RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
View Poll Results: Has the transmission on your 1999 RX300 failed?
My transmission has not failed to date
78.85%
My transmission failed under warranty - Lexus paid repair
3.85%
My transmission failed out of warranty- I paid repairs
15.38%
My transmission failed out of warranty- Lexus paid repair (goodwill)
1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission failure 1999 Rx300 AWD poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-06, 08:08 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I may wish nothing breaks, but 8yrs/100K miles of trouble free miles, is my expectation out of a vehicle. Beyond that is bonus.

Salim[/QUOTE]

Salim,

I agree 8 years 100,000 miles would be very acceptable to me, in fact if that were the case I would not have to be digging into line of credit to pay these rediculous repairs.

I would be very receptive to furture lexus purchases if the 8 year 160,000 km warranty was in effect.

Come on Lexus show some confidence in your product!
Old 09-18-06, 10:59 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think all Auto trannys are going to fail before anything else major. I have had bad luck, 1990 Accord new tranny needed at 150k, Toyota Previa about 180k, and knock on wood, nothing yet on the RX300 AWD (just did 7 qt fluid change). I think as long as you change the fluid every 3rd oil change (4 quarts) it should last very long. Its not like its a hard or expensive procedure, actually easier than the oil change.
Old 09-18-06, 11:19 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

In the future, I want to do some tranny upgrade work with a company called IPT out of NJ. Those of you who have seen Tony Leung's turbocharged 1994 Toyota Camry (1MZFE powered like our RX300s and probably the fastest 1MZFE powered thing in the world), he has worked with them.

Granted, Lexus should have beefed up these trannies in the first place.

A Toyota mechanic down here when we were doing an alignment once, remarked at my RX300 tranny, pointed at a RAV4 up on the rack right next to mine and wondered why so small on mine for all of the power.
Old 09-18-06, 04:10 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone have information on the difference between the AWD vs FWD transmission? I have a FWD and am wondering if I am in for a pretty-well described transmission problem on the FWD too, I would think they are very different but have no idea what lies under my baby! And I hope I don't have to find out for $4-5k! Arghh.

[edit] And jmo, but from reading some posts here I would like to think that a transmission would last as long as an engine with routine maintenance. Those who don't maintain their vehicles get whatever. Manufacturers have been making autotrans. for decades, one would think they know how to size and build them by now. If mine is undersized I am really disappointed.

[edit2] Why aren't the critical components of a transmission replaceable for some reasonable cost? Could they be designed that way?

Am getting manual on a new car I ordered!

Last edited by parula; 09-18-06 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-18-06, 04:45 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=thomas1;2127290]My transmission failed at 101k miles, two states away while on vacation. I had changed the fluid every 30k on my transmission with new filter and pan gasket. I was infuriated, cost me $4300 and Lexus of America treated me like white trash. I received no assistance, Even when I supplied documentation of the maintenance, pretty sad for a Toyota product to fail this Early tranny started acting up around 98k i took it to the Lexus service depart. they said they checked everything out and said they couldn't find nothing so I have them to change fluid after I had it changed at the 90k service so the changed started having same problems took it back and they said that CEL would come on if there was a tranny problem so on my way home rode by my friends house who works on Lexus and Bimmers and he said that sometimes the CEL won't come on so I got home and called the Lexus headquarters and told them everything. had another 10k after the 100k mile warranty week later took it back and now it was over 100k. So I rode with the Tech it started doing what I told him then he drove it done the same thing. Free transmission and refund for getting fluid changed. So I tell everybody have all major service work done at the Dealership it might cause more but It will pay off in the long run.
So sad, nice car, but crappy transmission.
Old 09-18-06, 10:22 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

One of the problem we consumers face is we dont know what is failing inside the transmission? Fern is the first person here who narrowed it down to thrust washer (some what generic term). Transmission break down is almost saying car broke down (just because auto trans are complex machines). Engine/motor is at least 10 folds less complex than auto trans.

Transmission design point is not static. To increase mpg weight and size is reduced as much as possible. Further the design shape/hole in the engine bay, establish the foot print of the tranny. To cut down emission, the gears prevented to switch normally and thus engine is made to warm up quicker. Shift points are adjusted for economy/sporty ride. Drive environment (flat/hilly/hot/cold), driving habits (some folks may be pushing their RX before it warms up), maintainance etc all influence the longivity of this machine.

salim
Old 09-19-06, 04:58 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Fern
Co-incidentally the Lexus standard warranty is nothing to write home about. Look at GM's and Ford who both have 5 year 160,000 km and what about Hyundai (10 year 160,000km ), etc...

I'm not saying I would have been better off with the above manufacturers, but give me a break, can't Lexus be a little more confident in their product?
The warranty, like anything, is a selling point and gimick of sorts. It's not necessarily a gauge of how confident in their vehicle a manufacturer is. I would rather take a 3/36 bet on vehicle I know will 90% of the time reach 150K with no issues, than take a 7/70 hit on a vehicle I know will have issues 75% of the time once it hits 70-80K.

Auto manufacturers are in the business to make money, why would you want to warranty up to 100K on every single vehicle you make and fix every single issue that could possibly occur up to that point and impact into your bottom line when your reputation already proceeds you and you can get away for 3/36 or 5/60 coverage?

Also, you'll never get a good gauge of how faulty an issue is from forums like this. You'll get other people's opinions on the problem, but you won't be able to see how bad the problem is. Like Salim had noted, no one is coming on the forum to read and post good stories. We're all on for one reason or another to find out resolutions to issues we have with our vehicles.

I have a '99 RX AWD with 80K on the vehicle now and have not had any issues with the vehicle thus far. At my current pace, I will probably reach 120K around 2010 or so. If my transmission were to 'blow' at that point, from perception wise, that will be 11 years of ownership and in my mind I will probably think the vehicle was quite reliable for 11 years. If I had driven this vehicle to the extent of my '95 Civic, which I used to daily commuting, and logged 30K a year, then 120K would come in 4 years and if my transmission blew in four years, I would think what a piece of crap.

A lot of things in life that we believe are based on perception and not actual fact. Is Toyota/Lexus living on it's past "bulletproof" reliability record? Of course. Are their cars a piece of junk now? Of course not, but with volume and aggressive corporate strategy, you have to expect failures. This is why as consumers, we have to show the auto manufacturers that we're not going to buy and take pieces of garbage. So, if you think a particular manufacturer is making inferior products, there are plenty more makers out there to choose from.
Old 09-19-06, 05:26 AM
dwsmith37
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Like Salim had noted, no one is coming on the forum to read and post good stories.
110,000 on my RX and still shifts like a dream.
Old 09-19-06, 10:32 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Hi AlexusAnja,

thanks for your opinion, thats the beauty of this forum and other like this one.... everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I am the owner of another Luxury vehicle and can say that I purchase higherend cars for a reason, that reason isn't for prestige or higher price tag. The reason is for quality and the fact that hopefully down the road it will hold up better than if I was to buy a Kia or Hyundai.

To have a part that failed in as low a mileage as I have had is just plain unacceptable. I appologize for those diehard Lexus fans that may have gotten offended by my Poll or posts of unacceptable costs I will incur upon pickup of the vehicle tomorrow from Toyota.

The Automobile Protection Association (APA) has conducted a study that showed several expensive automatic transmission repairs have been caused by failed fourth-speed and reverse bearings, usually between 100,000 and 150,000 km on the 3.0 litre Toyota vehicles.

This is not just some random sampling from some forum members posts on how upset they were at trani failure on out of warranty cars, its actual fact. I am sure if you contact the APA, they would be happy to discuss their findings in more detail with you.

I also contacted a very reputable transmission shop with state of the art facilities in the city of Toronto who said they have had a few planetary gear failures on RX300 vehicles.

I too would like to access a forum where the posts are all positive in nature on the reliablity of the vehicles but the fact remains that people will more rapidly discuss the negatives than the positives.

I will however be certain to post any positive response I receive from Lexus Canada regarding their willingness to accept the cost of repairs to my vehicle on a goodwill basis!

BTW, anyone who has sent me a PM on my problem I have always been certain to address the fact that I still feel very confident in the Lexus brand and truely feel my particular failure was isolated in nature and not indicative of poor manufacturing or engineering.

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Fern

Last edited by Fern; 09-19-06 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-19-06, 04:21 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fern
BTW, anyone who has sent me a PM on my problem I have always been certain to address the fact that I still feel very confident in the Lexus brand and truely feel my particular failure was isolated in nature and not indicative of poor manufacturing or engineering.

Thank for allowing me to vent.

Fern
Vent here all you want. It's better to vent on the keyboard, than on your car, you might blow another transmission...

I'm not a diehard Toyota/Lexus fan. If it were up to me, I'd rather like Acura to see the success that Lexus has. I have a RX now and plan on supplimenting it one day with a GS350 AWD, but if Acura can get the RL right, I would more than happy jump to the RL.

Good luck with your transmission...
Old 09-19-06, 05:12 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Fern:

I wish you best of luck in having the issue resolved to your liking by Lexus of Canada.

We see the world through our eyes, and based on personal experience we form opinions. Just keep in mind the real assesment is never based on one personal experience (which may be good or bad).

Salim
Old 09-20-06, 09:04 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by salimshah
Fern:

the real assesment is never based on one personal experience (which may be good or bad).

Salim
I agree,
hence:
"I still feel very confident in the Lexus brand and truely feel my particular failure was isolated in nature and not indicative of poor manufacturing or engineering."
Old 09-20-06, 07:26 PM
Erik
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mine failed at 56K

Mine was replaced under warranty a few years ago with 56K on the odo. I have an aftermarket warranty up to 100K. I have over 5K left on the warranty and I think it will be OK till well after 100K. I plan on keeping the vehicle for quite a while longer.
Old 09-21-06, 04:12 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an aftermarket warranty up to 100K. I have over 5K left on the warranty and I think it will be OK till well after 100K.
Erik, I have lost track of the warranty limits but was thinking of an extended as my car is about 4 years old, why do you have it to 100k, is yours a '99?
Old 09-21-06, 08:58 PM
Erik
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by parula
Erik, I have lost track of the warranty limits but was thinking of an extended as my car is about 4 years old, why do you have it to 100k, is yours a '99?
I have 95K currently on my '99 rx. I purchased a warranty back before the 4/50K bumper to bumper was passed. I got 7yrs 100K. I still have another 5K miles of coverage, I only drive around 10K/year. So far I have only used $200 of
the warranty for a sensor which went a year ago.

Quick Reply: Transmission failure 1999 Rx300 AWD poll