RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Whirring noise between 1st and 2nd gears.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-06, 09:58 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default One Solution

I found one cause of the whirring noise, it turned out to be low power steering fluid level. I always check my PS steering fluid reservior since I found a slow oil leak six months ago, but P/S level was always on "high". Today I replaced 1 quart of P/S fluid as the next trouble shooting step after I replaced tranny fluid and changed P/S belt. The old fluid was not dirty but have enough containments to stain the plastic reservior, the "high" mark I checked was a stain mark.
P/S fluid is more viscosus at cold, combined with low level, the power steering pump must be whining about the thick fluid with air bubbles.
After flushing and refill with Mobil 1 ATF, I took a test drive and the noise is gone, steering feels much better. Tomorrow morning I will do the cold start test. Not sure P/S fluid is the cause for everyone but it is for me. Folks, check you fluid level and check it with engine on to make sure 1) it is circulating 2) the water level moves, not that stain mark that permanently shows "high"

Last edited by TunedRX300; 06-27-06 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-28-06, 06:27 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
I found one cause of the whirring noise, it turned out to be low power steering fluid level. I always check my PS steering fluid reservior since I found a slow oil leak six months ago, but P/S level was always on "high". Today I replaced 1 quart of P/S fluid as the next trouble shooting step after I replaced tranny fluid and changed P/S belt. The old fluid was not dirty but have enough containments to stain the plastic reservior, the "high" mark I checked was a stain mark.
P/S fluid is more viscosus at cold, combined with low level, the power steering pump must be whining about the thick fluid with air bubbles.
After flushing and refill with Mobil 1 ATF, I took a test drive and the noise is gone, steering feels much better. Tomorrow morning I will do the cold start test. Not sure P/S fluid is the cause for everyone but it is for me. Folks, check you fluid level and check it with engine on to make sure 1) it is circulating 2) the water level moves, not that stain mark that permanently shows "high"
Thanks for the info TunedRX300. I'll check it today.
Old 06-28-06, 10:08 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Today my RX is perfectly quiet, no whining even when it is cold. Bye bye whining
Here is why I could not check the fluid level accurately. Notice no fluid coming out of the outlet hole but the "fluid level" does not go down.

This noise is definitely a warning signal. If anyone needs DIY instruction to flush out 1 quart of P/S fluid (not just replacing what is in the reservior), let me know.
Old 06-29-06, 06:18 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Mobil 1 ATF is the best fluid for the PS system that I also found. I had used it previously when I was in the U.S., but could not locate it down here until a short time ago. A step up from the Valvoline synthetic that I had been using. My cousin also used this in his Golf VR6 and he noticed it right away unlike the last time he used a VW PS fluid. No squeaks or funny feeling on the wheel. Some have said the Redline PS fluid is also very good.
Old 06-29-06, 10:33 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plenty of fluid in my RX's power steering reservoir. I'm curious if anyone will trying flushing and adding new fluid to attempt to resolve the whirring noise.
Old 06-29-06, 10:44 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Well, my RX stays at home while I drive my uncle´s 1996 Dodge Caravan to work (job pays big $$$, but not a nice neighborhood) and when I take the RX out on the weekends, no funny noises from the steering, even after sitting for 5 days.

Now with my last two jobs where I would drive the RX to work, in the latter half of each year, more than 6 months after I had the Valvoline stuff cleared it out, it would make the funny noises, especially from a cold start in the morning and it would get a little worse until flushing time.

My earlier experience with Mobil 1 ATF, nothing like that, even after a year.
Old 06-29-06, 10:51 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveJ
Plenty of fluid in my RX's power steering reservoir. I'm curious if anyone will trying flushing and adding new fluid to attempt to resolve the whirring noise.
Dave,
I suggest you change the P/S fluid, after two days, new fluid washed away those stains on the reservior. I have never opened up the P/S reservior since I bought the car, so containments must be from the P/S pump, rack and pinon steering column etc. It is a good preventative maintenance anyway, takes me no more than 30 minutes from clean to clean. Just need couple of hand tools and a jack, cost is <$7 if you DIY.
The system capacity is 1.1 quarts, 2x~3x of what is in the reservior, so don't just replace what is in the reservior.
Old 06-29-06, 11:31 AM
dwsmith37
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has got my curiosity peaked. TunedRX300 will go ahead and post a DIY for the P/S flush. I would like to give it a try to see what happens.