RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lexus rx 300 2002 VSC light stay on

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-22, 11:39 AM
Monolexus
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus rx 300 2002 VSC light stay on

Does anybody know how to turn off the VSC light? I just brought it 3-4 weeks ago. I was told by the previous owner that the spare is on, so I'm going to get new tires soon. Not sure if that the issue. I Cleaned the gas cap and tighten it but nothing. I going to try a new oem gas cap if work. Any ideas?
Old 10-16-22, 02:04 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Is there a check engine light as well? It sounds like you recently got the vehicle. Did you notice if the check engine light turns on when you first turn the key on?
Old 10-16-22, 02:12 PM
Monolexus
7th Gear

Originally Posted by maxSteel
Is there a check engine light as well? It sounds like you recently got the vehicle. Did you notice if the check engine light turns on when you first turn the key on?
yeah it had check light engine on but i got the 02 sensor replaced. Now the check light is gone, but the VSC light is the only thing turn on. I'm trying to get rid of it before winter.
Old 10-16-22, 07:26 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Do you have VSC button which may be in "off" position. If not you need an advanced reader.

Salim
Old 10-16-22, 07:50 PM
Monolexus
7th Gear

Originally Posted by salimshah
Do you have VSC button which may be in "off" position. If not you need an advanced reader.

Salim
I don't think there's a vsc button. I was looking for it unless im blind. I dont know, i probably go get the tire rotation see if that help based on the other forum topic I've read about tires are not the same speed.
Old 10-16-22, 08:37 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Since you don't have a CEL let's assume it is just a VSC or ABS issue. Does the ABS light work? Wheel speed issues should cause it to light up.
Unless if the spare is a compact it seems unlikely to produce conflicting wheel speed readings, but who knows. If you're getting new tires anyway can just wait and see.

That said, both the VSC and ABS systems will have codes associated with the light. Without the hand-held tester to read them there is a funky procedure to make the lights blink the codes. The procedure for doing it with the ABS is documented in some threads here and I've done it before so I know it works OK. I've never done the one for VSC so I can't recommend it. If you want to find it google for RX300 VSC "Tc and CG".

Old 10-17-22, 05:41 AM
MattRX
Racer

Received 716 Likes on 516 Posts

The VSC light will not be caused by any tire issues. Only EVAP codes, engine/powertrain codes or ABS system issues will bring it up. Since you don’t have a check engine light we can probably throw those other two out the window but should still see if there’s a stored code and the light is intermittent. I would get a scan tool that can do live data and monitor the ABS system. I’m willing to bet it’s just a sensor that’s dirty and is giving inconsistent results.

Worst case scenario a sensor has gone bad or worse the CV axle’s tone ring itself. Usually more so a sensor than a tone ring, but the tone ring is annoying to change because you have to take the entire steering knuckle off and cut the old one off.

If you want to try the gas cap, I’d just grab the gasket itself for the cap as it is a lot cheaper: 77316-33042

I found using a pick and some silicone spray did wonders to get the old one off. Usually they are super dry and hard by now
Old 10-17-22, 05:57 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Originally Posted by MattRX
The VSC light will not be caused by any tire issues. Only EVAP codes, engine/powertrain codes or ABS system issues will bring it up.
It is possible a space saver spare can cause an ABS code because they are smaller than the regular tires. But RX300 doesn't come with a space saver so seems unlikely to me.

Old 10-17-22, 06:32 AM
Monolexus
7th Gear

Alright. I'm going to give the reader a try.
The previous owner told me that it on spare tire which I didn't realize because it look like stock wheel. And the tread on that tire is almost worn down reason why I'm getting new tires. I'm going to get all of this done if today.

Last edited by Monolexus; 10-17-22 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-17-22, 08:41 AM
salimshah

One more thing to keep in mind is that a false code can be generated if the DC voltage is not good.

I had a blown diode in the rectifier [alternator sub-assembly] which was producing non-optimum DC voltage [still good enough to charge the battery]. I wish I had measured the ripple and recorded it, but when the alternator was bench tested, it failed. Once the diode pack was replaced my strange ABS error went away.

Salim
Old 10-17-22, 04:25 PM
Monolexus
7th Gear

Originally Posted by MattRX
The VSC light will not be caused by any tire issues. Only EVAP codes, engine/powertrain codes or ABS system issues will bring it up. Since you don’t have a check engine light we can probably throw those other two out the window but should still see if there’s a stored code and the light is intermittent. I would get a scan tool that can do live data and monitor the ABS system. I’m willing to bet it’s just a sensor that’s dirty and is giving inconsistent results.

Worst case scenario a sensor has gone bad or worse the CV axle’s tone ring itself. Usually more so a sensor than a tone ring, but the tone ring is annoying to change because you have to take the entire steering knuckle off and cut the old one off.

If you want to try the gas cap, I’d just grab the gasket itself for the cap as it is a lot cheaper: 77316-33042

I found using a pick and some silicone spray did wonders to get the old one off. Usually they are super dry and hard by now
I went and check the gasket on the gas cap. Yup it super dry and hard. It like soild. Going to place an order on it.
Old 10-19-22, 03:16 AM
Monolexus
7th Gear

Okay. The VSC is gone. Got it to recalibrate. I just notice that when started the car,the ABS light up for a few sec which is good. It didn't happened before, now everything should be running normal.
Old 10-19-22, 06:58 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Monolexus
Okay. The VSC is gone. Got it to recalibrate. I just notice that when started the car,the ABS light up for a few sec which is good. It didn't happened before, now everything should be running normal.
Right before start, there is self test ... the warning lamps [idiot lights] turn on and the driver is supposed to verify that they are in working order. If they don't light up that means they are blown [or incomplete circuit from the monitoring ECU]. A detailed description is in the owner's manual.

Regrettably too many drivers don't pay attention to the instrument cluster.

Salim
Old 10-19-22, 09:09 AM
Monolexus
7th Gear

Originally Posted by salimshah
Right before start, there is self test ... the warning lamps [idiot lights] turn on and the driver is supposed to verify that they are in working order. If they don't light up that means they are blown [or incomplete circuit from the monitoring ECU]. A detailed description is in the owner's manual.

Regrettably too many drivers don't pay attention to the instrument cluster.

Salim
I didn't realize that my abs didn't light when self check. but here to 300,000 miles ahead.