Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003)
Photo DIY:  RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change >

Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change

Notices
RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change

Old 02-20-18, 03:49 AM
b2884987
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan on changing my transmission fluid by drain and fill. After warming up the engine for 15 minutes and draining the ATF, can I fill the ATF by removing and replugging the dipstick to measure and see if the ATF is at its full capacity? By then, will the engine be a bit cold that the measurement will not be accurate?
Old 02-21-18, 08:08 PM
salimshah

Received 276 Likes on 269 Posts

Warming the engine does not wam up the fluid. You need to drive.

Just make sure the transmission housing should be warm to touch [not hot and not cold]. After draining, I suggest let the drained fluid reach room temp. Measure volume and dispose old fluid appropriately. Torque drain plugs to spec. Measure fresh fluid at room temp (match volume of drained) and add it through the dip stick hole.

Why this way ... I have never been able to read the level using dip stick.

Salim
Old 03-17-19, 01:24 PM
serge99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Lexus RX300 Transmission Quality?

Lexus RX300.. Is the transmission of 1999 the same as the transmission of 2003? Or does the newer one have some changes or improvements?
Old 03-17-19, 06:16 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

There are some improvements on the later models.
Old 04-05-19, 06:04 AM
danno52
Driver School Candidate

Looking to change the transmission fluid on a 01 Rx300 awd, and I am just confirming before buying fluid.
So,
4.1 quarts in pan
1 quart in front transaxle/front diff
2 quarts in filler line
Was going to drop pan and filter, so I'm not sure how much more will drain out after this.
Could someone please confirm the total amount for this type of fluid change.

thanks, at 6.1 quarts without excess in filter and pan, so I would presume about 7 quarts or should I have 8 to be sure in case I waste a bit pumping it out of filler line?

Last edited by danno52; 04-05-19 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Adding qustion
Old 04-05-19, 06:06 AM
danno52
Driver School Candidate

One more question is do I need and friction modifier For gear oil in the rear diff and/or transfer case?
Old 04-07-19, 11:05 AM
danno52
Driver School Candidate

Need help asap, did a full trans/filter and cooler drain, my problem is 3 quarts came out of cooler and still no fresh fluid arrived? Should I keep pumping until new stuff comes out, I have 7 fresh quarts in, 8 have come out, with no fresh fluid out of cooler return line still, going to pick up another quart cuz I only bought 7.

Hopefully. Someone knows what's up, or can chime in.
Old 04-07-19, 06:23 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exchanging fluid through the cooler line

Originally Posted by danno52 View Post
Need help asap, did a full trans/filter and cooler drain, my problem is 3 quarts came out of cooler and still no fresh fluid arrived? Should I keep pumping until new stuff comes out, I have 7 fresh quarts in, 8 have come out, with no fresh fluid out of cooler return line still, going to pick up another quart cuz I only bought 7.

I use the cooler line to exchange fluid with new. I have done so since the year after Lexus replaced my trans with a new updated one from Kyushu. Mine is FWD/2WD. I exchange almost three gallons, if I recall correctly, before I start seeing brand new fluid. By about the 10th or 11th quart it starts getting brand-new fluid. It's an easy job, but I use a helper so I'm only drawing about a quart and filling a quart at a time to minimize air. I have a helper crank the engine and let it pump only briefly with a length of hose into a jug so I can see how much is draining and cap the jug with I've got a gallon. This works out nicely. There is still a little air introduced, so expect to top off slightly. It purges out itself quickly, just going through the gears. It's much less messy, seemingly a good method to use if you already have a good seal and no problems for which you need to change out your filter. This is not the same as a pressurized machine that "flushes" the fluid; you are just using the purge through the cooler line and topping off, and not changing your filter. If you have problems already, just drop the pan, change your filter, and refill.

On mine, this new updated (not rebuilt) tranny has been great. I'll keep doing this procedure every year or two, depending on how much I tow. I have an additional cooler, in addition to the factory "tow" cooler stacked in series, both with their own thermostatic (computer) fan in the fender. My fluid stays pretty clean and in good shape now. I have been using the Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic, a multi-vehicle spec fluid that includes type IV from Walmart, less than $20/gallon.

To answer your question again and the question of someone else just before, I exchange through the cooler line without dropping the pan and breaking the pan seal, and you can exchange 10-11 quarts (2WD with an extra cooler) before getting new fluid, because you are exchanging the fluid from the whole system. 4WD might be a little more.

The amounts you were stating were only enough for parts of the system.

I hope this information helps. And if I'm wrong about any of this, these are only my observations and I'm no mechanic. I welcome comments from anyone with more experience. Thanks.

Last edited by LA4Mead; 04-07-19 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-07-19, 06:51 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

Default Amounts of fluid if you drained through the pan

If you drained the pan first, then added fluid, then exchanged through the cooler line, you still have dirty fluid in the system from torque converter and other system parts. You may need more than 3 gallons to purge the system.
Old 04-07-19, 06:56 PM
danno52
Driver School Candidate

3 gallons to purge system? What, please explain.

I followed exact procedure of sticky but replaced a quart more to get fresh fluid at cooler line to no avail, someone, please help??
Old 04-07-19, 09:33 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

Default Amount of ATF to purge system

3 gallons to purge system? What, please explain.

I followed exact procedure of sticky but replaced a quart more to get fresh fluid at cooler line to no avail, someone, please help??
I didn't look at the sticky; does it give an amount to purge the full system for AWD? I didn't know there was a sticky for a cooler line purge; I'll have to look that up. I have a cooler line set up to make this procedure easier/cleaner, and more accessible that I labelled when I added the redundant cooler, but it's pretty straightforward even first time. I'm pretty sure I remember it taking more than 10 quarts to get new fluid at the purge without draining the pan for my 2WD. I buy 3 gallon bottles, and have a little left to top off. I used to buy a case of 12 quarts from the dealer, but found that a waste. The Valvoline Max Life full synthetic fluid seems superior, is in better condition when I change it, and it's competitively priced. Less trash, too. I think it's $18 per gallon; more if you go to an auto parts store.

Does this make more sense?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Photo DIY: RX300 AWD Transmission Fluid, Pan, Filter Change

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: