about a week of driving.

Quick Reply: Downpipe modifications