RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Pulling the EFI fuse & Emissions Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-06, 02:21 PM
mwbuck
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling the EFI fuse & Emissions Inspection

Hey guys.

I took my car for state inspection today @ the local Toyota dealership and it failed because they couldnt get the emissions test to run on the RX300. The only thing that I could think of that would cause this is the fact that I pulled the yellow EFI fuse (like I do every month) this morning in order to reset the transmission. Do you think there is any relation here? They said they hooked it up to the computer and couldnt pull anything from the car. I'm not that worried about it because of Lexus' 8 yr 80,000 mile emissions warranty but just wanted to see what you guys had to say about this.
Old 04-29-06, 03:30 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I can't remember offhand about pulling the EFI and then checking with my uncle's OBDII monitors on the readiness monitors section to see if they showed ready or not. I am 99.9% positive that if you pull the negative battery cable, the readiness monintors won't be ready and you will fail on an OBDII test (I have tried this before). It sounds to me that the readiness monitor test is what they failed you on.

You need to drive the RX around...I would say for an 1 hour with a mix of highway and regular street driving. There is no way to tell without an OBDII scanner (perhaps Autozone) that can read the readiness monitors. These are another way to show that everything is in working order on the vehicle.

If something is wrong with your catalytic converters, there is a CEL that will pop up. Even without precats, I don't get that CEL with my 3-way Magnflow cat.
Old 05-05-06, 07:22 AM
tomv
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbuck
I'm not that worried about it because of Lexus' 8 yr 80,000 mile emissions warranty but just wanted to see what you guys had to say about this.
Don't count on the emissions warranty to help out for everything.

I failed my test last year and hooked up a scanner. My O2 Sensor was bad.
I figured.. If my emissions test failed due to a bad O2 sensor, it must be covered under the emissions warranty. Wrong.

In any case, I replaced the O2 sensor, hooked up my scanner, reset the CEL and followed the readiness cycle on the way to the emissions testing station for my free retest.

As soon as the scanner said everything was ready, I had it tested and passed.

----updated

I found the driving pattern on AllData. Let me know if you are interested in them and I can post them here..

Last edited by tomv; 05-05-06 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-05-06, 12:33 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tomv
Don't count on the emissions warranty to help out for everything.

I failed my test last year and hooked up a scanner. My O2 Sensor was bad.
I figured.. If my emissions test failed due to a bad O2 sensor, it must be covered under the emissions warranty. Wrong.

In any case, I replaced the O2 sensor, hooked up my scanner, reset the CEL and followed the readiness cycle on the way to the emissions testing station for my free retest.

As soon as the scanner said everything was ready, I had it tested and passed.

----updated

I found the driving pattern on AllData. Let me know if you are interested in them and I can post them here..
Before you replaced the O2 sensor, was the CEL coming back even when you reset it? Also, what was the actual code registered on your scanner? Just curious.
Old 05-05-06, 12:42 PM
tomv
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Before you replaced the O2 sensor, was the CEL coming back even when you reset it? Also, what was the actual code registered on your scanner? Just curious.
P0171, which is the Bank 1 Sensor 1

I'd reset it and it would come back on. Sometimes a few days later sometimes a week. I didn't notice any problems (gas mileage or anything else) so I just dealt with resettting it until emissions time came and I had to get it fixed.
Old 05-05-06, 01:25 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tomv
P0171, which is the Bank 1 Sensor 1

I'd reset it and it would come back on. Sometimes a few days later sometimes a week. I didn't notice any problems (gas mileage or anything else) so I just dealt with resettting it until emissions time came and I had to get it fixed.
That's the one that most often pops up for me unless I am doing some maintenance. I think probably also the most common one for most RX owners.
Old 05-06-06, 06:44 AM
ravengotu
Rookie

Default OBD scanner

What kind do you all have and where do you get one that allows adjustments....???????
Old 05-06-06, 07:35 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ravengotu
What kind do you all have and where do you get one that allows adjustments....???????
I have an Actron scanner, but it is a small one but without the readiness monitors. You can get them at Autozone and they are about $80 USD max. If you spend twice that, you can get one of the bigger ones that comes with the readiness monitors. Snap-On is another good brand but $$$.

As far as ones that does adjustments, I don't know any for the RX300 or even the Harrier specifically.

However, I spoke to an Australian Camry friend not too long ago and some other Lexus/Toyota friends in Asia and they claim there is a chip that can be installed that will allow for modification via a scanner. I know Tom's of Japan had something similar. A few years ago Leo at Weapon-R had an ECU that supposedly got 20 hp.

My friend in Australia was referring to the following: http://www.unichip.us/

However, a vehicle search only showed the LX470 and nothing compatible with the Toyota models listed.

I actually am going to go the Greddy eManage route one day.
Old 05-06-06, 02:48 PM
mwbuck
Driver

After driving the car for a week, I took it in for inspection....everything went fine - passed no problem.